Hydrostatic Transmission Will Not Freewheel - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM   post #1 of 4
TBDGS6500
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25634
Whew Hydrostatic Transmission Will Not Freewheel

I'm new to the forum but wanted to add a thread regarding an issue I ran into yesterday and couldn't find an answer. Turned out I just didn't know what I was doing because I am so new to the scene, I guess.

Sunday I purchased my first garden tractor, a DGS6500, 24hp Kohler, 48" cut, hydrostatic transmission. The Sears representative pushed the tractor onto my trailer and I could hear the tractor whirring as it moved. He engaged the transmission after getting it on the trailer. I didn't ask any questions about it because it seemed obvious how to disengage and re-engage it. After I got the tractor home, I attempted to disengage the transmission and roll the tractor back off of the trailer, but it would not move. I had to lift the back tires and carry the tractor off of the trailer with only the front wheels rolling thinking maybe the disengage only let it roll forward and not backward. The tractor would roll if I pushed it forward and I could hear the transmission whirring as it had when they loaded it on the trailer, but it was very hard to push. It still would not roll at all in reverse. I put gas in the tractor, checked the oil, made sure all the bolts were tight, and connected the ignition wiring, then proceeded to follow the operator's manual to purge the transmission, thinking this might be the problem. I was surprised that the mower moved as much as it did even with it set to freewheel (It wasn't really disengaged). After following the instructions completely, the mower still would not roll freely. I got online and started searching for the possible cause but couldn't find any threads regarding this issue. Today I signed up for MyTractorForum so I could post this question, but I had to wait for my account to be validated. While waiting I went to mess with the tractor some more. What I found was that the stick in the back of the mower to engage or disengage the transmission moved through three different positions. I just hadn't been pulling it out far enough to really disengage it. Those of you that are familiar with these transmissions may think this is a stupid thing to post, but I thought it would be nice for other newbies such as myself to find when doing a search on Google. When the transmission is properly set to freewheel (disengaged) the tractor should roll freely forward or backward with very little restriction. If you pull the rod out to disengage and feel it pop into position, pull it a little harder for it to fully move the lever to the disengage position. I believe the rod moves out about 3 or 4 inches from engage to disengage.

By the way, I do have a couple of other questions for you veterans. What is the middle position for? Or does a middle position actually exist? Also, does anyone know what the "D" stands for in DGS? I assume the "GS" stands for Garden Series. Thanks for your patience and for all the other useful information I have found on this site!
TBDGS6500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM   post #2 of 4
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: Hydrostatic Transmission Will Not Freewheel

Welcome to the forum. I'd glad you figured your problem out. Sounds like you will fit in well here.

I believe the D in DGS stands for Deluxe.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM   post #3 of 4
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Middle is no man's land. D is for Deluxe.

to MTF
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM   post #4 of 4
TBDGS6500
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25634

Thank you for your responses D-Dogg and LLigetfa. I'm studying up on a good front end loader attachment now. That electrically actuated contraption that jayvee43 is working on looks pretty awesome. I like the OR-bilt you have D-Dogg, but it looks like it only works with JD tractors. Thanks again.
TBDGS6500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.