honda 3813 flywheel removal - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 PM   post #1 of 8
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340
Default honda 3813 flywheel removal

figured while i was pulling this engine down for inspection to rebuild, i'd detail some of the items that might make the job less daunting for some -
since removing the flywheel is a necessary step in changing the timing belt, i took some shots today while pulling it off

those that have done it, will notice i forgot to remove the ignition coil before putting the gear puller on the flywheel - wasn't a big deal as there aren't but a couple of 10MM bolts holding it on, but for those that haven't, it's easier to remove the ign coil first.

anyway, the shots should be self explanatory - this particular engine i picked up a few weeks ago in PA, the owner had cut it out of a tractor, ie cut the lower frame just behind the rear eng mounts - ordinarily, for someone changing their timing belt, they'll be pulling the engine off the frame altogether - i just left it on the chopped frame for convenience

in the first shot, the black plastic timing belt cover has been removed, and the flywheel puller bolted to the engine - btw, after going to the trouble of organizing three bolts of proper length to allow the gear puller claws to reach under the 3" round puller head, i found the three bolts that bolt the driveshaft coupling to the flywheel were the perfect length -

the long handle on the puller isn't necessary for pulling the flywheel, but it will be when i go to re-assemble, as i'll have to keep the flywheel from turning while i torque the flywheel nut. Only critical element on the the 3" round head (which were simply three 1/8" thick 3" washers) is to make sure the inside diameter of the 3" head is larger enough for the 23MM socket to pass thru to tighten the flywheel nut with.

2nd shot - gear puller on, getting ready to tighten and pull flywheel loose

next shot, flywheel is off - and the water boss that i mentioned in an earlier thread, that i thought was tapped for fan mounting - i ordered one of the shafts from honda for this engine and it fits perfect - it'll be in the next shot (i will be moving my radiator back to the rear of the engine, hopefully to keep debris from collecting in it, and even if it doesn't, it'll still be easier to clean the screen without getting off the tractor.

the next shot is with the fan shaft loosely attached to the waterpump boss - on the engine application that uses this shaft, the timing cover has a hole for the shaft but i'm thinking to run mine without any timing cover. it'll be easier to inspect that belt, maybe shoot it with some armour-all at end of season and let the moving air hit that engine to help it run a little cooler. I will need to order the fan from the other application engine as the direction of turn will be backwards on the back end of the engine. I will use this fan for proving the fitment in my junker 3813 frame -

last shot that will serve - close up of one of the stator coils - this is 2nd engine i've pulled the flywheel on and both had similiar condition coils where the wrapping was basically dried, cracked and dis-integrated off the coil. I work with epoxy a lot, and in looking closely at the wrapping i believe it's nothing more than paper saturated in epoxy resin (for insulation and to give the paper some strength) - on the earlier engine i wrapped it tight with electrician's tape one time to hold the remaining wrapping tight and then wrapped that with a layer of fiberglass tape, a couple of layers, the tape wetted with epoxy - basically recreating that protective shell

I didn't think of it today, but tomorrow i'll try to remember to take some shots of the timing marks on the timing sprocket and crank sprocket and their witness marks on the case
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM   post #2 of 8
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340
Default Re: honda 3813 flywheel removal

sorry, forgot this shot - it should be the 2nd picture, ie what you first see when flywheel comes off

Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 AM   post #3 of 8
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

shot of the timing marks - i highlited the witness marks on the engine case cover & the mark on the crank sprocket with a red marker pen

on the interesting side, while this engine looked like it had been thru the egyptian campaign multiple times, the timing belt looked relatively new -
when i cleaned the witness marks to take this shot i noticed the timing belt hasn't jumped any teeth on the sprocket, so apparently someone changed the timing belt sometime in the not too distant past

on the down side, i discovered the intake manifold had been apparently broken off at the base, where it meets the cyl head - and repaired with JB Weld

Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM   post #4 of 8
DonR
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21483

Larry,

Those are excellent pictures and should be a great help to anyone tackling this job.

They bring back memories of earlier this year when I replace the timing belt on my H4514. Everything looked the same to me - even the coil coverings that had severly detereriated. I rewound mine with a high temperature electricians tape purchased at Lowes and crossed my fingers.

I had lots of trouble loosening the water pump even though all the bolts on the this side were loose. Finally, I discovered one more bolt coming from the other side. At first there was no way to get a wrench on this bolt head but finally I pried away the obstruction (don't remember what it was) with a screwdriver and was able to loosen it to adjust the belt tension.

Another problem I had was in getting the timing marks to line up exactly. Seems like it was about a half tooth off one way and when the belt was shifted one tooth it was a half tooth off the other way. I took my best educated guess and left it go at that. I was lucky because it has run very well so far.

Your pictures are great.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 01:21 PM   post #5 of 8
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
Larry,

..... Another problem I had was in getting the timing marks to line up exactly. Seems like it was about a half tooth off one way and when the belt was shifted one tooth it was a half tooth off the other way. I took my best educated guess and left it go at that. I was lucky because it has run very well so far.

Your pictures are great.

Don
interesting you should mention that - i had the same issue with the 3813 i changed the timing belt on back in april - but this one lines up pretty close

and know what you mean about water pump bolt - i forget what i had to pry back in April, but had to pry something back to get a wrench on it as well

don't know if ever mentioned this, but back in 1990 one of the honda reps told me this engine was used in a little two seat car in japan, with a different cam & carb, it put out a whopping 27 hp

only reason i gave it any credit, while the engine's only 360cc, the fiat 500 was, well, only 500CC and fuel in japan was/is more costly. I've tried picturing the "Abarth" version with a stinger exhaust pipe, singing at 6500 rpm

i suspect with a proper metal oil pump gear, this engine has a far greater life than we think
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 PM   post #6 of 8
DonR
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21483

I hope it has a long life because timing belt replacement was a back-breaking job for me. Next time I will build a stand of some kind to hold the mower up to a comfortable working level.

All in all, the only problem I've had since the clutch bearing and timing belt replacements has been with the ignition switch. I did not remember if the stamped metal washer went under the plastic dash or on top of it. The book was no help with this so I ended up with the washer on top of the dash and then tightended the nut on top of it. Shortly after, the switch started rotating when the key was turned to the start position and I had to retighten it - many times.

Intalling switches into panels is nothing new to me since panel wiring was one of the many things we did in my business.

Finally, I bit the bullet, removed the steering wheel and dash and again studied the washer placement. It should key into the dash slot and also the projection on the switch but I could not get it to lock into place. Finally, in despiration, I superglued the washer to the dash and then tightened up the nut. That works so far but only time will tell if that continues to hold.

Except for that one problem, it has been running very well.
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM   post #7 of 8
bub13147
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21859

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
sorry, forgot this shot - it should be the 2nd picture, ie what you first see when flywheel comes off

I do not see any pictures, can someone figure it out?
Thanks, Wilson
bub13147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   post #8 of 8
MBL3813
MTF Member

MTF Member # 78786

Hi bub13147,

Yes, I agree, larry's posts really helped me when i was searching for Honda insider knowledge last year.. I checked the page as to why the pics won't display and found info and hopefully helpful explanation.

In 2009, when this post was made, Larry had and was using a different photo hosting service then at img.villagephotos.com . For example [ http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...waterpump1.jpg ] Sooooo he now has a photobucket account as evidenced by rt clicking his post photos, opening in another window. There you will see the address header clearly.

As to whether or not he still has those images.. I am unsure..

Perhaps a PM may yield a good result here?

Cheers & good luck man, MBL
MBL3813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.