What to use to make a snowblower "slick"? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
ropari
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 253
Default What to use to make a snowblower "slick"?

During the process of cleaning up a snowblower attachment I recently bought, I got to thinking about how slick the paint still is on my wife's newer car, a year after the dealership put on their paint sealant. On Monday I will try to find out what they used...if they will tell me.

I am wondering if any of you have used, or know of, extremely good products for this purpose?

I would like to coat it all good before putting the auger back into the housing.
ropari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867
Default Re: What to use to make a snowblower "slick"?

I spray mine with "PAM" cooking spray,works good on shovels too,when we get sticky wet slushy snow here..I've tried car wax and paraffin but PAM worked better..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
I spray mine with "PAM" cooking spray,works good on shovels too,when we get sticky wet slushy snow here..I've tried car wax and paraffin but PAM worked better..
Buy the big spray can two-pack at Costco.
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

If you took the blower apart for sanding and repainting, then how about a few coats of "clear" on the auger and all inside the housing and chute. It's a tough, tough world inside snow blowers because snow is a long way off being clean. So, every time you take it to work, dirt, pebbles and rocks are often grinding away at the edges of the auger, the housing and especially the fan and chute. Pam certainly helps but it doesn't last all that long. Keeping the paint on and the rust off is the key to an efficient snow blower. The thicker the paint coating, the better. At least with the clear, you could wash the blower after every use, let it dry thoroughly and then re-spray the areas that see the most abrasion.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
TUDOR
9000+ Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 28463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseguytoo View Post
If you took the blower apart for sanding and repainting, then how about a few coats of "clear" on the auger and all inside the housing and chute. It's a tough, tough world inside snow blowers because snow is a long way off being clean. So, every time you take it to work, dirt, pebbles and rocks are often grinding away at the edges of the auger, the housing and especially the fan and chute. Pam certainly helps but it doesn't last all that long. Keeping the paint on and the rust off is the key to an efficient snow blower. The thicker the paint coating, the better. At least with the clear, you could wash the blower after every use, let it dry thoroughly and then re-spray the areas that see the most abrasion.
Great idea putting extra coats of clear on the wear parts, but washing after every use presupposes inside heated storage for the tractor, not outside under a tarp at -20*C or an unheated storage shed.

I'm definitely going to try the extra coats of clear when I rebuild my blower.

Thanks.

Bob
TUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

I wax before and after each years use. During winter use I spray with WD40 or Pam prior to each use.
MU
munderhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003

I used WD-40 on my plow last year, after repainting it.
Repainted the blower housing and shoot, after sanding. Maybe repainted it a couple of times. Shoots snow into the neighbors yard, now. I do all my snow blowing at night.
engine2quarters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
squatch
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20853

I intend to try using ez-slide graphite paint on the interior of mine and the front of my snow blade. Hopefully I'll get the chance to paint them before cold weather gets here. I used this stuff on my mower deck already. I haven't tried cleaning it yet though. Got it a TSC.

http://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm
squatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
CityFarmer
{This Space Available}

MTF Member # 8778

Silicone spray with teflon additive. A good coating before each snow removal session.
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
ben2go
MTF New Poster

MTF Member # 11920

I've heard about easy slide but many have problems with it on mowing decks.I don't have a clue about snow blowers.Seems to me that easy slide is a sacrificial coating.A glossy powder coat may last longer than paint.Using silly cone spray may help it last longer.Just some idears my pea brain managed to squeeze out with the help of other forum members.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
squatch
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20853

I understand what you are saying about the ez-slide. It was an experiment for me. But I have a paint brush. Every paint I ever met was a sacrificial coating. Especially on a mower deck. That's why they make more of it. Some is just more so than others. Sometimes it comes down to ease of use. I have used some tough coatings that were great until they failed. That's when the real fun begins. Trying to remove that wonder product. DIY bedliner stuff comes to mind. I have read on another forum that it(ez-slide) works well in the snowblower chute. If it's just a matter of some pressure washing and hitting it with another coat every couple of years I can live with that. I'll let you know how it worked out next spring!
squatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.