And awaaaay we go! Again. As some know, I recently picked up this '62 Willys p/u. Bought it on the BaT auction site, and had it shipped from the great state of North Carolina. The truck visually is a classic 30 footer, paint/finish wise. Fortunately, it was well represented in the auction pics and there were no real surprises. The reason I liked this particular truck was the engine, features and chassis/body integrity. The engine is the L head, 6-226, Continental straight six "Super Hurricane". I believe as '62 was the last year of production, that this rated @ 115hp and 190 fpt. IMO, the engine is a legend. And this one purrs. The features are, this is a FWD version, with the very desirable Warn over-drive. You can split shift it with the stock 3spd. for a total of 6 spds. or use OD, as I mostly have, as an effective 4th gear on the highway, or when breaking 35 or 40mph. It is something I wouldn't want to live without. Lastly, the tin/steel on this one is super solid all around. Very little filler, no rot/holes etc. anywhere. It lived in SoCal the vast majority of it's life. In short, close up aesthetics aside, this puppy has great bones. Appearance is overrated anyway
This weekend I did a pretty thorough going over, and assessed things. Made a punch list. Lots of little things. Mostly easy, cheap fixes.
At 30 feet.
Mechanically, the only thing that needed immediate attention was the brakes, and the driver's front hub had a fair amount of end play. The brakes didn't firm up until 3/4's to the floor. Upon inspection the master cylinder was basically devoid of fluid. Several toppings and and three rounds of old school bleeding led to nice, firm brake pressure a little north of halfway. And happy to report.....no leaks.
The hub end play was simply poor installation of the spindle jam nuts. Tightened about a turn and a half, locked together, fixed. This however led us to pull both hubs and inspect the inners and the brakes themselves, as we weren't real confident in the prior work. Checked out well, buttoned up. Wish they all worked out that well.
Aesthetically, I thought we'd spruce up the engine and bay area. I want to see as much motor as I can. Needs uncluttering, cleaning, wires/cables re-routed and shortened.
Here's what we got. Way too much spaghetti. Shorten, and reroute, wiring to make a cleaner look. Too many colors. Some orange, not all, is going.
It's dirty. Here's a fender well with spot I cleaned. This finish is actually pretty nice. Time to see it again.
This is just wrong in so many ways. Nuff said.
And now for the one that's really driving me crazy. The whole alternator was attached by a single 1/4" bolt to the engine. And the alternator was super sloppy in the bracket. This was the prior solution.........a slab of orange steel bolted to the head. Ummm, bye-bye.
More pics and progress coming.