How does an 8N governor work? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 PM   post #1 of 11
kweeksdraw
Senior MTF Member
 
kweeksdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 163
MTF Member # 29458
Default How does an 8N governor work?

Not the mechanics of the thing, but what can I expect it to do?

My only other tractor experiance is using a Ferguson TO-30. On that model I set the speed I wanted with the throttle and the governor kept that speed via the throttle. I seldom had to do any adjustment. If properly adjusted, how should the 8N behave?
kweeksdraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 AM   post #2 of 11
Grand Valley Tractor
Senior MTF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 106
MTF Member # 29932
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweeksdraw View Post
Not the mechanics of the thing, but what can I expect it to do?

My only other tractor experiance is using a Ferguson TO-30. On that model I set the speed I wanted with the throttle and the governor kept that speed via the throttle. I seldom had to do any adjustment. If properly adjusted, how should the 8N behave?
It would behave exactly the same. However, if it "hunts" or doesn't allow smooth throttle adjustments, you may need to rebuild it. It's not that big of a deal to rebuild them...I'm doing one now for our store. We have the kits in stock pretty cheap. You can buy a rebuilt one...but that can get expensive.

http://www.grandvalleytractor.com
Grand Valley Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM   post #3 of 11
Dan
Senior MTF Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 360
MTF Member # 883
Images: 2
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

That is the purpose of a governor. And the ferguson model uses the same type of governor the 8N does. If your governor on the 8N does not keep it the same speed as you go ever hills or load the engine down - it needs to be adjusted or rebuilt.

If you havent been introduced to the I&T FO4 manual - this may be an excellent time to get one.

Dan
__________________
Old Iron Addict

1948 8N Delilah
1954 NAA Rustbucket
1939 9N (Name to be forthcoming)
1952 8N Sampson - Gone but not forgotten
8N Acres
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 PM   post #4 of 11
kweeksdraw
Senior MTF Member
 
kweeksdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 163
MTF Member # 29458
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

This tells me that the governor on my tractor isn't working at all. At one point while I was setting the timing (all fouled up when I got it) I rev'd it up around 2200 and it did what I think you all are calling hunting. But after I got the timing set, I've never seen it work or hunt.

I've been doing some refurbishing and just today bolted on a new exhaust/intake manifold. It is supposed to be like the original; the old one was quite different and the carburetor sets a little farther forward on this one than with the old one. So I'll be readjusting some of the linkages. Can you give me any hints on getting it right the first time?
Attached Images
 
kweeksdraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM   post #5 of 11
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,466
MTF Member # 25367
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

With the governor arm in the full throttle position (as pulled by the spring), the throttle on the carb. should be wide open. Adjust the linkage to achieve this relationship and you should be fine.
rscurtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM   post #6 of 11
souNdguy
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
souNdguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,864
MTF Member # 94
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscurtis View Post
With the governor arm in the full throttle position (as pulled by the spring), the throttle on the carb. should be wide open. Adjust the linkage to achieve this relationship and you should be fine.


yep.. and no play or preload.

soundguy
souNdguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 PM   post #7 of 11
kweeksdraw
Senior MTF Member
 
kweeksdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 163
MTF Member # 29458
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

O.K., let me see if I have this right...

1) The long arm on the gov. is forward, the spring being closed (not pulling) with no end play.

2) The short arm connects to the carb. throttle and at this point the carb. is wide open.

If that is right so far, then the throttle rod must be all the way open too (all the way clockwise viewed from the seat), yes?

I just found this: "With the engine off and the hand throttle set at full speed, the carb should be wide open." Ahh, O.K..

Now, something else confuses me; The manuals say that the throttle rod spring (attached from the rod to the transmission bell) is trying to hold the throttle closed. Isn't that backward? Isn't it trying to rotate the throttle rod open? I'm having a hard time wondering how that spring could rotate the rod counterclockwise.

Before I get too far into all this adjustment, let me ask you this. If the governor had been "hunting" when I first had it running, doesn't that mean that the governor is working? And that my adjustments were way out of wack? If not...how tough is rebuilding a governor?

Last edited by kweeksdraw; 08-31-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: New info gleaned from thread search.
kweeksdraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM   post #8 of 11
souNdguy
Proud Member of the 1K Club
 
souNdguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,864
MTF Member # 94
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

compensating spring...


Quote:
Originally Posted by kweeksdraw View Post
O.K., let me see if I have this right...

1) The long arm on the gov. is forward, the spring being closed (not pulling) with no end play.

2) The short arm connects to the carb. throttle and at this point the carb. is wide open.

If that is right so far, then the throttle rod must be all the way open too (all the way clockwise viewed from the seat), yes?

I just found this: "With the engine off and the hand throttle set at full speed, the carb should be wide open." Ahh, O.K..

Now, something else confuses me; The manuals say that the throttle rod spring (attached from the rod to the transmission bell) is trying to hold the throttle closed. Isn't that backward? Isn't it trying to rotate the throttle rod open? I'm having a hard time wondering how that spring could rotate the rod counterclockwise.

Before I get too far into all this adjustment, let me ask you this. If the governor had been "hunting" when I first had it running, doesn't that mean that the governor is working? And that my adjustments were way out of wack? If not...how tough is rebuilding a governor?
souNdguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM   post #9 of 11
kweeksdraw
Senior MTF Member
 
kweeksdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 163
MTF Member # 29458
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

Well it is all coming together for me now. I took the governor off the tractor to inspect it and found it in pretty good condition except that there were some minor flatspots on the balls and the retaining circlip was missing. I'm not sure what effect that would have, but it can't be good!
I'll order replacement balls, whip up a new clip and put it back together.
kweeksdraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM   post #10 of 11
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin
 
Ken N Tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas Denton/Krum
Posts: 25,844
MTF Member # 117
Images: 60
Garage
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweeksdraw View Post
Well it is all coming together for me now. I took the governor off the tractor to inspect it and found it in pretty good condition except that there were some minor flatspots on the balls and the retaining circlip was missing. I'm not sure what effect that would have, but it can't be good!
I'll order replacement balls, whip up a new clip and put it back together.
Be careful when putting it back together!!! One of the mounting bolts is longer and requires it to be back where it came out!!!!! Placing it in the wrong location will cause it to hit the internal gears and chew them up!!!
__________________
Ken N Tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM   post #11 of 11
Justin
Father to Triplets + 1
 
Justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,034
MTF Member # 19622
Default Re: How does an 8N governor work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
Be careful when putting it back together!!! One of the mounting bolts is longer and requires it to be back where it came out!!!!! Placing it in the wrong location will cause it to hit the internal gears and chew them up!!!
Uh oh. Hope you remember which one went where
__________________
74 Sears ST 16 with automotive ignition conversion, 10" moldboard plow, cultivator, hiller, single disk with 2 cinder blocks, 42" MMM, middlebuster, manual 3pt hitch, Ag tires with wheel weights and tri ribs on the front
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Compact Tractor Reviews Tractor Reviews Snowblowers Lawn Mower Forum
My Tractor Forum Snow Thrower Power Equipment Forum
Combine Forum Snowblower Forum ATV and UTV Reviews