Would a fan dry my cut and split wood faster? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

My Place Pics and stories about your home and property

Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM   post #1 of 31
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage
Default Would a fan dry my cut and split wood faster?

I have about a 1/4 cord of hardwood from some ice storm damaged trees that I cut and split this spring/summer. I stacked it in the basement in front of my dry hardwood , but it sure doesn't burn very well yet. I was thinking of aiming a window fan at the stack so that the air flow might speed up drying. Your thoughts?
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM   post #2 of 31
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283
Default Re: Would a fan dry my cut and split wood faster?

What is the relative humidity of the air? Generally basements are cool and damp and so not conducive to drying firewood. Why would you not dry it outdoors where the RH should be lower and the air warmer?

If you dehumidify the air a fan would help.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 PM   post #3 of 31
dirtyEd
Banned

MTF Member # 836

Sure the fan will help it dry quicker, maybe even by June 2010, but you'd be better off leaving it out side to season/dry until next year.

With few exceptions, the general rule for wood burning, is cut, split, and dried, for at least a year, two years is even better.
dirtyEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 08:56 PM   post #4 of 31
DreaminGreen
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9849

I used a dehumidfier in my basement blowing on some fresh cut green wood (1/2 cord)for a couple months. It worked awesome I kept it at about 45%RH.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 PM   post #5 of 31
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

I tried what you are suggesting in the garage, for 30 days, and I would say it helped a little. Still pretty wet.

Aren't you scared of bringing termites in by storing wood in your basement? Maybe they aren't as bad in MA as VA.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM   post #6 of 31
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsteve View Post
I have about a 1/4 cord of hardwood from some ice storm damaged trees that I cut and split this spring/summer. I stacked it in the basement in front of my dry hardwood , but it sure doesn't burn very well yet. I was thinking of aiming a window fan at the stack so that the air flow might speed up drying. Your thoughts?
I used wood heat for humpteen years,just fire up w/the dry and add green on top.Works fine.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM   post #7 of 31
david doyle
Banned

MTF Member # 8803

Quote:
Works fine
it might burn but you are loosing alot of the potential BTUs. I have heated a shack/house with a wood stove thru a winter that had 8 weeks of -40 to -50. (7 cords to keep a 1000 square feet barely livable!)
I can guarentee that you notice the diffrence in the heat you get between dry and wet Birch, poplar, and spruce. Also anything that retards/cools the combustion is going to contribute to creosote.

Putting wet wood in your house is a sure fire way to end up with air that is humid enough to form ice where ever it leaks past insulation. I don't know the percentage of water in wood but in a half cord it must be many gallons.
Folks dry thier wood for a reason. Save yours for next year.
Stay warm
david doyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM   post #8 of 31
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

do what i did last year. i had more than enough wood for the winter, but most of it was not seasoned good yet. so i would start the fire with 2 seasoned logs and 1-2 "green" ones. then add green logs later. not as much heat, but it got the fire going and as long as you keep it hot as you cna it won't creososte as bad. but you got to keep the fire roaring and that means using more wood.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM   post #9 of 31
Byron R
Branded for LIFE !!!

MTF Member # 505

Dehumidifiers ..do draw moisture..but the electric it takes over rides the btu put out buy the wood ..in my opinion...
Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 PM   post #10 of 31
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

if you use a dehumidifier, i would put a tarp over the wood and stick it under there. that way it pulls the most moisture from teh wood and not necessarily from teh room. you have to prop the tarp up so it don't suck down tight, but it works. as stated, this will cost a few bucks for the electricity and may offset the money saved by burning wood for heat.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM   post #11 of 31
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Typically, dehumidifiers draw between 50 and 200 watts. The cost saving of burning wood could be eaten up by higher electricity cost.

I would burn the dry wood now and let the dry Winter air lower the humidity naturally, drying the recently cut wood to burn later. You could also dry a stick or two at a time near the hearth and then toss it in with the dry stuff.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 PM   post #12 of 31
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by david doyle View Post
it might burn but you are loosing alot of the potential BTUs. I have heated a shack/house with a wood stove thru a winter that had 8 weeks of -40 to -50. (7 cords to keep a 1000 square feet barely livable!)
I can guarentee that you notice the diffrence in the heat you get between dry and wet Birch, poplar, and spruce. Also anything that retards/cools the combustion is going to contribute to creosote.

Putting wet wood in your house is a sure fire way to end up with air that is humid enough to form ice where ever it leaks past insulation. I don't know the percentage of water in wood but in a half cord it must be many gallons.
Folks dry thier wood for a reason. Save yours for next year.
Stay warm

QUOTE=LLigetfa;805665]Typically, dehumidifiers draw between 50 and 200 watts. The cost saving of burning wood could be eaten up by higher electricity cost.

I would burn the dry wood now and let the dry Winter air lower the humidity naturally, drying the recently cut wood to burn later. You could also dry a stick or two at a time near the hearth and then toss it in with the dry stuff.[/QUOTE]

Dehumidifies use more electric then that I believe LL .. but either way .. using electric to dry firewood .. defeats the purpose of using firewood IMO also
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 AM   post #13 of 31
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Guys, thanks for all the answers! Let me comment on a few of your excellent points:

1) Basements are cool and damp here in the summer. I run a dehumidifier in the summer months to prevent mildew, etc. down there, so I'm absorbing the electric cost anyway. Oh, I can't move the dehumidifier to the wood crib because it's positioned near the drain so I don't have to worry about emptying it every day.

2) I hadn't really thought of the humidity produced by the wood being a problem, I think our humid New England summer air contains way more water than a 1/2 cord of wood ever could. Also remember, in the winter our stuffy houses get way too dry!

3) I thought the wood would dry better out of the weather (outdoors), my misconception. How do you guys protect your stacks? My wife is not fond of blue tarps.

4) While we have termites here, carpenter ants are more of a problem. I've never had a problem storing wood in my "crib". There really isn't that much there. I only use it for the fire place and in emergencies like the ice storm last December. I'm too old to be hauling wood all the time.

5) Lastly, what are your thoughts on burning white pine indoors? I have cords of pine from the same ice storm that is cut, split and stacked (uncovered) for use in the outdoor fire pit. I have always heard it contains way too much creosote and will gum up the chimney. On the other hand, the farmer up the street takes all the free pine the tree guys will give him and he burns it constantly.

P.S. - Enjoying a fire right now, it's 46 degrees out this morning!
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper

Last edited by ggsteve; 09-07-2009 at 07:46 AM.
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 AM   post #14 of 31
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

46! Wow!

As far as your pine, we grew up burning yellow pine (down in FL where 50 is unbearable). Of course, my dad cleaned the chimney several times per year.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 AM   post #15 of 31
Mouse
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 29420

OK belive it or not- back in 1995ish, my boss gave me a load of rough sawn black walnut- for FREE (about 2500.00 worth) I stacked it in my 1 car garage, w/ cut stone in between the layers of wood, as spacers. The piles of wood were about 6' high, every night I would park my NEW truck in the garage w/ the wood on either side. About 3 weeks go by.... one night 2:30 am I wake up....go out to the garage to find the piles of wood/stone on my NEW truck. I was told the heat from the engine made the wood dry faster on the outside ( causing it to shrink) than the inside so the piles became leaning towers of destruction ( for my NEW truck). My insurance said " go get it fixed and send me the bill", best insurance Co. I ever had-Allstate still have 'em. did'nt even need pictures or anything!! I restacked the wood, secured it with cables, and would change inside/outside of the wood weekly. Wood was beautiful, made some boxes for my knief collection, chairs for the kids, bowles, and all kinds of gifts.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.