Long 1199B 3PH backhoe - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room [1]

Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM   post #1 of 9
WayneBurton
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29131
Default Long 1199B 3PH backhoe

I registered on this forum to ask these questions.
Asked on yesterdays & todays tractor, but no mutual long 1199B owners there.
I have a Long 1199B 3PH class I and Class II hitch 12" reach backhoe. It was made in @ 1994, and is in good + condition. No wear on pins. Has 23" bucket with new teeth. I has the original PTO pump replaced with a Prince model. I use it with a 68 Ford 4000 4x4.

Problem summary. Boom lift cylinder leaks around packing (not seal). Leaked when I got it, fixed, used it 5 hours and it began to leak again. Discovered that problem is if boom is raised to max, it empties fluid in that cylinder, and ram ends smack, and it contacts the seal end (aluminum) and distorts the lock ring groove and loosens the outside packing. Ok, now I now the problem. Issue is avoiding that (can do).

So I have two questions:
1. Found on the internet the fluid is type A (obsolete) which most say is now type F. This is unsubstantiated by reading an actual manual. Sorta internet hearsay till then. Mine came with tractor mulitpower hydralic fluid. Filter is NAPA 1453. So will it work better with tranny fluid? Don't post your "of course use what the book says forum answer" - Please provide reasonable argument for a complete flush, which will require twice the capacity tranny fluid or every cylinder removed, dumped and re-install. No EZ task or low cost solution. Quoting from a Long 1199B manual welcomed. Seals are holding with mulipower fluid, good power.

2. It fills from the breather in the top of 4" square shaped in a triangle tubing, but full to breather is obviously too much. Is there a check plug or measurement? Procedure for filling to right level?

3. I do not have a manual, canNOT find one to buy, have offered $50 to pay for a copy or scan, but yet do not possess one.

If you have or have had one of these 3PH backhoes, I'd certainly appreciate the feedback.
Wayne
WayneBurton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM   post #2 of 9
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage
Default Re: Long 1199B 3PH backhoe

Sorry to hear of the difficulty your having Wayne, but did want to say Howdy and Welcome to MTF .

Hope something turns up for ya !
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM   post #3 of 9
cyrus
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9056

Wayne:
Based on my "vast knowledge" of fluids, you could mix 30 weight engine oil in the mix and it would be ok. The big difference between Type A and Type F is the slipperyness for clutches in Auto transmissions. With your application it should not make any difference.
Walmart hydraulic fluid will work nicely for you. It is probably cheaper than transmission fluid. If you want tranny fluid, I believe Dexron or is it Dextron? is a replacement for Type A. check on the containers. There will be a "blurb" on them about what they replace.
Again, the only lubrication you're seriously worried about is the gears in the pump. In an auto transmission they are worried about the gears in the pump AND the transmission gears AND the clutches.
Have you gone to the Long website?
cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM   post #4 of 9
WayneBurton
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29131

Yes, the 1199B is not on site.
I have made every internet search possible, Checked FARMTRACK which bought Long, and went bust. Found a bunch for sale, many happy owners, but yet to find one who talks back on net about it. Must be using it

Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
Have you gone to the Long website?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 PM   post #5 of 9
WayneBurton
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29131

Thanks,
The real problem is cylinder design. Whether that is the original ram piston end or a fabrication of aluminum, if it was made of ferrous metal, it would not be leaking. The piston ram is made correctly from aluminum, but the seal flange packing end should be metal. If it leaks again, I will put a new cylinder on it, which (if I had do-overs) it would have been from the start. We learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_WV View Post
Sorry to hear of the difficulty your having Wayne, but did want to say Howdy and Welcome to MTF .

Hope something turns up for ya !
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM   post #6 of 9
dccase
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29253

I know the older ones take dextron not type F. FYI type F has more "grit" in it.

There is a pipe plug in the frame. On the hitch side, and I think on the right leg. Lower there should be a drain plug.

Sorry I can't help you on the cyl. other than saying something isn't together right or you have a badly scored or bent ram.

I believe long is out of business now, but parts can still be found. The manual doesn't tell you much.

You'll like the bigger bucket over the narrower one. They also make a 6 or 8 inch trenching bucket that works good.
dccase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 PM   post #7 of 9
WayneBurton
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29131

Thanks, I will find the plug.
The ram is not bent, the cylinder is not scored. I looked at it. The problem is ID'd in the above post. The ram packing plug is made of aluminum. When it contacts the piston at full stroke, it mushrooms against the retainer and loosens the packing seal. Were it made of stronger ferrous metal, it would be fine. It will cost me as much to fabricate the plug, from iron, I will buy a new cylinder if it starts leaking again.

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccase View Post
I know the older ones take dextron not type F. FYI type F has more "grit" in it.

There is a pipe plug in the frame. On the hitch side, and I think on the right leg. Lower there should be a drain plug.

Sorry I can't help you on the cyl. other than saying something isn't together right or you have a badly scored or bent ram.

I believe long is out of business now, but parts can still be found. The manual doesn't tell you much.

You'll like the bigger bucket over the narrower one. They also make a 6 or 8 inch trenching bucket that works good.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM   post #8 of 9
WayneBurton
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 29131

Note: Finally received a copy of the Manual.
Clarification: The manual DOES NOT in any way mention Type A transmission fluid.

The manual requires multi-purpose hydraulic fluid. That was what was in my Long 1199B and was fine and good. I encountered internet hearsay in error. Glad I checked.

Additionally, I rec'd an email reply from Ron Fridolfson informing me that on the right side support triangle there is a check plug 8" down on the front hitch side. Remove vent tube at center top fill till it runs out check plug. Verified that is in the manual. Thanks Ron.

My boom lift cyliner is again mounted and so far does not leak. The problem was cylinder design. It is a 2500PSI welded cylinder, retract 35.5" (36) and extended 60.5" (60) with what looks to be 24" stroke. Mine had the end cap glan seal made of aluminum, with an inside lock ring. The piston at full stroke smacked the aluminum end seal cap and distorted the snap ring groove and it leaked on the outside glan seal, not the ram seal. Poor design. It does not leak for now, but if it leaks, I will buy a welded Chief WT series- a superior design. Should have done this in the first place.
Custom built as exact replacement.

Additionally, the Long 1199B has a 13.3' reach and 11.9' digging depth. There are various quotes, many not close.

Because there was such a total lack of knowledge and limited response on this topic, hopefully the next guy can search this forum and read this for clarification.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM   post #9 of 9
Buzzardhat
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 55133

Wayne: Hope you're still checking this forum; I signed up specifically to ask you where you got the manual for your Long 1199b? I just traded for one and I need to repair the Borg Warner PTO hydraulic pump, but like you can't find any information about it. Can you (or anybody else) help me out? Thanks

Buzzardhat
Buzzardhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.