John Deere 420 charging light - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM   post #1 of 12
verybadace
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2416
Default John Deere 420 charging light

Hi,
I have seen a subject post on the charging system of the John Deere 420. Just can't seem to find it. My battery light on the dash comes on once in awhile. It will sometimes blink on and off. Then sometimes stays on for short periods of time. Lately, it has been more. Also, now when you kick on the PTO the battery light comes on and stays on. Just started doing that. Anyone have any ideas?
verybadace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 PM   post #2 of 12
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: John Deere 420 charging light

You have a problem with your charging system. My first recommendation would be to disconnect and clean EVERY electrical connection.

Next charge your battery fully, start the tractor and measure the output voltage of the regulator. If it's below tolerance, then check the output of the stator (using the AC scale). It should be minimum of 30 volts I beleive - closer to 50 ideally.

Maybe just dirty connections if your real lucky, maybe a regulator if you're not so lucky, and maybe a stator if you're not lucky at all.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 PM   post #3 of 12
saleen49
Super Duper Member

MTF Member # 21045

The regulator is more than likely going south. Mine did what yours is doing and the regulator was the problem.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison
saleen49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM   post #4 of 12
whiskeykilo
whiskeykilo

MTF Member # 15730

Had same issue with my 430. Turned out to be the alternator.

--------------------------
2008 JD x740 w/PTO & 3-point: 62" deck w/PowerFlow & Bagger; 2008 Taylor Pittsburgh 922 48" Tiller; Zimmerman Cat 1 Rear Weight Bracket; 5' landscape rake
1989 JD 430 w/3-point: Johnny Bucket Sr. w/tooth bar & bucket doubler; JD 80 Dump Trailer; K&W Mfgr. 48" box scraper w/scarifier kit; Zimmerman Cat 0 Load Lifter
whiskeykilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 01:45 PM   post #5 of 12
Stash
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20758

The charging system could be the problem, or the PTO field coil is pulling too many amps.

I would do as suggested by D-Dogg. Then if the problem persists, check the output voltage at the middle termain of the regulator. You should be getting 13.5 to 14+ VDC at full throttle with no load.

If not, post back your reading. If the voltage is less than adequate, it is either the stator, the pickup coil, or the regulator. If the reading you get is in the range above, then more likely the field coil is bad.

http://zoyathehusky.webs.com/
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM   post #6 of 12
KHodges
AKA Moses Lawnagan

MTF Member # 23296

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadace View Post
Hi,
My battery light on the dash comes on once in awhile. It will sometimes blink on and off. Then sometimes stays on for short periods of time. Lately, it has been more. Also, now when you kick on the PTO the battery light comes on and stays on. Just started doing that. Anyone have any ideas?
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but my '02 GT235 has been doing that for two years or more. I still have my original battery, the tractor has about 450 hrs, and it will sit for a couple of weeks at a time without being run. Whenever I do use it, it starts right up, runs fine, but the symptoms are just as you describe. I wonder how sensitive the charge light is; can the charging system be doing its job, but just a bit below the threshold that the charge light senses too little voltage, or current, whatever?
Power Flow and MC519 cart
LP RTR0550 rototiller
?? 60" box blade
Simplicity 10" plow adapted to 3-pt hitch
45 FEL

'02 JD GT235, 48C deck

'86 JD 214, 46" deck

I've always had a problem with kleptomania.
When it gets really bad, I take something for it.
KHodges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM   post #7 of 12
saleen49
Super Duper Member

MTF Member # 21045

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHodges View Post
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but my '02 GT235 has been doing that for two years or more. I still have my original battery, the tractor has about 450 hrs, and it will sit for a couple of weeks at a time without being run. Whenever I do use it, it starts right up, runs fine, but the symptoms are just as you describe. I wonder how sensitive the charge light is; can the charging system be doing its job, but just a bit below the threshold that the charge light senses too little voltage, or current, whatever?
It may be common for the charging light to flicker at low RPM, but not at high RPM, or WOT. Put a volt meter on it and monitor the output through out the RPM range. It should be at least 14v Ac at high RPM.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison
saleen49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 PM   post #8 of 12
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadace View Post
Hi,
I have seen a subject post on the charging system of the John Deere 420. Just can't seem to find it. My battery light on the dash comes on once in awhile. It will sometimes blink on and off. Then sometimes stays on for short periods of time. Lately, it has been more. Also, now when you kick on the PTO the battery light comes on and stays on. Just started doing that. Anyone have any ideas?
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...harging+system
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 AM   post #9 of 12
hgl1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20597
Garage

Hey VBA
I had the same problem with mine and it was one of the fuses. On mine there are 2 fuse holders behind the dash panel and I cleaned the contacts and replaced the fuses. Problem has not returned.
hgl1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM   post #10 of 12
ZeroJunk
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 67364

Mine comes on for a few seconds some times at WOT on my 318, but when I check the voltage it's 13.5 or better. I think I will just cover it up with black tape.
ZeroJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM   post #11 of 12
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgl1 View Post
Hey VBA
I had the same problem with mine and it was one of the fuses. On mine there are 2 fuse holders behind the dash panel and I cleaned the contacts and replaced the fuses. Problem has not returned.
Lots of problems on these older machines are nothing more than dirty connections.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 PM   post #12 of 12
verybadace
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2416

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sure enjoy all the response. The doctor is back with the problem. I put on the voltage meter and was getting 11 volts +. So had a new spare regulator. Sure enough the voltage went up to nearly 14 volts. The new regulator came with new connections with crimp ends. Should I put these on? Guess I should but wanted to try the new regulator. Here are some pictures of the old regulator. See the greenish blue corrosion under the electrical connections. Not the best picture. Didn't see the corrosion until I pulled out the regulator. Once again thanks for all the responses. The light is staying out. Also, the light goes out after a quick blink, like what was stated earlier, when you turn the key on before starting it and the battery is at full charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0016.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	78701  

Last edited by verybadace; 10-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.
verybadace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.