This is what a 100 ft tree looks like on a house - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

My Place Pics and stories about your home and property

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM   post #1 of 18
nuttsaboutgreen
MTF Member

MTF Member # 30420
Default This is what a 100 ft tree looks like on a house

This happened three months after we bought our house when the remnants of hurricane Ike came through last fall. We bought the house because of the trees and then the biggest fell on our house, it was a bit depressing. This one had a nice bench around the truck that was part of the deck. When My brother came to see the house, the first thing he said was "boy, that's gonna be fun one of these days".

nuttsaboutgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM   post #2 of 18
Bolens 1000
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 28563
Default Re: This is what a 100 ft tree looks like on a house

Looks like the chain saw got a workout!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   post #3 of 18
jeepersmitty
Retired Aug.31 2007

MTF Member # 6130

That looks like it would be rough to take down without a bucket truck.

I always know...
God won't give me more than I can handle
There are times I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much.
jeepersmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 PM   post #4 of 18
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Wow .. that was one heck of a tree !!

I really like red oaks ... the biggest tree and my favorite on my property is a red oak about that size.

Which will have to be taken down soon unfortunately .. its dying
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 PM   post #5 of 18
nuttsaboutgreen
MTF Member

MTF Member # 30420

It sat like that for a week before the insurance guy got someone to take it down. Everyone I called said they would come look at it, then I wouldn't hear from them again.

Actually, it took a crane and a bucket truck. They had to take down a smaller tree in order to get the crane in the back yard. It was really impressive to see how they did it without damaging the house any more than it already was.

The chainsaw was courtesy of my brother and it worked great. After this, I went out and bought a Husqvarna saw because I was so impressed. Mine is smaller though, he works for the state and can afford the larger toys.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 PM   post #6 of 18
wilberj
Moved on....

MTF Member # 15653
Post Re: This is what a 100 ft tree looks like on a house

Thatís one big oak. I would love to have that big chunk for my woodworking.
Large frame-1250-0?, 1250-02, 1455-01, 1455-02, 1476-01, 1477-01, 1886-prototype, 1886-01, 1886-02, 1886-03 With FEL, 1886-04, 1886-04, 1886s-05 (HT18) Cat, 1886s-06 (HT18), 1886s-06 (HT18), HT-20, HT-20 With FEL and Backhoe,
5 Ridemasters, Bean Cutler, Ride a matic, 3 Power ho
26 Suburban, 510, 610, 775, Estate Keeper
You can find me here>>> www.gardentractortalk.com
wilberj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM   post #7 of 18
HiPocket
Landscaping Nut

MTF Member # 5863

That trees was too close to the house in the first place. It would have been gone long before if my property.

I wouldn't want to risk foundation problems or death by crushing.

I have a good and reasonable tree guy who's done work on three properties. Has an awesome bucket truck, neaderthal looking/size chipper, log truck with super size bobcat with claws.
HiPocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM   post #8 of 18
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

DOOHHH!! I have about 10-15 of that size around me. What kinda damange did the house take??? bet that made a heck of a BANG when she broke!!!

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM   post #9 of 18
nuttsaboutgreen
MTF Member

MTF Member # 30420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingersoll444 View Post
DOOHHH!! I have about 10-15 of that size around me. What kinda damange did the house take??? bet that made a heck of a BANG when she broke!!!
Luckily, we weren't home when it fell. The neighbor said it was pretty loud though. We ended up with an all new roof, gutters, and a few ceiling repairs. I was just glad the hot tub didn't get hit. We moved it from the old house and it was only setup for about a week prior to this.

Our neighbor says were not allowed to leave town anymore because every time we do, something happens. First this, then the ice storm last winter took out our power, then a few months ago a kid got shot at the grade school down the road.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM   post #10 of 18
ekcwmi
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33121

Here is what 100 YEAR OLD tree looks like (look at the height of the root ball compared to my neighbor standing there) when it hit my neighbors garage after a tornado:

At the rear it hit a Ford pickup and a bass boat, then on the inside was a Cadaliac Elderado and his motorcycle. All were totaled and since they were just stored and not used, all were uninsured. No coverage was paid.
ekcwmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 PM   post #11 of 18
nuttsaboutgreen
MTF Member

MTF Member # 30420

Oh man, and I felt bad when my tree hit the neighbors and tore off a few shingles and some trim.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:28 AM   post #12 of 18
david doyle
Banned

MTF Member # 8803

Ouch glad no one was hurt. What happens in those new housing developments is that the removal of other trees leaves the remaining trees far less windfirm. See it on cut blocks as well. A tree that stood for centuries when robbed of it's cousins comes down the first major storm (20-50 years). If a tree grows up on it's own it is fine but one that grew in a forest can't last in a subdivision. Just try and get proffessional liability insurance to do hazard tree assessment in urban areas and you'll see what a risk each tree is.
A tree that large that close to a house is a serious risk. Everyone loves stately (and it sells) but I would'nt live under a canopy of spears like that.

Another big no no and it is evident in all pics shown here is the grading of yards which removes material from the root network, weakening and possibley causing disease. The root wad in that 100 year old tree pic is seriously lacking some mass. You see root wads like that on trees prone to rot or trees that grew up in high density stands that were subsequently thinned.

Better off making firewood of trees like that and replanting a fast growing replacement.

Last edited by david doyle; 10-25-2009 at 02:34 AM.
david doyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 04:23 AM   post #13 of 18
BOOMINIT
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22277

You have my sympathy for your damages. I just took down a 100 ft. elm tree
this past week that died this spring from dutch elm disease. We were waiting on a tree service to come and take it down when it dropped a 35 ft. 18 inch limb and damaged my garage, a car and motorcycle. The tree service was doing a similar job 50 miles away yet, so I located one working in the area that would do it immediately to prevent more damage. Any decent tree service in this area is busier than ever this year and I appreciate the outfit that made time to top my tree off to where it was safe and then finish it when they were back in the area. I sleep better at night now that I know a tree limb won't be joining me in my bedroom. I will miss that big elm though, I've owned this place 30 years and that tree was one of the reasons for buying it. Those huge elms are beautiful and really rare after the first wave of dutch elm eliminated over 90% of them 40 years ago.
BOOMINIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 AM   post #14 of 18
ekcwmi
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33121

Quote:
Originally Posted by david doyle View Post
What happens in those new housing developments is that the removal of other trees leaves the remaining trees far less windfirm.
See 1.
Another big no no and it is evident in all pics shown here is the grading of yards which removes material from the root network, weakening and possibley causing disease. The root wad in that 100 year old tree pic is seriously lacking some mass. You see root wads like that on trees prone to rot or trees that grew up in high density stands that were subsequently thinned.
See 2.
1. Where did you get the impression that this was a new housing development? These houses have been here for over 20 years and a very minimal number of trees were removed when they were built. We all enjoyed the "stately" manor of the trees, and the cooling shade they provide to our homes. Unfortunatly we have a lot of pine trees that are very weak due to pine beetles and we must thin them out as time goes on. Yes this may weaken the remaining ones but it is a necessity.

2. Just a note about the "grading" you see in the pictures. The lot that has the fresh grading had over 50 trees on it prior to the storm. It was in it's natural state before taking a direct hit from 120 mph winds. There was not one tree that was not damaged on that lot so the owner cleared it and is now replanting it. These pictures were taken during the clean up process, about 5 days after the storm hit. All totaled they took about 95 TRUCK LOADS of damaged trees out of a 1 square mile area.
ekcwmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM   post #15 of 18
Chagrin
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 11011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberj View Post
Thatís one big oak. I would love to have that big chunk for my woodworking.
You and me think alike. All I see is about 700 bd. ft. of oak that almost got ruined by that house.
Chagrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.