Chainsaw won't idle and I've tried the screw... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 PM   post #1 of 9
Tutorman101
Local dummy

MTF Member # 6381
Default Chainsaw won't idle and I've tried the screw...

I bought a brand new PoulanPro chainsaw, PP3516AVX, started it up, cut a few logs, set it down to idle, and then after about 30 seconds of idling, it shut off. Since then, it won't idle for more than a few seconds...I have to gun the motor between cuts to prevent it from shutting off. I tried the idle adjustment screw...any other suggestions before I take it in for service?

Thanks!

Tutorman101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 08:44 PM   post #2 of 9
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283
Default Re: Chainsaw won't idle and I've tried the screw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutorman101 View Post
I tried the idle adjustment screw...
Which one, the idle mixture or the idle stop?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 PM   post #3 of 9
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Fuel filter?
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM   post #4 of 9
Tutorman101
Local dummy

MTF Member # 6381

There is an idle adjustment screw that is accessible without disassembly, and that's the one I've tried. I might not be turning it enough to make a difference...does it require full turns to see any difference in the idle, or are minute adjustments enough?

When I first start the saw, the engine revs very high. The manual says to let it do that for 30 seconds, then squeeze the trigger to allow the engine to return to normal idle. I do that and the engine idles for about 5 seconds and dies.

I know a guy who professionaly works on mowers and weed wackers and chainsaws...he's rebuilt every kind of engine and would know what to do...but his wife just had their second baby and I don't want to bug him just yet...know what I mean?

Any other ideas? And thanks again for the help!!!

B

Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 AM   post #5 of 9
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

If the saw ran properely when you first had it, obiously something has changed the initial setting before you touched it. Sounds like a speck of dirt in a fuel jet from fuel or left in during assembly.

If the saw is new there should also be a new manual that came with it. Surely it should contain some info on adjusting the carb. Look for the "Initial Settings" and go from there... AFTER you check the fuel/oil mix again for water and the bottom of the tank for any "junk" down in there.

Engines "run" right after they're built. They can "stop" sometime thereafter but not because the adjustment screws dis-rotated.. Look for the source of the change, usually air filter or fuel problem.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM   post #6 of 9
Tutorman101
Local dummy

MTF Member # 6381

I did check the new manual, in fact the thing has hardly left my side since I bought it. It may not surprise anyone reading this that I am a NOOB when it comes to engines (that's "newbie" for any other noobs out there). The manual told me little else beside the idle adjustment screw. There certainly isn't anything in there on rebuilding a carb and initial settings. It didn't seem to be idling low to my ears, but that was the only suggestion in the troubleshooting section of the manual. Maybe I'll re-read it later. In the meantime, your suggestions, HydroHarold, are quite appreciated.

Frustrating, very frustrating...

Thanks again!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM   post #7 of 9
mytmouz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24409

Since it is new, I would find an authorized service repair center and let them fix it. Should be covered...
mytmouz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 AM   post #8 of 9
gunnarfan
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20939

ah.. sounds like good times. i'm coming to this site from arboristsite.com and have found my way around a variety of saws. i find that you can never really run a chainsaw right out of box without it really being setup and tuned by a pro. my buddy bought a husky from lowe's and it was the same thing. seeing that the starting isn't an issue and its a new saw i wouldn't blame the fuel filter. You've been good to check the idle screw which as you likely know by now connects to the carb and sets the base level for the trigger. you can probably give that a couple turns and watch how it turns on the carb. I would look at the two other carb screws and just make a couple minor adjustments there while its running. keep track of your turns.
anyways.. one thing you might consider is the air filter. you'd think that it would take a while to mess that up.. but take it out and give it a few whacks and see how it goes. also be mindful of your mix. i'm not sure how old your gas is but the ethanol has been eating up the mix oil. i just burned up a race saw with a rookie mistake of old mix.
gunnarfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 PM   post #9 of 9
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Quote:
Since it is new, I would find an authorized service repair center and let them fix it. Should be covered...
Best advice you can get!

Continuing down the "What to do 'til the doctor comes" route... I still say something "happened" to dis-adjust that engine.

Check fuel filter located at the end of the fuel line in the tank. Line might be twisted into a kink stopping proper fuel flow.

"Glob/flake/speck/splash" of "something" get into the tank from your "new?" fuel container? That's happened before.

Check the air filter... like above post says it dosn't seem to have enough time on it to clog up but... Also make sure the mounting fastners haven't worked loose allowing dirt past the air cleaner. Some 2 strokes can be very sensitive to the air cleaner or lack of proper fit (leaned out mixture if filter is loose).

Pull out the spark plug and look closely at it. Oily-wet? = Definite carb mixture problem. Carbon or other "fouling" on the electrode gap? Wire completely ON the plug firmly? Proper gap..

Something loosened (carb or a gasket) allowing air into crankcase... (see a pro).

I think it should be a law that all OPE manuals give full instructions on setting both HI and LOW and Edle Speed settings. "Only one screw" just is plain silly for anyone including pros or casual users...

Keep us posted on the doin's! Tutorman, it may save somebody else's posterior down the road! Maybe even mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.