Replacing transmission belt on my LT1042 - it's worn out! Please advise... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Greg H.
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2401
Default Replacing transmission belt on my LT1042 - it's worn out! Please advise...

Hi everyone! Just yesterday, my brother in law and I replaced the blade belt. I guess that's not too bad considering my Cub LT1042 is 4 years old. And, this is the first belt!

Today, the Tranny belt is so loose, that tension spring pops off. And, low and behold; the belt is cracked in several places. So,,, we remove the deck, after he obtains a new belt, and gets a parts breakdown from our local dealer.

But, when attempting to release the bolt on the PTO, the engine shaft spins. How do you lock the motor so the bolt can be released? The tech at the dealer says it can be done by the consumer. They charge $100 to replace the belt. And, we can see the route of the belt underneath. It looks like if we can get the PTO off, we might be able to install the belt.

One thing I did notice was the area around the pulley where the belt goes has a guard so close, I'm not sure how that breaks away to allow the belt to go around the pulley.

Any advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Greg H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439
Default Re: Replacing transmission belt on my LT1042 - it's worn out! Please advise...

Get full model number and serial number from plate under tilting seat. Go to cub website and follow instructyions for getting downloaded manuals. Choose service manual . Read.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
diesel_nut
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 23678
Default Re: Replacing transmission belt on my LT1042 - it's worn out! Please advise...

Oh no! It's the manual Police again!

Run for cover!

The guys just wants advice on how to fix something. Can't we just HELP him?

Hopefully someone will do this job and post pics and instructions.

Otherwise, what's the purpose for having a website like this? Seems kinda counter-productive for the site to always answer............READ YOUR MANUAL.

Why don't we just close all these Forums and have the site home page just state simply:

"It's in your manual".

With all that said, the service manual should cover the procedure and yes, that is a good option to consider.

..."yyup"

Last edited by diesel_nut; 05-20-2009 at 10:04 AM.
diesel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
eddyyy302
Jersey Mechanic

MTF Member # 8395

LOL, to the op, the best way to remove the PTO bolt is with an impact, sometimes it is possible to use a ratchet on the flywheel nut and pto bolt, but doesn't always work.

Dan
eddyyy302 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
murphycc
Banned

MTF Member # 22890

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyyy302 View Post
LOL, to the op, the best way to remove the PTO bolt is with an impact, sometimes it is possible to use a ratchet on the flywheel nut and pto bolt, but doesn't always work.

Dan
Yes that's how I do it. Or the poor mans impact, whack your wrench a few times with a mallet.

Scott
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
JMoe
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphycc View Post
Yes that's how I do it. Or the poor mans impact, whack your wrench a few times with a mallet.

Scott
Dunno if there's room on that engine/tractor combo, but can you pull the engine mount bolts and shift the engine around to slacken the drive belt as opposed to removing the PTO?

Joel
2005 Cub Cadet 2544.
1979 Case 220.
2003 MTD Yardman 600 series transmatic
1992 John Deere GT262
1970 John Deere 110
JMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Greg H.
MTF Member

MTF Member # 2401

Appreciate the input, everyone. I guess where I am at this point is just releasing the bolt under the PTO. The engine shaft rotating won't allow us to release that bottom bolt. I even tried holding the cooling blades while my brother in law turned the wrench on top of the engine after removing the plastic guard. That didn't work.

Maybe an impact wrench is the only logical way to loosen that bolt. If we could lock the motor, we might have a chance.
Greg H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

i recently replaced the engine on a similar cub for my wife's stepfather. the easiest thing to do is to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the engine itself to the frame and slide the engine back an inch or so, however far it will move. this will give you the slack required to get the belt on. no need to remove the PTO. once the belt is on, slide the engine back forward, and tighten down. if yours is like his, when you slide the engine back you get enough room around the guard for it to clear it. i think there was 1 other guide on teh drive belt that he removed, i know he had one sitting there he said he pulled, but not sure where it was.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
gwdave1997
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22705

Not having done it or gotten that far into my new tractor. One item you might consider is if you can get a strap wrench in there to hold the pulley while loosening the bolt you may be able to get it off that way. The other item you have to consider is are the threads right or left hand....... Any one out that that has done the job?????
Sears (Agri-Fab Vac N Go) - Professional lawn Vacuum/W extension hose

Happiness is a nice warm day, a
crooked road on a motorcycle.
gwdave1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

usually they are normal right hand threads on the PTO to crank bolt.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
mowergene
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 54460

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
i recently replaced the engine on a similar cub for my wife's stepfather. the easiest thing to do is to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the engine itself to the frame and slide the engine back an inch or so, however far it will move. this will give you the slack required to get the belt on. no need to remove the PTO. once the belt is on, slide the engine back forward, and tighten down. if yours is like his, when you slide the engine back you get enough room around the guard for it to clear it. i think there was 1 other guide on teh drive belt that he removed, i know he had one sitting there he said he pulled, but not sure where it was.
My 72 year old neighbor brought his lt1042 to me to replace the drive belt yesterday. So, I looked online for any and all help that might be out there.
After getting the tie rods out of the way and dropping the PTO with the deck pulley, I could see that the problem getting the belt around the engine pulley was going to be horrific! I loosened the engine mounting bolts, but the holes in the frame were NOT slotted, and I didn't want to mess up the threads on the bolts, so I quickly retightened them. I said to myself, "just quit....this is a two-man job and that's why the shop charges so danged much!" Then I thought about what I'd do if it were mine. I used an unorthodox method which I'll now share with the forum. Using a large punch and ultra heavy hammer, I tapped all three belt-keepers away from the pulley. I then installed the belt and then re-tapped the keepers back into place. If you've got an older machine and cannot spend the dollars or have the back to lift that engine, this is an alternative that worked for me. Cub Cadet should be admonished for this engineering feat of belt-keeper making out of the frame itself!

In the past:
Craftsman, MTD, Snapper, 1961 Ford 801 Powermaster, 1992 LB4.5HP 580546, 2003 LB10552 6.5HP Duraforce, IH Cub Cadet 105
2001 Cub Cadet 2146 14HP Linamar 38" deck, love of my life (Sold 10 Dec 2011)
In use:
1994 JD LX178 sweet little mower, only 15HP, twin cyl, water cooled!
2007 Cub Cadet 2550 22HP Kohler Vtwin 50"deck smooth running, new engine late 2010
2005 Nortrak NT 254 25HP Diesel 5' FEL, here's a case of cost-cutting, I only need a tractor 3 or 4 times a year
mowergene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Cannon51
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23545

I don't know if a 1042 is like the MTD yardman step through frame or not but here is me changing the drive belt on my Yardman. There were fingers on the frame that prevented the belt from coming off without dropping the drive pulley. I didn't think of sliding the engine back but it would have saved me having to fight the stuck pulley. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...463&highlight=
I removed the PTO bolt with an air ratchet.
Cannon
Cannon51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
lonnyb
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29641

Should be as easy as removeing the bolts that hold the belt guides on and unplugging the wires from the PTO, be carefull doing this as you do not want to pull the wires out of the PTO.
lonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
mowergene
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 54460

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnyb View Post
Should be as easy as removeing the bolts that hold the belt guides on and unplugging the wires from the PTO, be carefull doing this as you do not want to pull the wires out of the PTO.

In my case, there are no bolts........the belt guides are part of the frame.

In the past:
Craftsman, MTD, Snapper, 1961 Ford 801 Powermaster, 1992 LB4.5HP 580546, 2003 LB10552 6.5HP Duraforce, IH Cub Cadet 105
2001 Cub Cadet 2146 14HP Linamar 38" deck, love of my life (Sold 10 Dec 2011)
In use:
1994 JD LX178 sweet little mower, only 15HP, twin cyl, water cooled!
2007 Cub Cadet 2550 22HP Kohler Vtwin 50"deck smooth running, new engine late 2010
2005 Nortrak NT 254 25HP Diesel 5' FEL, here's a case of cost-cutting, I only need a tractor 3 or 4 times a year
mowergene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
chrashd
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 79641

Had the same problem. Read this on an internet search so it must be good! Pull the spark plug and put a length of rope down the cyl. rotate till the crank stops. I never tried this but the internet can't be wrong!?
chrashd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.