connecting 2305 belly mower pto - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM   post #1 of 9
oakhilltop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18334
Default connecting 2305 belly mower pto

I finally got my 2305 a few weeks ago, but due to a bunch of things (moving 2 daughters, one to Chicago and one to Atlanta), I haven't had much time to use it or post on here. I did get some time today to try taking the mowing deck off. Pretty easy to do. But I'm having a helluva time getting the pto shaft back on when I try to put it back on the tractor.

Is there a trick to this? This is my first time using a pto with a collar. My old tractor had a "harder" system with a hitch pin to hold it on. But it was easy to turn the shaft to line up the splines. I can't seem to get the splines to line up on this one.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I hope to post some pics next week.

Thanks,
Steve
oakhilltop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM   post #2 of 9
oakhilltop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18334
Default Re: connecting 2305 belly mower pto

I found the secret! Its, make a post on here to let the world know that you are a ????, then go out and try it again!

I had been trying for about 30 minutes, made the post, went back out, and had it on within a minute. The thing is, I'm not sure what I did different. I did try turning the shaft at the ujoint.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 PM   post #3 of 9
smeagol
myyyy preciousssss!

MTF Member # 19549

Oakhilltop, there's a couple of things to do:

[1] make sure the collar is pulled right back and locked into place
[2] set your pto lever to rear so the the PTO spline can turn
[3] it should just slide straight on now, and when its in place the collar will lock into place

With a bit of practice it only takes a few seconds

Smeagol

JD 2305, R4's, 200CX Loader w/53" bucket, ballast box, 54C MMM - Ind Lift Kit
---------------------------------------------
Landpride 48" Box Blade
Agriquip 48" carry all
Hardi Sprayer and Sprayquip boom
Pats Easy Change Hitch System
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM   post #4 of 9
Bill1031
MTF Member

MTF Member # 26924

I can relate! Took my mower deck off for the first time last week. I had the same problem but I remembered reading on here to move lever to rear PTO. My problem was that when I took it off I did not notice the collar pulled back. So going back on it took me a little time till I noticed that it moved. Another problem was pulling the deck out from under tractor. My FEL was off so I could not lift tractor up with it but I pulled pins on wheels and droped the deck down. As smeagol says it gets easier with practice! Bill
Bill1031 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM   post #5 of 9
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

The sliding collar (which sort of lock in the open position) is what I expect is the unfamiliar culprit.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM   post #6 of 9
ca6120
MTF Member

MTF Member # 10864

Thanks for the tip on the rear PTO. I never thought of that. I had resolved to just twisting the mower blades when this happend and knew there had to be a better way. It seems like it does not line up 9 out of 10 times.
ca6120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   post #7 of 9
oakhilltop
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18334

Yes, thanks for the help. I'll try it again soon and select the rear pto.

It took a little fiddling to get the pins for the lifters to line up, but I'm sure that will get quicker with practice. I used the 2305 for mowing for the first time yesterday ( I still have my old tractor) and wow, did it ever create a whirlwind under the deck. Much stronger than my old garden tractor. That's a good sign for when I use the snowblower this winter.

I found the 2305 to be very maneuverable for mowing. I went with the smaller, 53" I think, mowing deck and it worked well for my yard. There were one or two places that I couldn't get into with the 2305 that I could with the smaller deck on my garden tractor. But not bad at all. Just have to get the weed whacker out.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM   post #8 of 9
Bill1031
MTF Member

MTF Member # 26924

There may be a better way but what I did was drop the mower (54") with it sitting on the wheels. Pulled the pins to the arms and disconnected the drive shaft. Then I pulled pins to wheels and let it drop. Slid mower out. When I put it back I slid it under and connected the drive shaft and then lifted each corner to where two holes showing on wheel shafts and slid back in pins. When I then lowered the arms, they just about right. Just took a little jiggling. While I had the mower deck out I scraped off a few clumps of grass, greased fittings on drive shaft and pullys on mower. I also used a hand grinder and just dressed up the blades. When all back together it seemed quieter. Just 16 hours on my tractor but I would say that too much grease can't hurt. Bill
Bill1031 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM   post #9 of 9
JD GReg
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9298

Ditto on the PTO lever to the rear.
Same thing will apply if/when using a
snow blower.
JD GReg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.