Honda GX670-TDW 24 HP replacement engine - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM   post #1 of 11
Level 2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19434
Default Honda GX670-TDW 24 HP replacement engine

Has anyone put one of these in their Ingersoll or Case tractors? I am considering selling my 16 HP Briggs (529 hours) and replacing it with this for the power rating.

I want to hear about the difference in performance and the tricks to the install. I do not have a hold in my hood for exhaust. Thanks!

Ingersoll 448 Serial 14062821
Ingersoll 4016 Serial 14190385
Ingersoll 4020PS Serial 14184194

I spent my childhood keeping Pop's Case Tractor running, 35 years later I now own 3... GO FIGURE
Level 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 AM   post #2 of 11
Quixote2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29900
Default Re: Honda GX670-TDW 24 HP replacement engine

There will be difference in performance unless you change the pump, valves, piping, and motor to larger sizes. The existing pump volume, pump rpm limit, and pressure setting limits the HP transmitted to the motor/wheels to what you currently have. An additional 8 HP to the mower blades will not be utilized or needed either (unless you want to build a custom 6-7 foot wide mower deck).

If you want to build a souped-up pulling tractor, get a Bolens tube frame with the manual transmission.
Quixote2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM   post #3 of 11
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level 2 View Post
Has anyone put one of these in their Ingersoll or Case tractors? I am considering selling my 16 HP Briggs (529 hours) and replacing it with this for the power rating.

I want to hear about the difference in performance and the tricks to the install. I do not have a hold in my hood for exhaust. Thanks!
What is it that you want to do with this tractor that makes you feel this swap is necessary. Details please.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM   post #4 of 11
RestMyCase
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 20465

I am guessing that you want to re-power the 4016. The B&S Vanguard has more than enough power for anything you can attach to it. If it had a Onan P-216 it would have more torque than the B&S but use more fuel. The Honda is a great engine but I don't think you will utilize the extra 8 HP. so it will be for nought. Also, plan on adjusting the valves regularly on the Honda or you will have problems. JMO
RestMyCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 PM   post #5 of 11
walter g

MTF Member # 9285

Here is the Torque output for the Gx-670. Note it is in N/M. 33FP
http://www.honda-engines.com/engines/gx670.htm
Torque output for the Vanguard 16. About 22 FP.http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/torque-specs.htm

If a Kohler Command would fit, a 18 hp puts out the same Torque as the 24 hp honda.

Walter
walter g is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM   post #6 of 11
Caseman2

MTF Member # 9276

I bought my cousins 448 when he bought a 4020 AHD (I believe they're called) that he repowered with a Honda, (in fact I have the old 20hp Onan).

He recently told me he may put it up for sale and that he believes the 448 is a much better machine, but that Honda most certainly will hurt its resale value.
Caseman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM   post #7 of 11
Level 2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote2 View Post
There will be difference in performance unless you change the pump, valves, piping, and motor to larger sizes. The existing pump volume, pump rpm limit, and pressure setting limits the HP transmitted to the motor/wheels to what you currently have. An additional 8 HP to the mower blades will not be utilized or needed either (unless you want to build a custom 6-7 foot wide mower deck).

If you want to build a souped-up pulling tractor, get a Bolens tube frame with the manual transmission.
Did you mean to say there WONT be a difference? I am looking for more torque to pull the rake and tiller without revving the snot out of the engine all day...

I spent my childhood keeping Pop's Case Tractor running, 35 years later I now own 3... GO FIGURE
Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM   post #8 of 11
Level 2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseguytoo View Post
What is it that you want to do with this tractor that makes you feel this swap is necessary. Details please.
Caseguy; I want to have more consistant pulling power when pulling implements. I am raking now, and am looking to get a tiller soon, and a box cutter next spring for my 300 feet of gravel road and driveway. Springtime driveway clean up is big in Vermont

Old 09-24-2009, 07:54 AM   post #9 of 11
Level 2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19434

Ok thank you gentlemen. The whole concept behind this is that I know have a clean 1997 machine that doesn't need paint, has a solid frame with no welds and I want to keep it a while.

The only reason I would ever sell this is for a 4200 series now.

In the torque department, it was a step down from my 87 448 (Lynmar engine) and I'd rather go 'new' with an engine and keep it going a while.

I already put my AG tires on it and while it is so nice and quiet, smooth and even my friend's 5 year old can start it cold, I do notice a difference in that pulling power. So I thought I would ask around. You guys are great, and this forum is the best!

Last edited by Level 2; 09-24-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 AM   post #10 of 11
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013

Quote:
The whole concept behind this is that I know have a clean 1997 machine that doesn't need paint, has a solid frame with no welds and I want to keep it a while.
The proposed engine swap will make NO difference in pulling power and little, if any, noticeable improvement with the mower or snowcaster. At less than 600 hrs, the engine is just getting broken in and probably has 30 years of average use left before needing a rebuild.

If you told me that the engine was in bad shape and you couldn't/don't want to rebuild it then my suggestion would be to drop in a new Briggs--cheaper and easier plus it would maintain or increase the resale value.

A skilled friend of mine did a very professional Honda repower and tried to sell it but had NO interested buyers so he ended up parting out the tractor.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a project if that's something you enjoy as a challenge but there is no upside to what you're proposing. Better to buy a tractor with a bad engine for a couple hundred dollars and do the repower on that then sell the one you have.
Bart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM   post #11 of 11
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Did you mean to say there WONT be a difference? I am looking for more torque to pull the rake and tiller without revving the snot out of the engine all day...
Here's some food for thought.

The industry standard for OPE engines is 3600 RPM. In other words, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Onan, Wisconsin, Briggs and Stratton, Robin, Tecumseh, Kohler and others ..... all set the governors to maintain 3600 RPM at wide open throttle (WOT). In addition, the camshaft, carbureation and ignition timing are all designed to produce the maximum engine torque just below this RPM.

Implements that spin (tillers, mower decks, snow blowers etc) are designed to perform at their peak efficiency when the engine is running at WOT. Case and Ingersoll tractors use a hydraulic pump to power many implements. Once again, if you want the max from these attachments, then you have to feed them enough hydraulic oil to make them spin up to their design speed and that only happens when the engine is running at WOT.

The hydraulic system will only produce X amount of HP and X amount of torque regardless of the size and hp rating of the engine powering the pump. Many people feel that the max hp any engine can make the Case hydraulic system produce is 12 hp.

Quixote2 told you in his post that if you wanted more hydraulic hp, then you would have to redesign the whole system and he's right. Now if it's engine RPM that bothers you, then find and install an engine that produces 16 hp at 1800 RPM. That way, you can set it run only at speeds up to 1800 (half-throttle) but with it powering a 20 GPM pump, you will still get sufficient flow to run attachments.

Will you have more torque at the wheels? Nope. But the engine will be quieter. The problem with that scenario is that you would have to change the pulley sizes for belt-driven equipment if you wanted to use them a tractor with an 1800 RPM engine.

And you thought it would be easy..... yes?
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.