Jinma 254 Hydraulic flush and fill photo series - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM   post #1 of 10
cjax
Unbreakable Breaker

MTF Member # 1862
Default Jinma 254 Hydraulic flush and fill photo series

Up and ready for draining.

Draining the sludge.

Removing the fuel filter.

Fitting had to be loosened. Overtightened when we got it and wouldn't allow draining. Not sure how/why still.

Sludge drained.

Fuel Filter cleaned.

Inside of hydraulic casing. When we started, this was covered in black sludge. I drained the original, ran a kerosene flush, then drained it again. After that, it was bright orange, and the metal was nice and shiny. The tar like crap that was there was gone and everything seemed to be happier.

Misc pic

Nice new clear hydraulic fluid. Much better flowing than tar.

Jinma 254 - Koyker Loader | 6' finish mower | 5' blade | PHD w/9" auger | Subsoiler | Middle Buster | 6' discs | MF 2 bottom plow
Cub Cadet '06 GT2554 - Too Many Attachments! DR Power Grader |AF 36" Tiller |AF Dump Trailer |JD 15 & 25 gal Sprayers |AF Dethatcher |AF Roller |AF Spike Aerator-Spreader

Teller of semi-true stories. "I made up a few things and there's some I forgot." -- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by cjax; 05-22-2009 at 01:45 PM.
cjax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM   post #2 of 10
DJ in WV
I Love All Color Tractors

MTF Member # 10462
Garage
Default Re: Jinma 254 Hydraulic flush and fill photo series

How many hours were on that fluid??? That is some very nasty looking stuff.

MyTractorForum.com House Rules

Looking for a Technical Exchange Article? Here's an Index!

My YouTube Page

My Equipment:

1970 Gravely C10A
1972 Gravely 816
1973 Gravely Model C8
Eight other Gravely C's, L's, and LI's
1978 Massey Ferguson 1655
1981 Troy Bilt Horse, 7HP Kohler
1982 Gravely 8123
1983 Troy Bilt Junior
1988 JD 950, 75 Loader, 8A Backhoe
DJ in WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM   post #3 of 10
cjax
Unbreakable Breaker

MTF Member # 1862

I bought the tractor with 75 hours on it. It is common knowledge that the Chinese tractors ship with pure crap for lubrication in all areas. Before I cut the first blade of grass I changed every drop of fluid I could get out of it. Yes, it was sludge. It's nasty crap. I'm very glad I did it. She runs like a champ and has since I did it.

Jinma 254 - Koyker Loader | 6' finish mower | 5' blade | PHD w/9" auger | Subsoiler | Middle Buster | 6' discs | MF 2 bottom plow
Cub Cadet '06 GT2554 - Too Many Attachments! DR Power Grader |AF 36" Tiller |AF Dump Trailer |JD 15 & 25 gal Sprayers |AF Dethatcher |AF Roller |AF Spike Aerator-Spreader

Teller of semi-true stories. "I made up a few things and there's some I forgot." -- Jimmy Buffett
Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM   post #4 of 10
tonyb
MTF Member

MTF Member # 27338

What type of hydro oil did you use?
Did you have to bypass the FEL to prime the hydro pump?
Will the high pressure side drain with the low pressure?
I have a FarmPro 2420 and want to get the china crap oil changed out. It only has 30 hours on it, but Ive heard bad things about their oil.
Do I know what I'm talking about?

Charles
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM   post #5 of 10
cjax
Unbreakable Breaker

MTF Member # 1862

I don't really know HP vs LP side, I just know I drained it as much as I could with my FIL helping. He knows a little more about this stuff than I do, but I'm learning.
What I did is shown on the pictures. Before I started I raised the FEL all the way up as high as I could, then braced it with a long 2x4. Then I started my drain. I drained everything I could, then I removed the 2x4 and let the FEL lower and drained the last bits of fluid from there.
Next step was filling the Hydraulic reservoir with kerosene. I then started up the tractor (be very careful, I was pretty nervous running it with Kerosene in it). I ran the loader through all of its paces, raised, lowered, tilt and all, then raised it back up all the way and braced it again. I then drained the Kerosene, which also came out like sludge, but did an EXCELLENT job of cleaning all of the internals of the hydraulic system and reservoir. (the orange inside photo where it was black before that).
Last step was filling the unit with NAPA AW32 hydraulic oil (I bought a 5 gallon bucket, and probably have enough to do another flush and fill).
I'm very happy with the results, and the FEL seems to work a little smoother now.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM   post #6 of 10
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Great pictures cjax...and thanks for sharing !!
mark777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM   post #7 of 10
tonyb
MTF Member

MTF Member # 27338

Thank you, Sir for the reply.

Charles
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM   post #8 of 10
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

CJAX, Even though it was posted a couple of years ago, It's the first I've seen it and I think, since you done a super job of documenting it, it would be great to have it on a permanent maintenance post somewhere. Good job, even if the compliment is a little late. PJ

REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET
We all live in the land of the free
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM   post #9 of 10
John R
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31722

How long did you run the tractor with the kerosene?
And how did you get it out of the lift cylinders on the FEL?

Kubota 2350, Front Mounted Snow Blower, MMM, Rear Blade

JD 4310, FEL, Forks, Tiller, Box Blade, Rear Blade
John R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 PM   post #10 of 10
cjax
Unbreakable Breaker

MTF Member # 1862

Hey guys, sorry for the late delays, works been slamming me lately!
Thanks for the compliment Paul J. Good to know it's liked.

John R
"How long did you run the tractor with the kerosene?"
I ran it for about a minute or two, long enough to cycle the loader up and down a couple of time, along with the rear 3pt. (Just had the FIL stand on it to bring it down.)
And how did you get it out of the lift cylinders on the FEL?
When I was ready to shut it down for the drain, I raised the the loader all the way to the top and figured out which way with the bucket pulled in the most fluid. (You can watch the levels when draining) I can't remember which it was, but I then turned off the tractor and drained everything, then lowered the bucket and tilted it to get everything out I could. I may not have got 100% out, but I also left everything open for a little while, and it did dry out quite a bit. It's run fine ever since I refilled it.
I hope to get the chance to do another flush and fill next spring, and I'll try to do another photo series and compare if it is sludge again.
I put in just about a gallon of gear oil last month. Never realized how much it uses. Pretty sure it shouldn't go through that much, but I can handle it for the price I paid, and I never thought to check it when I bought it. DOH! Still runs like a champ, and even better with proper gear lube in the tranny! (both front and rear) I think I'll be watching that closer going forward.

If there's anything anyone wants to know from my experiences, feel free to ask! I've been working this thing tirelessly the past few years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.