Swapping Mag coils between various Tecumseh single cylinder engines - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
LoveLearn
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 27353
Default Swapping Mag coils between various Tecumseh single cylinder engines

Can Tecumseh magneto coils fitted onto exterior-flywheel lamination stacks be removed and fitted onto interior-flywheel lamination stacks?

I have a 5hp Tecumseh HS-50 with a failed magneto coil. The lamination stack onto which that coil fits sits inside the flywheel, so that lamination pack is convex shaped toward the surrounding flywheel. I see a used 8hp Tecumseh coil that appears similar, but it's lamination stack is concave shaped toward the flywheel because it fits outside the flywheel. So can these coils be swapped? Others have already reported that these magneto coils can be swapped between Tecumseh motors which have coils inside the flywheel.
Thanks for your help,
John
LoveLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
LoveLearn
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 27353
Default Re: Swapping Mag coils between various Tecumseh single cylinder engines

Since nobody has responded but I've been researching this question and others who use these forum messages as an information resource, I'm posting some research findings.

One eBay selling party claimed :
This coil fits most magneto engines
Tecumseh (30560A) and (30546)
Phelon p/n FG-6240,
Clinton p/n 135-13-990
Tecnamotor p/n 1633.0001

Fits TVS, TNT, ECV, H-30, H-40, H-50, H-60, H-70, AH600, HSK600, HXL840, HSK840, HSK845, HSK850

That sounds like my suspicion that these coils interchange widely is correct. Hope this helps others.

Anyone who has confirming or conflicting information about these claims, please post them.
John
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
JimC_Vt
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24069

No, The magnets are on the inside of the HS50,and there is no way to mount the CDI ignition on the OUTSIDE of your HS50....you need a replacement coil,which you can find just about anywhere ....look for an old small engine shop,and they'll have a dead something with the coil you need ...if not I may even have one kicking around....

If you remove the magneto assembly,you will need to retime your engine ,OR once the new coil is installed,you may turn the mag,CW,and tighten trhe 7/16 bolts and then set your points at .018" and give her a whilr ,if it doesn't work,you'll need to retime the engine....Good Luck,Jim
JimC_Vt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
LoveLearn
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 27353

All I'm talking about swapping are small engine magneto coils with square center holes configured to fit around square sections of lamination packs.

Some lamination packs are "E" shaped, and they fit the coil onto the center, open ended portion, as commonly seen on Tecumseh engines.
Some lamination packs are "U" shaped, and they fit the coil onto the
closed-ended section of their form.

While "E" lamination-fitted coils are easily removed by sliding them off their press fit, "U" lamination-fitted coils can also be removed, though with more effort as the lamination packs must be disassembled, the reverse of how they were assembled and pinned together when the factory built them.

I see NO reason all these magneto coils can't be interchanged unless the square hole size is different or the space under the flywheel is too small to provide clearance. So swapping a Briggs & Stratton magneto coil onto a Tecumseh engine may be possible. Functionally, those coils perform identically. If they don't physically fit, that's another issue.

I did NOT mention nor intend to switch this to a CDI ignition system. So I'm not sure why you mentioned that.

Just for the fun of doing something that may not have been done before, I may install a B&S mag coil on this HS50 Tecumseh. If I do, I'll report back to you about the results from that effort.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
JimC_Vt
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24069

The only exterior coils I have seen on a Tecumseh are CDI units....genearlly speaking ,yes swapping coils may work.....but having experience in tecumseh repairs ,I always look for the correct part to fix the issue ....getting under a flywheel,repeatedly is not my idea of a good time....so I like to do it right the first time....I would assume that each coil has a certain amount of windings,so spark strength would depend on the magnets,and the windings ....and if your off just a little in timing ,no spark,or weak spark.....I was just trying to save you a lot of effort ....but please report back with your findings ,TIA Jim
JimC_Vt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.