I Needed More Focus In My Life - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Car Talk Auto shop and car discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
I Needed More Focus In My Life

...so I bought one!

Austen thought there may be some interest so I thought I would throw a little thread together. When I was 18 my parents bought a 2 year old '13 Ford Focus SE with 38k kms for me to use for school, and we agreed that once I finished school i could either buy it off them or buy my own car. After 4 years with the car and doing all the upkeep and such I kept the old girl. It's a fun little car, I enjoy it and it's great on gas.

Much like tractors I joined a forum at the time called Focus Fanatics when I first got the car and met some really helpful people! They told me the good, bad, ugly and helpful tips about all aspects, especially the 2.0 Flex Fuel Duratec which is a solid motor, except for the DCT auto it's attached to. So far I am at 88k kms and it is still going strong, so after 4 years of braining storming ideas I started to do slight mods, in anticipation for going to the 2019 Focus Fest. I have wanted to go, just to say I have gone once, so this year may be the year!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

On the first of January I got a message on Facebook from a friend John in Michigan, who I had never met, but we talked a lot thru the forums and later Facebook. He said "I have a Christmas present for you, what's your ship to address I'll tell you what it is once it's sent". Sure enough he sent me a picture once it sent and it was a full AEM cold air intake set up for the Focus. He bought out a bunch of parts off a guy's car and already had an intake, so after offering numerous times to pay he said "just pass it on to help someone else if you get tired of it". It has been a difficult last few months, and even before that, and I told him he didn't know how much it meant to me. Once it came in I ordered a new filter, hydrophobic filter boot, and a water bypassing valve which will not fit in my engine bay (they are generic to all the intakes so I have to resell it). I was watching the install video online ready to tear my old intake out when I noticed the relocating bracket for the Mass Air Flow was missing. I called AEM/K&N and talked to a nice woman named Susan who was kind enough to send it all free of charge since I had bought my parts from them, talk about customer service (I had even told her I wasn't the original owner since that is part of the warranty). Once it all came in I took the time to put it on, took some fiddling and some choice words since there isn't much room but it is on and sounds great too!

The last picture was the parts pile before I started putting things on

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
post #3 of 52 Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

I always have my windows down, so some rain guards have been on the list. I went with Team Heko out of Germany, my friends all recommended them over AVS. There was a reseller on Ebay in the US and the Team Heko's were the same price. I have no complaints, I used 3M tape instead of the steel clips provided because my friends suggested it. They looks sleek and they do reduce wind noise quite a bit with the windows down too

Now once some more things come in (and I get some time to install the last part I have to install plus some touch up paint work) I can keep going. Going to be moving to the interior next. Nothing big, just small touches

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 AM
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 7,070
Thumbs up Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Very cool, man! This will be a fun build/update thread to follow!

It's neat you chose to keep your car and do some upgrades to it! That was really nice of your friend to donate the intake. The piping looks good under there and not beat up either for being a used part. Fun to have shiny stuff like that under the hood. Looking forward to seeing what your next updates are.

Nothing like a first car, especially for a guy who's passionate about internal combustion engines. You've got a good car and you were able to start driving it when it was relatively still young on mileage too which is neat. That way if you keep it a long time you can say the majority of miles and maintenance was put on by you.

The Focus meet sounds like a lot of fun and it will be cool to see the photos!

Keep us posted and thanks for the thread!

P.S. Catchy thread title.

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"Be strong and courageous. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will never fail nor abandon you." - Deuteronomy 31:6



Austen is online now  
post #5 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 08:33 AM
10,000 +posts!
 
Ericjr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 10,353
Barn
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Sweet Mikey! You know how I enjoy my Fusion! Glad you enjoying your Focus! Now you need turbo and NOS! Or Austen talk you into Diesel?!

Challenge Met

John Deere 180
John Deere LX172 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345 with snowthrower
1971 Bolens 1256 snow caster
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1972 Sears Custom 8M trailer tug
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised!



.
Ericjr16 is online now  
post #6 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 AM
MTF CSI
 
poncho62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hanover, Ont, Canada
Posts: 4,312
Barn
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Nice looking car. My son in law had a 2005 for years and gave it to my grand daughter, who drove it for 3 more. Just got rid of it a few weeks ago with 300k km on it.

I was never a small car guy, but my wife had an accident in our Chevy van last year and they wrote it off. She said she wanted something smaller and better on gas. We go a good deal on a 3 year old, just off lease Chevy Cruze with 25k km on it. It's a nice little car too, has a 1.4 turbo, gets 35-40 mpg all day long. Only thing about it for me is, getting in and out of it. I'm old and 6 ft.......lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2383443  

Ford LGT100
Ford LGT125
Ford LGT145
Ford LGT165
John Deere STX38
Bolens ST120
poncho62 is online now  
post #7 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 AM
BEWARE...I'm a Cranker!
 
tiretrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East End of Long Island
Posts: 14,822
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Very cool, Mikey! A lot of small improvements add up to a lot better vehicle. I hope you can attend Focusfest.......sounds like a lotta fun. Of course, we'll need a full report

PS: I'm a window down guy also........rain guards are a must.

.....just call me Ellis

Folks say I'm lazy, drunk and stupid. Well, I got news for them......they're only 2/3 right.

They say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but I've always had my best success with a dead squirrel

Want to see what happens when you join parts from about 6 GT's, farm tractors, walkbehinds, ship parts, push mowers, trailers, scrap air compressors, CNC lathes, junk refrigerators, tread mills and more? If so, check out me and Mike's most excellent Gravely Custom Build and Adventure Thread

tiretrx is offline  
post #8 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
tracktortag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ny
Posts: 10,759
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Congratulations, Mikey! Focuses (or is it Focusi?) are neat cars. It's amazing how many aftermarket performance parts are available for them, as I know you already know.

I'm sure you'll have a blast at Focusfest, and probably come home with a few new accessories as well.

You're WAY ahead knowing the car's history too. You couldn't know it any better.

Very nice of your friend to send you the air filter kit too.


Dave
tracktortag is offline  
post #9 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Very cool, man! This will be a fun build/update thread to follow!

It's neat you chose to keep your car and do some upgrades to it! That was really nice of your friend to donate the intake. The piping looks good under there and not beat up either for being a used part. Fun to have shiny stuff like that under the hood. Looking forward to seeing what your next updates are.

Nothing like a first car, especially for a guy who's passionate about internal combustion engines. You've got a good car and you were able to start driving it when it was relatively still young on mileage too which is neat. That way if you keep it a long time you can say the majority of miles and maintenance was put on by you.

The Focus meet sounds like a lot of fun and it will be cool to see the photos!

Keep us posted and thanks for the thread!

P.S. Catchy thread title.
Thanks Austen, he is definitely a nice guy and he didn't have to do it, but you're right it does look much better all shiny! It was in great shape, other than the filter the piping looked like it was never used.

That was why I decided to keep it, being my first car. Plus I knew how it was driven, maintained and where every scratch or bump came from!

Hoping that the Focus meet happens because some of the builds are insane, you would never think so much cool could come from a Focus. They are planning a Mid Michigan Focus meet the 13th of July that I plan to attend and buy some more parts of John!

I wish I could take credit for the catchy title, but a guy I know came up with it for a decal on his car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjr16 View Post
Sweet Mikey! You know how I enjoy my Fusion! Glad you enjoying your Focus! Now you need turbo and NOS! Or Austen talk you into Diesel?!
Thanks Eric! Your Fusion is one nice car, it puts my Focus to shame! Turbo and NOS is a no go, eventually maybe full bolt ons and a tune will be more than enough for me . No diesel yet, only in tractors :

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Nice looking car. My son in law had a 2005 for years and gave it to my grand daughter, who drove it for 3 more. Just got rid of it a few weeks ago with 300k km on it.

I was never a small car guy, but my wife had an accident in our Chevy van last year and they wrote it off. She said she wanted something smaller and better on gas. We go a good deal on a 3 year old, just off lease Chevy Cruze with 25k km on it. It's a nice little car too, has a 1.4 turbo, gets 35-40 mpg all day long. Only thing about it for me is, getting in and out of it. I'm old and 6 ft.......lol
Thanks Harry! I hear many stories about the old Focuses going forever which lead us to buying this one. We looked at the Cruze and they seemed like good little cars but we swung Ford instead. Plus I am not a big fan of the little turbos, just adds another wear part in my opinion . My Dad has a heck of a time getting into the Focus, I am pretty good tho. I'm only 5'9 but all legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrx View Post
Very cool, Mikey! A lot of small improvements add up to a lot better vehicle. I hope you can attend Focusfest.......sounds like a lotta fun. Of course, we'll need a full report

PS: I'm a window down guy also........rain guards are a must.
Thanks Ellis! You got that right. One piece at a time making it the way I want. If I attend you know I will have plenty of pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktortag View Post
Congratulations, Mikey! Focuses (or is it Focusi?) are neat cars. It's amazing how many aftermarket performance parts are available for them, as I know you already know.

I'm sure you'll have a blast at Focusfest, and probably come home with a few new accessories as well.

You're WAY ahead knowing the car's history too. You couldn't know it any better.

Very nice of your friend to send you the air filter kit too.
Thanks Dave, you are right about the aftermarket support for them. Being just cheap, young people cars gives them the perfect market for it. The MK3's like mine are just starting to get a good pool of used parts floating around so I have started watching, my wallet never likes new car stuff



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
post #10 of 52 Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

We had the pressure washer out to clean up the backhoe we are working on so I wanted to do the engine bay in preparation for the show in a couple weeks. The engine bay hasn't been done since we bought it, which will be 4 years the 18th of August. I had taken a picture a couple weeks back of the mess it was, so today I hit it with Gunk, rinsed it, then used general purpose degreaser and rinsed it and then used the foamer nozzle with turtle wax and it turned out slick! Just need to get some shine to it, so everyone suggest Mother's Back To Black so I have to pick some up, maybe tomorrow. Not too bad for a new guy and his first attempt at an engine bay cleaning

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
post #11 of 52 Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 AM
BEWARE...I'm a Cranker!
 
tiretrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East End of Long Island
Posts: 14,822
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say Eric came your way and worked his magic Looks great, Mikey!


.....just call me Ellis

Folks say I'm lazy, drunk and stupid. Well, I got news for them......they're only 2/3 right.

They say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but I've always had my best success with a dead squirrel

Want to see what happens when you join parts from about 6 GT's, farm tractors, walkbehinds, ship parts, push mowers, trailers, scrap air compressors, CNC lathes, junk refrigerators, tread mills and more? If so, check out me and Mike's most excellent Gravely Custom Build and Adventure Thread

tiretrx is offline  
post #12 of 52 Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrx View Post
You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say Eric came your way and worked his magic Looks great, Mikey!



Thanks Ellis! Eric and his old man are light years better than I, I'm just trying to keep up

I had this sitting in my room for over a month so since I had a few minutes, and had the belly shield off anyway from the wash that I would install it

The rear motor mount from the factory is known to be junk, they were too light to start with and wear super quick. There is even a TSB about it. You can go aftermarket performance which is expensive and gives harsh vibrations, of you can get the factory mount from the Focus Electric model which was stronger and a different design. Used the COBB brand instructions to get rhe torque specs and it was only about a 10 minute job (if I had had all the tools ready). Took it for a ride and it is night and day difference, definitely worth the cheap cost! (Was 80 Canadian wirh my discount so around 50 US). I will run it for a week or so and then retorque it

I also had bought some more screws for the belly shield since before I owned it 2 were lost. May as well have it all correct!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
post #13 of 52 Old 06-26-2019, 01:04 PM
10,000 +posts!
 
Ericjr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 10,353
Barn
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Nice job Mikey! Your now getting infected! Soon you rinse off engine weekly like me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Challenge Met

John Deere 180
John Deere LX172 with bagger
1997 John Deere 345 with snowthrower
1971 Bolens 1256 snow caster
1967 Sears Suburban SS10
1972 Sears Custom 8M trailer tug
John 3:16 Psalm 28:7
"Complain and remain, praise and be raised!



.
Ericjr16 is online now  
post #14 of 52 Old 06-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Senior MTF Pollster
 
Austen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 7,070
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Quote:
Or Austen talk you into Diesel?!
Quote:
my wallet never likes new car stuff
His wallet would not like it even more! Diesel modifications are expensive!

Quote:
I had this sitting in my room for over a month so since I had a few minutes, and had the belly shield off anyway from the wash that I would install it

The rear motor mount from the factory is known to be junk, they were too light to start with and wear super quick. There is even a TSB about it. You can go aftermarket performance which is expensive and gives harsh vibrations, of you can get the factory mount from the Focus Electric model which was stronger and a different design. Used the COBB brand instructions to get rhe torque specs and it was only about a 10 minute job (if I had had all the tools ready). Took it for a ride and it is night and day difference, definitely worth the cheap cost! (Was 80 Canadian wirh my discount so around 50 US). I will run it for a week or so and then retorque it

I also had bought some more screws for the belly shield since before I owned it 2 were lost. May as well have it all correct!
Nice job on the fix. Speaking of Cobb, they offer some great tuning!

1985 Bolens HDT 1000 #11


1977 Economy Powerking Tractor


"Be strong and courageous. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will never fail nor abandon you." - Deuteronomy 31:6



Austen is online now  
post #15 of 52 Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Hahn Star

 
MikMan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,144
Re: I Needed More Focus In My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjr16 View Post
Nice job Mikey! Your now getting infected! Soon you rinse off engine weekly like me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be right Eric, at least until after the shows stop. Then it will be a disaster after the winter :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
His wallet would not like it even more! Diesel modifications are expensive!



Nice job on the fix. Speaking of Cobb, they offer some great tuning!
You got that right Austen, even replacement parts are expensive let alone fun stuff!

It will get tuned far later down the road. The DCT has one year left of warranty, and one of my friends plans to do a major driveline swap on his within the next year so I am going to buy his manual transmission setup to swap into mine. Once I have a reliable driveline it will be good to go! I will be going with a Devil tune tho from Mike at Rebel Devil Customs out of Noblesville Indiana. I'm told by many guys running it that it's the best out there, plus being friends with Mike on Facebook I have talked with him quite a bit and he's an A+ guy with a great small business!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk



Challenge Met

Have you met "The Fahn" yet?

https://www.mytractorforum.com/189-o...meet-fahn.html
MikMan48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome