Walk behind spreader converted to tow-behind - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Home Made Tractors, Implements and Accessories For you guys handy with a blow torch, welder or a wrench.. show us what you can do....

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM   post #1 of 3
PurplDodge
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 30647
Default Walk behind spreader converted to tow-behind

Last weekend my dad was putting new doors on the shed and while he had the doors off i peeked in and saw this fertilizer spreader that one of my auntes gave to us. I was bored so I took it into the garage with me.
This is what it started out as, Rusty and man-powered:

It has a small plastic hopper, but the handles and bars are just painted steel, and were very rusty. Prolly sat outside for a time.
So, the first thing I did was try to remove the walk behind handle and the bar that it rests on. Major PITA because whatever idiot at Red Devil Manufacturing thought it was a great idea to use bare steel carriage bolts and plastic wing nuts to assemble the spreader. So, learned how to use a grinder for the first time (WOOT!) and just cut the resting part out. Then, I took the upper handle apart and attached it horizontially to the spreader's frame to use as the mount for the tow bar. Next I took the flow control lever off the bottom of the spreader because it will not be long enough to attach the way I want it to on the tractor's seat. And finnaly I took apart the plastic gear case and pumped it full of fresh grease (I'm anal about stuff like that!). This is how it stands now, held by a hammer!!!

I still need to get a throttle control lever from a push mower, make a tow bar, get stainless steel hardware, a tractor to pull it (My dad said that in its current state I made it for a midget!!!), and paint it to match that tractor. I think I have done good for taking only 1.5 hour and beng 14!
PurplDodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM   post #2 of 3
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909
Default Re: Walk behind spreader converted to tow-behind

Ha ha, you are really puttin the cart before the horse, as you don't even have a horse (GT) yet. Good for you though. I mow with a push mower, but keep thinking I need to get an old 25 inch huffy or something so I can ride instead, who needs the exercise. I have garden tractors, but I only use them for plowing snow and driving my wife crazy.

Looking for:
Hi/Lo pulley kit for a 64/65' Broadmoor
The winning powerball numbers
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
MADD Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM   post #3 of 3
PurplDodge
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 30647
Default Re: Walk behind spreader converted to tow-behind

I do get a lot of exercise with a push mower. But I also mow a 6 acre apartment complex with a Ariens Grand Sierra GT/SCUT. And that is a BIG tractor!!! Just like to have a smaller GT in the garage to re-live that feeling mowing grass and plowing snow.

I just had another idea looking at the small red cart in the first pic (Which BTW I made to use with my bicycle a few years ago!!!)! Take an old wheelbarrel and make a dump cart!!! You guys give me more ideas for home built tractor attachments! I already have plans for the wheelbarrow, and building a brush mower like pocono did in this section.
PurplDodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.