walk behind gravely - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM   post #16 of 48
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895
Default Re: walk behind gravely

Thanks mb, I used to be a mod on another forum, I found it about a minute after I clicked save.
Error401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 PM   post #17 of 48
bill72dart
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
Your "alternate opinion" doesn't "upset" me, your overuse of quotes of what people write irritates me. It's getting to the point that if I see a post of yours, this is what I see in my mind:

No offense, but it does get irritating.

(now where's that ignore function?)

bill72dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 06:20 PM   post #18 of 48
tvpierce
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26368

Here we go again.

Is it just me... or is there a pattern developing here?

Nobody do any anything 'til I get back with the popcorn!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
- Red Green
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM   post #19 of 48
gm1276
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 26660

For the record, "man handle" does not mean "a man handling the machine," it means treating something roughly or abusively. I think the point here is that you cannot be rough and toss around the Gravely walk behind. For instance, I had a small 22" push mower with a little belt driven rear drive that I regularly used to "man handle." I often mowed extreme slopes, went places it was not designed to go. The carb would often flood with oil from these angles, sometimes the mower would tip over or fall sideways. You can't do that with a Gravely, because it'll take you with it. You have to respect the limits of the machine. Just like an old dozer vs. a new one.
gm1276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 PM   post #20 of 48
eveled
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 28747

The online dictionarys say Manhandle one word, (so we were all wrong on that) to handle roughly,abusively. synonyms;damage,maul,mistreat,abuse,beat. Now for the record that is no way to treat a tractor or a horse, or your the one who belongs in the glue factory!

Machine of The Month link
eveled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 PM   post #21 of 48
G. Collins
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22192

What ! walk behind a gravely pushing snow? No way, put that sulky on there and let the snow fly. Have steering barkes and thats better yet. Call me lazy but I get it done quicker.

G
G. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM   post #22 of 48
G. Collins
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22192

I agree with both of you that a gravely will do anything if you just guide it a little and not force it. You have not run gravelys until you have had the pinch put to you tender spot and big black and blue inner thighs. But one thing I learned was you don't walk when pushing snow. Thats too slow when you have miles of sidewalks and driveways to clear. Hook up the slulky and let it the snow fly. Did that with a 526 for several years and had a ball. A steering brake makes it much easier .

G
G. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM   post #23 of 48
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895

I think now that we're pretty much all on the same page about the whole "manhandling" point, maybe we should get this thread back on topic.

I think the last question was how much is a walk behind. I'm going to take a wild stab and assume deere was asking about a running, functional turn key two wheeler. I like the Gravely powered units myself, in particular the 7.6hp C models. I've seen them go on ebay for between $250 and $500, depending on the condition and attachments included. I've only seen one or two that offered shipping, so figure in gas to go get it. The later models go up from there,
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM   post #24 of 48
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

You can find good clean units around. I sold my '80 5660 2 years ago for just over $3k with a kidney commercial deck, quick hitch, sulky, and new (used 1 winter) 32" 2 stage snowblower. Mind you Mine was a 1 owner (homeowner) since new and was near mint which is why it brought the $$ I sold it for. I think the 5K series are of the best IMO with the Kohler K engines. I cannot say they are easily handled as they are HEAVY machines. I did not like the front heavy snowblower that's for sure. It was the best performing 2 stage blower I've ever used though, hands down! It took all my 160lbs to get the blower off the ground baring down on the bars!
But learn how to run them right and what rewards! It was a fine mower! I definitley would not turn a novice loose on one either. I (knock on wood) never had a mishap whatsoever with mine and I used it quite a bit, even had a cart setup!
Hope you find one and enjoy it!

MU
munderhill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM   post #25 of 48
tiretrx
JD Parts Collector

MTF Member # 13571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old3Banger View Post
IMO "most folks" are lazy, perferring to sit & ride, push buttons & avoid man handling anything. They "started buying the more modern stuff" b/c "more modern stuff" that was also much cheaper, flooded the market. GRAVELY was at a disadvantage specifically b/c it was designed to be man handled, requiring it to run at walk behind speed. Almost all the "more modern stuff" moved significantly faster than walk behind speed, thus covering more lawn in less time.

Having grown up on a farm that still had mules & worked on several horse farms, I get the impression you're not familiar w/horses. "Most folks now days" have never even ridden a horse. Horses were successfully domesticated b/c they're compliant, easily trained & very responsive to many forms of man handling. Perhaps "The horse dictates what you do" & runs away w/you, but my experience has been with horses that have been trained & learned that the horseman "dictates what (they) do". The domestication & training of horses is the direct result of man handling. Without substantial man handling horses remain wild & you'll get NO work done at all. Man handles horses w/training from birth, reins, bits, saddles, girths, grooming, using legs to squeeze the horses ribs, heals to punch at the flanks, hands to pat the neck, voice commands, whips & spurs, etc.

For instance, horses only very rarely jump on their own. Jumpers must be trained to jump & jumping is dictated by the rider. Anyone who's ever loaded a reluctant horse on a trailer will quickly set you straight about whether or not you can "push a horse". I've had a gift for cajoling rebellious horses into trailers. Some horses are more likely to bite or kick than others, most bites stem from rowdy 'horse' play. Horsemen recognize if a horse is "angry" when the horse mostly wants to just run away. If a "horse sort of does it his way" for too long, messing up & refusing to obey, it might get man handled to the 'glue factory'.
Belleview please.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:59 PM   post #26 of 48
eveled
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 28747

I think the 5K series are of the best IMO with the Kohler K engines. I cannot say they are easily handled as they are HEAVY machines. I did not like the front heavy snowblower that's for sure. It was the best performing 2 stage blower I've ever used though, hands down! It took all my 160lbs to get the blower off the ground baring down on the bars!

MU[/QUOTE]

I have the same set up and it is very front heavy, I took two 25lb barbell weights and bolted them to the hitch to help compensate. It worked alot better that way. When I use the 30 in deck I take the plug out and put in a piece of threaded pipe then put 2 brake rotors off of a corvette. I have a coupling on the other end of the pipe to put the plug back on. Really saves the back to have the machine balanced correct. Ed

Machine of The Month link
eveled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 AM   post #27 of 48
Old3Banger
Banned

MTF Member # 27944

Funny turn this thread has taken. Why 'Cherry Pick' a virtual definition? Call me old fashioned, but I grew up with Webster's Dictionary definitions, which also happened to be the 1st item from Google:

["Main Entry: man·han·dle
Pronunciation: \ˈman-ˌhan-dəl\
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1851
1 : to handle roughly
2 : to move or manage by human force"]

Plainly the operation of GRAVELY 2-wheel, walk behind tractors is well defined by "manage by human force". IMO if you ever operate a GRAVELY 2-wheel tractor to accomplish very heavy tasks you will, by neccessity, have to "handle roughly". I would proudly & happily describe what a GRAVELY 2-wheel tractor does to turf when breaking ground w/rotary plow, OR what a GRAVELY 2-wheel tractor does to multiflora rose/overgrown brush w/30" deck as "handle roughly,abusively.....damage,maul,mistreat,abuse,b eat". It would be impossible to use a rotary plow where I lived in CT w/o abusively mistreating it b/c of all the rocks.

I've been attacked here for presenting a 'GRAVELY Monster' & describing a "Rotary Atilla". GRAVELYs are not all genteel toys suited only to flat open manicured suburban lawns, or spit shined garage queens. Believe me, if you take on the kinds of challenging work I've succeeded doing w/GRAVELY 2-wheel tractors you will absolutely need to "manhandle" them. I have no reluctance confessing that plowing snow w/GRAVELY 2-wheel tractors very frequently required me to "handle roughly". I can't imagine plowing snow effectively sitting on a sulky. Much of my enthusiasm for GRAVELY is b/c they've withstood such torture. Contrary to the dire warning 'it will kill you' I'm still here after roughly (no pun) 50 years & still promoting GRAVELY.

However IMO, by definiton, not all manhandling is applied to accomplish tough jobs, in which case the "manage by human force" still applies 100%. Its also exceedingly common to "manage by human force" thru strong, firm, gentle & consistant handling w/o any abuse whatsoever. That's the core of most good animal training. Unfortunately some trainers & some animal situations get into "rough handling".

GRAVELY lost out to mowers that were far less demanding to operate. Many considered it too "rough handling" the walk behind design & rejected the concept of having to "manhandle" the 300+ lb machines while walking via handle bars. I just don't share others' exclusive 'negative only' connotation.
Old3Banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 AM   post #28 of 48
Old3Banger
Banned

MTF Member # 27944

Speak for yourself. IMO most GRAVELY owners know, deep down in their hearts, that it requires degrees of "manhandling" just to swap attachments on a walk behind tractor. Many of us have benefited from others who dump GRAVELY tractors b/c it required so much "rough handling" just to own & operate them. Fortunately for "all" involved "we're" treated to more than just "the same page". Thanks MTF.

If you want to "get this thread back on topic" better go back to the TOPIC: "When did they quit making gravely walk behind mowers?" The presumption being: "When did they (Ariens) quit making gravely (traditional) walk behind mowers?". The topic was derailed immediately w/the detour into 'Why' they quit making GRAVELY 2-wheel tractors.

Anybody want to debate my answer-2004 for the last 'classic' 2-wheel GRAVELY? Can we "all" resolve this Q down to "the same page" I found from Ariens before drifting off to "how much"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error401 View Post
I think now that we're pretty much all on the same page about the whole "manhandling" point, maybe we should get this thread back on topic.

I think the last question was how much is a walk behind.
I've been given a fair number of GRAVELY walk behind tractors, including a 5665 w/nearly new motor & attachments, that needed less than $1 worth of parts to make tranny work again. The range for "how much" goes from $0 to whatever the market will bear for low hour late models & minty/restored early versions. I sold an early yellow Comm 12 w/new 14 HP short block, w/Comm 40" deck last Spring for $1500.
Old3Banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 AM   post #29 of 48
jrd
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 13434

Quote:
The topic was derailed immediately w/the detour into 'Why' they quit making GRAVELY 2-wheel tractors.
Yeah, that one was my bad. I read it late at night, and could have sworn it said "why", but apparently I was tired. Once re-read it I couldn't edit my post.

My apologies if I contributed to turning this into a kerfuffle.
jrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM   post #30 of 48
Error401
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29895

Quote:
I've been given a fair number of GRAVELY walk behind tractors,
Sounds like hush money to me. Just my "opinion".

You got some kind of axe to grind with me? Spit it out or quit trolling. Here's another word you can go thump Websters on: "curmudgeon".

As for your last two posts, tl;dr. You might want to check urban dictionary on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.