Wheel Horse not charging battery - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM   post #1 of 11
kk4et
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30089
Default Wheel Horse not charging battery

I have a 1988 520HC, about 2 years a new 20HP Onan engine was installed, on the voltage gauge it stays right on the bottom left of the green at 12 volts, it wont charge any higher, have checked with other meters, when engine not running it checks at about 12.6 volts, when I start the engine it drops to about 12.4 volts. Wondering if anyone had any ideas, could it be the rectifier or the stator, I have a wiring diagram, I thought when engine running the voltage should actually rise to around 15 to 16 volts, anyone got any ideas on things I can check to see if it is charging properly, havent had it long, it must be charging a little because the new battery is still starting it.
kk4et is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM   post #2 of 11
gwest_ca
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 20903
Default Re: Wheel Horse not charging battery

The proceedure to check it is in the Onan service manual you can download from Toro. Go to
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter your C1-20OE01 model number (0=zero, O=Onan) and type none in the serial # box.

Garry
gwest_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM   post #3 of 11
Big10
Vet-Wrencher

MTF Member # 28454

If the meter is pushing positive AT ALL, your charging. If your certain it's not charging i would get a multimeter and probe the battery to see if there is a voltage jump between it running and shut off. If no change i would suspect eaither loose connections which is possible or ultimatly the rectifyer/regulator which REGULATES your charge. See if you can get a jump in voltage by wiggling the fuses or wires and watch the amp meter. If it jumps, there's your problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM   post #4 of 11
kk4et
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30089

Found the service manual on the tractor but not on the Onan engine, in the tractor manual it tells about the charging system but no details on how or where to check tnx
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM   post #5 of 11
gwest_ca

MTF Member # 20903

It is there titled "Onan Toro Power Plus P216, 18, 20, 24 Engines - Horizontal" - 53 page file.

Garry
gwest_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM   post #6 of 11
onanparts.com
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19811

Battery voltage while running should be between 13.5-13.9 depending on battery state of charge. If all connections are clean and tight then check the stator output. The two outside leads at the regulator are the AC leads from the stator.

With engine off disconnect them and connect your DVM set to Ohms to each lead, you should read continuity. If open the stator is bad. Then check between each stator lead and ground. Reading should be infinity or zilch. If good reconnect DVM leads to stator leads and change DVM to AC volts and start up the engine.

At idle you should have about 25-30 volts AC. Full throttle reading should be about 50 Volts AC. If the stator checks out then the regulator is bad.
onanparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM   post #7 of 11
kk4et
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30089

tnx on the tip for checking the stator
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM   post #8 of 11
kk4et
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 30089

did the check on the stator but my meter only showed a little over 20 volts
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM   post #9 of 11
onanparts.com
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19811

At idle or full throttle?
onanparts.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM   post #10 of 11
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Sorry to jump in here but I'm having the opposite issue - voltmeter periodically pegs all the way right on my 520, then will settle back to about 14 volts while running, then peg right, then back, etc. Tried jiggling the wires while running to no effect so I don't think it's a loose connection. I can also faintly here a change in pitch to a higher frequency from some electrical component (regulator??) when it pegs right. I would like to test the regulator but I have no idea where to find it on my P220 engine. Also, what's the procedure for checking the regulator output? Thanks for any help.

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
1993 Wheel Horse 520-H, 48" deck & vac bagger.
1967 Wheel Horse 1077 with 36" RD deck (in resto).
Cyclone Rake, and other toys, I mean tools
CHDinCT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 AM   post #11 of 11
04fxdwgi
MTF Member

MTF Member # 23063

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4et View Post
I have a 1988 520HC, about 2 years a new 20HP Onan engine was installed, on the voltage gauge it stays right on the bottom left of the green at 12 volts, it wont charge any higher, have checked with other meters, when engine not running it checks at about 12.6 volts, when I start the engine it drops to about 12.4 volts. Wondering if anyone had any ideas, could it be the rectifier or the stator, I have a wiring diagram, I thought when engine running the voltage should actually rise to around 15 to 16 volts, anyone got any ideas on things I can check to see if it is charging properly, havent had it long, it must be charging a little because the new battery is still starting it.
Mine did the same thing. Found one of the "pins" in the engine to harness "Molex" connector was funky and had heated. Found it when I wiggled the harness and the charged jumped up. Pulled apart and cleaned and applied dielectric grease and it's been good since.
04fxdwgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.