My Tractor Forum banner

Have you replaced your x-Series instrument cluster?

34K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  CCMoe 
#1 ·
If you have and would like to know how to adjust your hour meter to display the correct value, please take a look at my solution. (Note: it seems that many x-Series owners have either purchased a tractor with a failing or dead instrument cluster, or experienced it during ownership.)

A few weeks ago I posted a question asking for help locating a specific wiring harness connector (http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-jo...ou-replaced-your-x-series-wiring-harness.html). A few MTF members helped identify the type of plug for me - thank you again!

Now the reason behind the request: when I purchased my '03 x595 in the Spring of 2012, the hour meter LCD display was failing. At the time of sale, the hour meter showed 311 hours, but the display was dim and portions of the digits were missing. I had the JD dealer produce a document attesting to the hours on the machine. At the time, JD wanted a pretty penny for a new instrument cluster (about half of what they're going for now). I resisted for a while but finally purchased a new one. I wrapped up the old cluster and then applied a decal under the hood stating "+316.7 hours".

Over the years I've performed my maintenance and simply added the old hours to the hours on the new cluster when recording maintenance. But it always bugged me, as I thoroughly enjoy this tractor and have no intention of selling it at any point in the next few decades. So I was determined to find a way to adjust the hours to display the correct, current amount.

I tried finding the answer in the shop manual schematics but kept coming up empty. It dawned on me that the display is passive, and does not factor in to the starting & running of the tractor - it merely reports information. Armed with that insight, I unplugged the instrument cluster harness, started the tractor and then metered each pin. I thought that whatever +/- values I found would be the same values received by the instrument cluster during normal engine-on operation.

Probing the harness revealed one pin with power and 8 ground pins. So I created a small harness using the correct 20-pin connector, female pins, some 18g wire and a 12v power supply. Once complete, I attached my adaptor to the dash, crossed my fingers, and plugged the power supply in. The glow plug light came on for a moment and the hour meter started blinking. :)

I've added approximate 158 hours to the tractor since installing the new instrument cluster, so now it was time to pile on 316.7 more to get the tractor to the correct reading. I've done just that over the last two weeks - only plugging in the tractor's harness in order to clear the maintenance reminder that illuminates every 100 hours.

The hour meter adjustment is now done, showing the correct hours that are in the machine. Some may find this rather silly, or frown upon the action of adjusting equipment hours. I see it differently - it's my tractor that I truly enjoy and have maintained & bettered in many ways. I'd like for the display to accurately reflect the hours on the machine. I view this as the polar opposite of odometer fraud/tampering. :)

My initial attempts at waking up the old display:

Wiring harness connector that plugs into the instrument cluster:

The harness adaptor that I created:

Adaptor plugged in and hour meter running:

I disconnected my adaptor once the hour meter showed the correct value:

Andreas

See less See more
#2 ·
Fantastic! Awesome idea!
Thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
Thank you.

I was hesitant to post this idea, but then realized that the only people who would fail to see the benefit are shady tractor flippers. :)

My tractor could easily pass for the 158 hours that my new instrument cluster racked up since 2012. But I'm an honest guy and I also know that the instrument clusters are date stamped...

Andreas

#3 ·
I have seen many so called low hour x4,x5 units and it's not hard to figure out the dash problem plays into this.The dealer should only sell the dash and take in the old as a core so they can adjust the hours on the new dash.I would rather buy yours with true hours then a 200 hour CL tractor.

#6 ·
The dealer should only sell the dash and take in the old as a core so they can adjust the hours on the new dash.I would rather buy yours with true hours then a 200 hour CL tractor.
I think you meant to say that only dealers should be allowed to sell new clusters (in order to ensure the tractors display the correct hours). Agree, but that would be too much work for a parts department....

I agree though, I've seen many an ad for low-hour but beat-up looking x-Series tractors. Case in point - my neighbor purchased a 300-hour 2005 x595 a few months ago. We were both skeptical at the hours since the tractor had an abundance of cosmetic issues. One of the first things we did was to replace the worn steering column bushings. This meant taking the entire dash apart.

Sure enough - the rear of the instrument cluster was hot-stamped with "08".

Andreas

#5 ·
I'm with you man. All the way of what you said.

#7 ·
I guess I haven't put a 100 hours on my X495 since I got it............When and if the maintenance reminder light illuminates after 100 hours. How do I shut it off?

#12 ·
I'm envious of your mechanical and technical skills. That is at the outer edge of my ability.

I purchased my 2004 X485 last June. At that time the hour meter read 471 hrs but was working intermittently. Shortly thereafter it quit altogether. The former owner said it had been acting up for around a year and a half. Based on his maintenance records and calculating his average yearly use, my guesstimate was between 650 and 700 hours on the machine. The local Deere dealer where he bought it new (same one I use) had done a lot of routine maintenance on it said my guess was probably in the ballpark.

Anyways, my way of keeping track of hours going forward was to install a Hobbs analog hour meter ($20) under the left side radiator screen. I tapped into the wire that supplies the light switch with power. Pretty basic but performs it designed task well. I have to remove the screen to clean the radiator area after every other mowing, so it's easy to monitor.

#14 ·
Good solution. Although it's easy to understand why, it's unfortunate that JD opted to make the hour meter integral to the instrument cluster. A new one currently costs $760!

Andreas your investigation and solution is brilliant and in no way is it unethical, I would feel the same satisfaction as you knowing the true hours of my tractor on its current, working gauge!
Thank you for the kind words. :fing32:

Andreas

#16 ·
Very good idea, I have a dumb question, couldn't you have just hooked up a battery tender and left the ignition switch on and let the hours tick off?

#18 ·
On gas models you would want to at least unplug coils and fuel pump. I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thanks for setting me straight, I know the older ones if you left the key on the hour meter would be running. That is a great set up that you did and Thanks for sharing.

#23 ·
If you have and would like to know how to adjust your hour meter to display the correct value, please take a look at my solution. (Note: it seems that many x-Series owners have either purchased a tractor with a failing or dead instrument cluster, or experienced it during ownership.)

A few weeks ago I posted a question asking for help locating a specific wiring harness connector (http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-jo...ou-replaced-your-x-series-wiring-harness.html). A few MTF members helped identify the type of plug for me - thank you again!

Now the reason behind the request: when I purchased my '03 x595 in the Spring of 2012, the hour meter LCD display was failing. At the time of sale, the hour meter showed 311 hours, but the display was dim and portions of the digits were missing. I had the JD dealer produce a document attesting to the hours on the machine. At the time, JD wanted a pretty penny for a new instrument cluster (about half of what they're going for now). I resisted for a while but finally purchased a new one. I wrapped up the old cluster and then applied a decal under the hood stating "+316.7 hours".

Over the years I've performed my maintenance and simply added the old hours to the hours on the new cluster when recording maintenance. But it always bugged me, as I thoroughly enjoy this tractor and have no intention of selling it at any point in the next few decades. So I was determined to find a way to adjust the hours to display the correct, current amount.

I tried finding the answer in the shop manual schematics but kept coming up empty. It dawned on me that the display is passive, and does not factor in to the starting & running of the tractor - it merely reports information. Armed with that insight, I unplugged the instrument cluster harness, started the tractor and then metered each pin. I thought that whatever +/- values I found would be the same values received by the instrument cluster during normal engine-on operation.

Probing the harness revealed one pin with power and 8 ground pins. So I created a small harness using the correct 20-pin connector, female pins, some 18g wire and a 12v power supply. Once complete, I attached my adaptor to the dash, crossed my fingers, and plugged the power supply in. The glow plug light came on for a moment and the hour meter started blinking. :)

I've added approximate 158 hours to the tractor since installing the new instrument cluster, so now it was time to pile on 316.7 more to get the tractor to the correct reading. I've done just that over the last two weeks - only plugging in the tractor's harness in order to clear the maintenance reminder that illuminates every 100 hours.

The hour meter adjustment is now done, showing the correct hours that are in the machine. Some may find this rather silly, or frown upon the action of adjusting equipment hours. I see it differently - it's my tractor that I truly enjoy and have maintained & bettered in many ways. I'd like for the display to accurately reflect the hours on the machine. I view this as the polar opposite of odometer fraud/tampering. :)

Andreas
I am continually amazed at what you and several other members are capable of.:thThumbsU

Oh and nice floor also. When I redid my garage I opted for Seal Krete, not as durable but looks good.

#25 ·
I appreciate your desire to be honest with your machine, but if you can advance the new meter to suit your needs who is to know what is real? I have bought new clusters and new hour meters and have always given the new owner the old one when I sell them. If they want to cheat then it is their problem and their conscience and I can't change that. I understand what you are doing but I don't understand the reason. In five years from when you advanced the new meter who can say then that this is the correct amount of hours? You can and in your heart you will know it is the truth. But once the new buyer knows that it is a new meter that has been advanced, it is only your word that it is the correct time. I'm not being argumentative only trying to see the efficacy of what you are doing.

#29 ·
That's why I asked what his purpose was. I can see the maintenance angle but to me once I heard "Altered" concerning the hour meter I would continue with the many other things I look at regardless of the hours on the meter. We have all had this discussion on this site and digital hour meters are very prone to failure. I would rather a seller tell me that it failed than to tell me he had fooled with it. It is only my preference and not a condemnation of doing it. I too have things that I want to be correct on the tractors that I redo. I cannot abide broken or chipped plastic or ripped or pulled-away-from-the-pan seats. Needless to say many here do not care about these items since they do not affect the function of their tractors. I truly wanted to know what the purpose of this advancing of the hour meter was. I also wonder if the rapid advancing of it might cause it to fail prematurely like the first one. JD should be ashamed of this design. I have a 345 with 260 hours on the broken meter. It is a 1999 so you can imagine how many real hours are on it. It set in a barn for five years unused. I figured that at 55 hours a year it would have about 650 hours. Luckily for me, I found a used meter on Ebay with 654 hours on it and along with the old one, I will present it to the new owner and the explanation of the current hours. I guess it is like advancing the hour meter but without all of the effort.

#35 ·
I also wonder if the rapid advancing of it might cause it to fail prematurely like the first one.
The way I understood it there was nothing rapid about it. He simply provided power to the meter to duplicate a running engine and left it that way for the ~316-ish hours required to get it back to the 'correct' reading. Other than being powered on for a longer period of time than normal there really is nothing that would/could cause extra wear on it. Or did I misunderstand?

Rob

#30 ·
^ inspectorrudy: You buy & sell tractors (presumably to make a profit). That's great.

I don't. This is my personal 14-year old x595 that I've grown very fond of over the last five years. Due to my efforts, it's now in exceptional shape, mechanically as well as cosmetically.

The incorrect hours shown on the new instrument cluster always bothered me. No one else, just me. I enjoyed the challenge of creating this 'solution' and did it for my own edification. By posting it on MTF, I knew I was inviting criticism, but I also hoped the idea may prove useful to others.

I'm sorry you view this as a wasted exercise on my part, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Andreas

#31 ·
Andreas, you the man, one of these days I'll finish my page on my 2012 cluster in my 2004 X595. My hour dilemma is would I run my meter up to old engine hour of 2k plus or used engine at just 400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Andreas, you the man, one of these days I'll finish my page on my 2012 cluster in my 2004 X595. My hour dilemma is would I run my meter up to old engine hour of 2k plus or used engine at just 400.
Hmm. That's a head-scratcher. Either way, you're welcome to use my adaptor.

Andreas

#33 ·
I'm sorry you have misunderstood me. I only wanted to know the reason you went to so much trouble to set the hour meter. I was not criticizing you at all. As I said, I too have issues that I like to be as near perfect as possible and can understand your desire to make something perfect. You are correct that in my case I would not bother to go to that trouble because most buyers are happy with the old meter and the new one I install. On this forum when someone questions a procedure done by another, it usually means that they are thinking about it and seeing it from a different viewpoint. I have posted many things here that I learned from feedback that helped me improve my methods.

#39 ·
I appreciate your skill and devotion to honesty but for most of us, that is simply not worth the effort. I always give the new owner the old cluster or Hobbs meter when they purchase a tractor from me wear I have replaced the meter. Technically you now have a tractor with a "Tampered" hour meter and that too could be construed as devious. You know and we that read about your noble efforts know that you are trying to be true to yourself and the tractor. But in a deposition, to be truthful, you would have to say that you tampered with the hour meter. I am not sure but I would imagine that in some states that would be illegal just as tampering with an odometer is. You see I am living proof that no good deed goes unpunished!

#41 ·
I appreciate your skill and devotion to honesty but for most of us, that is simply not worth the effort. I always give the new owner the old cluster or Hobbs meter when they purchase a tractor from me wear I have replaced the meter. Technically you now have a tractor with a "Tampered" hour meter and that too could be construed as devious. You know and we that read about your noble efforts know that you are trying to be true to yourself and the tractor. But in a deposition, to be truthful, you would have to say that you tampered with the hour meter. I am not sure but I would imagine that in some states that would be illegal just as tampering with an odometer is. You see I am living proof that no good deed goes unpunished!
It would only be considered devious if he rolled the hours back. The man made an honest adjustment. Who's gonna take him to court for a deposition? Lighten up.

#42 ·
"It would only be considered devious if he rolled the hours back. The man made an honest adjustment. Who's gonna take him to court for a deposition? Lighten up."

I figured I would get the old "Lighten up" line so I threw in the "No good deed goes unpunished" comment to try and show that I was making a point about altering anything for whatever reason can lead to another problem. Is irony over your head?

#44 ·
No at all, wise guy, but you are just making a mountain out of a mole hill. The guy did a good thing and you're raking him over the coals.

#45 ·
And what coals did I rake him over? I said it was a noble deed and that his honesty was to be admired. I pointed out that just like your driver's license and any other "Official" document once you tamper with it, no matter the intent, it is no longer true. I didn't say he was dishonest. Think about his tractor in five years when he goes to sell it and it has 1800 hours on it. He tells the new or prospective buyer that he altered the hour meter to make it correct by adding hours to it. What is the new buyer supposed to think at that point? Would you believe a seller saying that? Wouldn't it be more straight forward to just hand him the original meter with the hours on it when it failed? Lighten up.

#47 ·
You said what he did was devious, which means dishonest. He wasn't. You owe him an apology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.