Rebuilding my First JD GT
Join Date: Aug 2013
John Deere GT Steering Wheel puller Plate
I'm not sure the best place to put this so I placed it here. Mod's please move to appropriate area if required.
So Yesterday I needed to pull a few steering wheels from some tractors to make use of one I got from Jared and because... well just being able to pull a steering wheel from any of my JD tractors with out damaging either the steering wheel or scratching the column is something I wanted to be able to do.
Being as how I am cheap-horses backside, I decided I would use some left over 1/4" Mild Steel scraps from other projects.
I started out by measuring the steering column and that is 1.5" in Diameter. Next I needed to know the widest circumference around the hub of the wheel to determine how wide I would need the piece of scrap to be. I measured 2.5" at the widest or thickest part of the steering wheel hub. With that information I set out to find a piece of scrap to fit the bill. I found the perfect piece "OK maybe not perfect but good enough" to get the job done.
I found the center of the scrap piece and center punched a divot to use for drawing out the circles. Then I marked an inner circle for the steering column radius 1/8" over sized for wiglge room and errors followed by an outer circle for the wheel hub. Then marked two straight lines so I could cut out the area that will slide around the steering wheel column and under the wheel itself.
Next I marked and center punched two spots wide enough for two puller bolts to just fit outside the steering wheel hub. I am going to be using this plate along with a OEM Gear Puller I use to pull flywheels off of the motors.
Once I had the plate all laid out and marked for cutting and drilling I went to town. It went pretty smooth and once the cutting and drilling was done I tapped the holes for 5/16 NC18 threads. I put it to use right away thinking it might bend if one of the wheels is on pretty good and stubborn. Sure enough the first wheel I used it on caused it to bend. So I had a back up plan anticipating this. I beat on it with a steel mallet on the anvil base of my bench vise to make it straight again and welded on some more scrap pieces I had laying around. This added some strength to the plate by using right angles around the outside to stiffen it up a bit. It's not perfect but in a hurry it's a lot better than nothing and a little flat black paint should make it look half decent.
Pictures will explain the rest.
73 140 H1, 75 214, 79 JD 317 Onan P218G, 19xx Wheel Horse D250 550 Arc FEL ARPS Box blade
69 JD 140 H3, 75 JD 300, 79 JD 317 Kohler KT17QS II, 83 JD 420, late 80s JD 316, 90 JD 316,
2x 300 series 3PH, Johnson Workhorse 12, Gannon Earthcavator 32, 2x JD 54 4way blade, 2x JD 33 Tiller + 8" Extension, JD 38 Brass tag mower deck, JD 48 mower deck, JD #30 Hydro Tiller, Disks, Plow, ARPS Angling Backblade,
Last edited by N2 Tractors; 01-22-2019 at 06:44 PM.