Kohler Triad?(TH18S) and Mickey Mouse - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 AM   post #1 of 17
joemd11
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31352
Angry Kohler Triad?(TH18S) and Mickey Mouse

Hello, I went out yesterday to start my Simplicity Sovereign and do a little mowing. It started and ran for about 2 seconds then quit. I tried to start it again and it sounded like it didn't have any compression. After some investigating, I found a rather large mouse nest below the air cleaner and a dead mouse on the timing belt. Evidently the mouse got caught by the belt and made a circuit through the pulleys and in doing so caused the belt to come off !! I can't believe that little mouse caused the belt to jump off. Now I am wondering if I damaged any valves in the process. Guess the Sovereign is headed to the shop this week all because of one little mouse.
LS R3039
joemd11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM   post #2 of 17
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029
Default Re: Kohler Triad?(TH18S) and Mickey Mouse

What did you say your address is? I need it when I report you to PETA.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM   post #3 of 17
bamataco
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7458

Looks like you need to get a cat.
bamataco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM   post #4 of 17
joemd11
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31352

Thought about getting a cat but then I have to get something bigger to protect the cat from the fox. Gets to be a vicious circle.
LS R3039
Old 09-14-2009, 01:47 PM   post #5 of 17
Justin
Father to Triplets + 1

MTF Member # 19622

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemd11 View Post
Thought about getting a cat but then I have to get something bigger to protect the cat from the fox. Gets to be a vicious circle.
Get a barn cat, a farm dog, and a 12 ga. Anything that can't be handled with those you need to run from.
74 Sears ST 16 with automotive ignition conversion, 10" moldboard plow, cultivator, hiller, single disk with 2 cinder blocks, 42" MMM, middlebuster, manual 3pt hitch, Ag tires with wheel weights and tri ribs on the front
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM   post #6 of 17
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Sorry to hear about this,hope your engine wasn't damaged..I may have "wounded" one of my Suburbans thanks to a mouse nest in the fan shroud too,I mowed the lawn twice with it and I THOUGHT it seemed to be running awful hot,a lot hotter than the near identical twin Suburban with the same engine did,and sure enough,when I put my hand near the cooling fins,barely any air was blowing out..
I replaced the head gasket which was laking as well,when I pulled it apart to remove the nest..the little SOB chewed off a lot of the insulation off the spark plug wire too,on the SSI ignition coil thats obsolete and costs 200 bucks IF you can find a working one,luckily I was able to "fix" it!..

I dont think cats will help much,I have half a dozen "barn cats" and despite finding a dead mouse just about daily on my steps or somewhere in the driveway,it seems the "engine mice" never get caught,and have nested in several of my tractors and even in engines stored in my truck body/shed,even before it had any holes big enough for a mouse to sneak in it,they found a way in somehow..this is the second or third engine I've overheated thanks to a mouse nest..it'll probably smoke and use more oil than it ever did now.. ...
I've heard mothballs,clothes dryer sheets and other home brewed things keep them away,but I think if the mice want to nest in an engine they will no matter what you try..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 AM   post #7 of 17
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Well, Ive got some bad news for you...the Triad was a short production (for good reason) and if the belt breaks, it is an interference engine...Parts are ungodly expensive, and finding a tech willing to go into one is just about impossible.

We have hawks...seeing any mouse or rat is flat out rare around here.Kohler designed the triad to be a "sealed" engine, when it dies, replace it, unfortunately the tiny air filter meant most of them burnt up in the first year and were replaced by Commands...

1962 WH702

1997 K3500 Dually Sierra
Crew Cab, Long bed, Vortec 454

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM   post #8 of 17
joemd11
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31352

Tractor-holic,
I was thinking that I was the only guy on the forum with this (mouse)problem. I guess my pre-strart checklist is now going to include a "nest check" in addition to the other basic items. How do farmers with lots of expensive equipment deal with this problem?

Red,
I sure hope your wrong on this one. An engine swap sounds expen$$$$ive.
LS R3039
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 AM   post #9 of 17
Ironmower
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 25539

Well it wasn't a kohler, but my briggs wouldn't turn over. I figured it was probably a mouse or chipmunk nest. There was a mouse nest, but that wasn't what was caught-up in it. It was a small(2ft) black snake stuck between the flywheel and starter.

So, I wouldn't reccomend gettin snakes to take care of your mouse problem.

Good luck, hope someone can fix ya up!
Ironmower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM   post #10 of 17
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemd11 View Post
Tractor-holic,
I was thinking that I was the only guy on the forum with this (mouse)problem. I guess my pre-strart checklist is now going to include a "nest check" in addition to the other basic items. How do farmers with lots of expensive equipment deal with this problem?

Red,
I sure hope your wrong on this one. An engine swap sounds expen$$$$ive.
Mice and rats hate hot engines....and Farmers only turn their equipment off to change the oil, get intimate with the wife, and drop the occasional deuce....

1962 WH702

1997 K3500 Dually Sierra
Crew Cab, Long bed, Vortec 454

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM   post #11 of 17
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I see a lot of hawks here too,but have yet to see one go after a mouse..only bird I've seen eating a mouse in my yard,was a turkey buzzard,who comes by to mop up the dead ones the cats killed and leave lying around!..and man,he's an UGLY and HUGE thing!..looks like something from a horror movie..

I've seen many snakes this year too,and wont be surprised to find one in or near my tractors engines,seeing mice love to nest in them..
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM   post #12 of 17
joemd11
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31352

I knew this is a wide-spread problem. Snakes, hawks, buzzards can't stem this rodent tsunami! We need a better mousetrap.
LS R3039
Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 AM   post #13 of 17
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I have no clue why a mouse thinks a cramped ,greasy,smelly small engine blower housing is a great place to shack up!..or why they seem to LOVE chewing spark plug wire insulation off either?..it must be salty or something!.

I used to have guinea pigs,gerbils, and even white mice as pets, as a kid..I had an excersize wheel,made several "tunnels" out of the cardboard tubes paper towels come on for them to hide in,etc...I guess all I really needed to give them was an old blower housing off a Briggs or Tecumseh,and they would have been right at home!..

One day I came home from school,and found I only had 1-1/2 white mice,instead of two!..one became a cannibal!..I didn't know you were supposed to give them some meat once in a while,or they'll get it themselves,one way or another!..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 AM   post #14 of 17
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

On Sunday, I went to fire up one of my graders and the batteries were dead. So I brought another grader over to jump start it. When I lifted the lid off the battery box, there was a mouse nest on top of one battery and three of those little bastards giving me the evil eye for disturbing them.

I went into the shop to fetch the booster cables and when I came back, they had hightailed it to safer ground. I removed that nest and then sprayed penetrating oil all over the top of the batteries and the box just to make things unacceptable to these squatters.

Then I opened up the battery box of the running grader and found the beginnings of another mouse house. I gave that one the heave-ho and a spray job too. You just can't leave anything laying around for long before some sort of critter takes up residence. In the spring, I had birds nests in the wing towers on two of my other graders. I also noticed lots of wasps buzzing around a couple of machines. I think some of them moved into an air pre-cleaner and set up house.

You have to be very careful whenever you open an engine inspection door or you could get swarmed by a bunch of angry wasps. If only I could get them to pay rent, I wouldn't mind so much.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 AM   post #15 of 17
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Put this in your bait stations...
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...oductId=109758
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.