Troy-Bilt LTX-1842 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM   post #1 of 6
Mr R
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25489
Help Troy-Bilt LTX-1842

Hi all, very glad I found MTF! I am not very mechanically inclined, and I was wondering if someone on here would double check my diag on my Troy-bilt.

Occasionally while mowing with the PTO engaged the tractor will stop moving, like it jumped out of gear. If I max the pedal to make the tractor go forward the bottom engine pulley smokes one of the belts.

I put it in neutral and turn on the mower deck, no problems. Turn off the deck and try to go, smoke. So I am thinking it is the engine to trans belt.

I pull out the battery to get a look at the pulleys. The tensioner and the large pulley turn free, the variable speed pulley is kind of sluggish, and the center bolt looks slightly off center. A shot of penetrating oil and all is good, until next time. At 140.00 for the VSP assembly, I would like a second opinion before I order an expensive part and be wrong.

Thanks for reading,

Mr R
Mr R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM   post #2 of 6
s2dve
Superdave!

MTF Member # 23562
Default Re: Troy-Bilt LTX-1842

Make sure the idler pulley and spring is in good shape. I'm assuming it has one.
s2dve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 PM   post #3 of 6
Mr R
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25489

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2dve View Post
Make sure the idler pulley and spring is in good shape. I'm assuming it has one.
Yes sir, it does. It is free and the spring looks solid.

Thanks,

Mr R
Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM   post #4 of 6
s2dve
Superdave!

MTF Member # 23562

I don't know your particular mower, but I have had similar problems in the past. A few times it was something as simple as the belt getting on the wrong side of a guide pin.
I think most mowers have 'em, they are supposed to keep the belt from coming off the pulley, but occasionally,(and don't ask me how) they 'jump' around the pin. It's the only other thing I can think of.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM   post #5 of 6
Mr R
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25489

Thanks Superdave. I think I will take some time this week and inspect the pulley systems and belts carefully. Being an intermittent problem, I probably won't get very far until it happens again.

I appreciate your help

Mr R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 12:47 AM   post #6 of 6
s2dve
Superdave!

MTF Member # 23562

I looked up your mower on PartsTree.com and there are actually three idlers and two belts on the drive line. There is a double idler on the lower drive belt and there is where I would start. Make sure they are keeping tension on the belt. Also I'm pretty sure the variable-speed pulley assembly has to rotate from front to back. If it hangs up, I'm sure that would smoke the belt. It could be that a stick or something is interfering with the many moving parts on this type of mower
Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well.

edit: I forgot the link.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=t...&dn=0015800004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.