Simplicity Regent starter problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 PM   post #1 of 4
tbags4ever
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29439
Default Simplicity Regent starter problem

Looking for some help!

I am pretty new at fixing up tractors, and sometimes stumble on somewhat common/simple issues, so here we go:

I am fixing up a nice late 1990s/early 2000s Regent 14hp Briggs w/hydro. The previous owners let it go to waste and didn't take care of it at all. Well, I got it running, but the starter is not working properly.

The starter was able to spin the crank no problem when the plug was out, but now that I have everything togther, the starter will turn it one revolution, pause for a second or two, and then turn it one revolution again. The only time I got it to continuously crank and start is when the throttle is closed (but that doesn't work all the time either). I notice that when I am done cranking for 5-10 seconds, the ground wire on the battery and starter is pretty hot to the touch.

I have read on here that problems similar to this could be a ground issue, such as a bad contact somewhere. Could it be the solenoid? a bad/worn out starter? I appreciate everyone's help. I will be glad to run tests that anyone recommends. I am not too keen with a voltage tester, so step by step instructions would help me there. Thanks. I am looking forward to getting this thing running.
tbags4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 AM   post #2 of 4
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953
Default Re: Simplicity Regent starter problem

I'm not sure if your engine is one that uses a compression release activated by the cam. If it is, check your valve clearances carefully. Too much clearance negates the compression release, and gives the symptoms you describe. The cranking better with throttle closed is also an indication of an inactive compression release. Since less air gets into the cylinder with the throttle closed, there is less to compress, putting less load on the starter.
I would also suspect a weak battery, but since you mention the cables being warm, the battery probably puts out okay. It's also possible that the starter is weak.
Let us know what you find...

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM   post #3 of 4
tbags4ever
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29439

hey guys. I have found the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it. The electric PTO is not releasing, and thus causing extra stress on the starter. When I dropped the PTO/clutch off the shaft, the motor turned right over.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the electric PTO issues? I can post pictures if you want them for reference. I think the "brakes" that cause friction on the "rotor" are where the friction is. I can't figure how to release this friction. Let me know if you know what the issue is. Thanks!
tbags4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 PM   post #4 of 4
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

There is a brake that's part of the PTO that takes effect when the PTO is de-energized. Look in your owner's manual for instructions on how to adjust the gap in the PTO. Your gap may have "shrunk" so that the brake is dragging on the crankshaft.
Does it try to turn the mower when the PTO is mounted? Or is there just drag with no mower movement?
The gap, I think, is only .015", and must be consistent all around the PTO. Give that a look, and let us know what you find. I'd bet 2 or 3 cents that your gap has gotten smaller, probably through wear.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.