John Deere L-111 Mowing Deck Broke - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Look what I Broke Today Discuss your latest damage or vent about what you have destroyed...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
erickat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 31836
Default John Deere L-111 Mowing Deck Broke

It's only 3 years old, kept in a garage & only used to mow a residential lawn. The mower deck failed at the point where it connects to the arm that raises and lowers the deck. Anybody else had such a failure? I called the shop & they're going to call the John Deere rep, but i doubt they'll cover it.
erickat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
walter g
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9285
Default Re: John Deere L-111 Mowing Deck Broke

They should cover it. But they probably won't. This is a known problem with the L series decks. The welds were substandard. The brackets instead of having full legnth welds were only welded a 1/4 of the way in the middle.

When they start to fail if you don't catch it right away, it tears the deck apart.

John Deere discontinued these decks and now have a replacement out.

Good luck I hope they make it right.

Walter
walter g is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Wow !, that makes for a bad day, sorry to hear Eric, hope you get it resolved, and by the way Welcome aboard here .
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

that sucks, but a good welder can fix it. it would be cheaper to get it fixed at a welding/metal shop than at the dealer if Deere ain't footing the bill.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Mouse
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 29420

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post

that sucks, but a good welder can fix it. it would be cheaper to get it fixed at a welding/metal shop than at the dealer if Deere ain't footing the bill.
Can you weld it?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

i've seen worse welded back up. may have to put a plate on the underside and weld it to that, but it can be done.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
erickat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 31836

Here's a bit better picture of the dammage - I'm supposed to hear from them today. They quoted hourly rates for repair that went over $200 and a replacement was more like $800 - when I bought this thing, I figured with the minimal use I give it, it should be the last lawn mower i needed to buy.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
erickat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 31836

oops - wrong picture

Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

that can be welded easily. take it to a metal shop, probably won't cost more than 50.00 unless you want them to repaint it afterwards. personally i would just get it welded and paint it myself.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
erickat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 31836

So, it turns out the left support had a crack in it too- so it wouldn't be long before the situation was repeated. I still have to talk to the John Deere rep, but they agreed to a 3 way split - John Deere, the dealer, and I pay one third each of the cost of a replacement deck & the labor to swap the parts from the old to the new - so it will be about $180, but i'll have a "new" deck. I plan on asking the rep what else I could have done other than treat it gently, keep it in a garage, and only use it to mow a residential lawn - and are the decks only good for 3 years? Someone referred to it as "beercan" metal that the deck is made of. A salesman tried to tell me that my $1600 L-111 John Deere is a "low grade" tractor - similar to what is sold at Lowes, Sears, or Home Depot and that I shouldn't expect too much from it. The tractor is fine - it's the mowing deck that has crapped out. My concern is that if i just get it welded, I'll eventually get to the point where i need an entire deck - and then it will be on me alone - and way way more expensive than what it is now. Better to keep them involved - then, if it happens again in 3 years, they will need to do better than just say it's a "Sears Grade" tractor.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

it IS a sears grade tractor. but you are using it for it's designed purpose and it should have held up better than it did.

it is not similar to the Deeres at Lowes/HD, it is the saem exact one as is/was sold there.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
CUMan
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 26595

I had the same thing happen with the deck holder bracket on a 2002 Scotts 17.542 I own (same as a John Deere L110).

My repair was to cut a piece of sheet steel a bit larger than the hole in the deck and use bolts to attach this "patch" underneath the deck. I then drilled holes through the piece of the deck that had broken out. I placed this on top of the patch and drilled holes through the patch to line up with the holes I had made in the broken off piece. I then bolted the broken piece to the patch.

This repair was done several years ago, and it is still holding up.

The steel in these decks is just too thin.
CUMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
erickat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 31836

OK - so I got the new deck "installed" with an adapter kit (had to get rid of the black brackets from the old deck & drill out the holes in the lift arm to accomodate the thick washer & cotter pin - and now, I'm wondering if the deck was ever installed correctly & poperly adjusted. Where it connects at the front, the bolt is resting on the threads, which doesn't seem right & the belt is kind of loose (although it was loose & very easy to remove on the old deck). I just need to adjust it, level it & should be ready to go. Any ideas on the front adjustment bar?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Jon318
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18785

No idea on your front adjustment bar...but I looked at my L111 and the same thing is happening. I just plan to weld mine up. only has like 200 hours too. So it will sit until I get the plug for my welder. Till then i shall continue to use my free lt4000
Jon318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
bdrich
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31770

I guess it is a sign of the times; create a product get it out the door. Put a warranty on it and hope it outlast the item. Get the profit and go onto the next customer. It's a shame how companies treat their customers now. There was a time the customer actually meant something to the manufacture. An they went out out of the way to make sure you were happy with their product. That's one reason why I believe people are getting old machines and restoring them. It's not just for the money.

Keep the old machines going................
bdrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.