I had a 2 shelf storage cart since the 80s and recently have been wanting to add at least one drawer to it for more space. Then I got the idea of modifying an old tool chest so I started watching CL and FB. A Craftsman 3 drawer chest in fair condition showed up and a deal was done. $35 and the guy threw in a dead Ryobi 18V NiCad One+ batt that I wanted for a hack project. The box was actually $25 but I kicked in another $10 for him meeting 1/2 way. This is a bit later red Craftsman box when the quality was reduced but not as bad as the later black painted stuff. The steel is amazingly soft.
I used a 1 1/8" hole saw to cut out 4 nice round corners and then used tin snips to finish the cutout. I cut to the inner edge of the 4 holes so I would have about 1" of metal to bend into a nice finished lip. This reinforces the opening and also creates a safe edge so you don't lose skin when reaching in. I used a section of 1/2" x 1" aluminum bar clamped to the inner side of the box to form the bent lip against. The lips form a full U shape. You have to make the bends progressively to have good results. Just a little bit of bend on each pass until you've got the bend you want. This is a bit later red Craftsman box when the quality was reduced but not as bad as the later black painted stuff. The steel is amazingly soft.
Once I had the opening the way I wanted it I hit the box with a sander to clean off the loose rust and paint and then brushed on some Rustoleum rusty metal primer. After it set a couple of days I scuffed it up with 280 paper and then brushed on some Glidden Porch and Floor gray paint. I use this stuff a lot for this sort of project. While I had the paint out I also painted the crusty parts of my belt grinder project
Lastly, I used various pieces of aluminum stock I had laying around to form the upper lip. The front piece of 'angle' actually started out as some Tee stock that had teeth on the now missing section. I think it was originally some sort of rake for asphalt or ?? I bought 2 of them for very little money from a salvage store that closed in the early 80s !!! Don't throw anything away !!! Anyway, I cut off the toothed section of the Tee on my bandsaw and then bolted the rest to the box top using holes that were already in the alum stock. They are off set from center but
Existing holes are my favorite !!
The other 3 sides are just 2"x1/8" alum left over from my Hot Rod Hood projects. The 4 angle alum sections at the corners are from a road side trash pile find [ clamp on wind deflector for the top of a truck cab ]. I took a good bit of care so there are no gaps and all the edges line up. While doing this part I had 3 cordless drills, a cordless ratchet and a cordless 3/8" impact on the workbench at the same time. Gotta love cordless !!!
Now comes part 2 !!! The storage cart goes under one of my workbenches. The new cart is about 3" taller than the old one and there is a 4 outlet electrical box just above the cart that needed to be moved. As I was deciding where to put the outlet box I realized that by putting it at the end closest to the door I would dramatically increase it's accessibility. Where it was at before seemed like a good idea at the time but it was actually a pain in the neck having to bend down and reach in there to plug something up. I also decided to add a 2 outlet box to the backside of the existing 4 outlet box to further improve the ease of use. Sadly, I had to go buy a box, outlet and plate
I dug through one of my diamond plate tool box storage trailers and found some roadside bed rail with keyhole slots that were perfect for the existing mounting holes in the electric box. I welded it in place on a leg and screwed the box in place and kapow !!! Better !
While I was in progress on the box I was trying to decide what to put in my 3 new horizontal surfaces. AH HA !!! Cordless tool battery chargers !!! Luckily the biggest one [ Stihl 36V ] barely fit the bottom drawer which just happened to be 4" tall whereas the other two drawers are 3" tall. Then in the middle drawer I decided to put all my sandpaper and sanding blocks. I have 2 rolls that had to go in the bottom. The top drawer is still mostly empty.