Swisher Big mow/Ride King linkage problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661
Default Swisher Big mow/Ride King linkage problem

Got this swisher ride king at an auction and it didnt run. Finally got the spark working and the carb rebuilt, but its taken over a year and a half (had other projects), and now I'm wanting to get this running.

Problem is, I don't remember how the carb linkage is supposed to go on this. I believe this is a V60 engine, but aside from that, I can't find any information on how the linkage is supposed to hook up. Looking at the pic below, I think there should be a spring attached to the rod going to the governor, but what size spring, etc? I'm at a loss.

Here's a picture of the linkage and rod

slag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661
Default Re: Swisher Big mow/Ride King linkage problem

I just went out and bought a few springs from Ace and will adjust one until it works properly.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage

Good luck with the rebuild! When you take her for its first spin, hold on real tight when you twist that two-speed handle.
Cat385B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat385B View Post
Good luck with the rebuild! When you take her for its first spin, hold on real tight when you twist that two-speed handle.
heh.. this beast is so old.. its one speed.. 6 hp V60 I believe, but I finally got a good spark and carb is rebuilt.. tomorrow should be fun.

By any chance, know the mower belt size?

I'm also going to repaint this but cant decide if I should go Jayhawk blue/red or white/red or orange or what..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage

Can't help with any technical data, I haven't touched one of those since I was about 11 or 12.
Keep us updated and .
Old 05-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661

update---found i was missing a linkage rod.. luckily the local parts dealership had one!!!

Put it all back together and it ran well.. but dripped fuel out of the choke opening and soaked my paper filter.

Cleaned it up again, still leaking.

Well, I had replaced the needle but not the seat, but the seat looked great...... loooked.......

After replacing the seat, no more leaking!! starts up first or 2nd pull.. Now I just need to readjust the linkage and get to mowing.

oh, and one more thing. This engine leaks oil like a sieve. I am going to pull the engine tomorrow, flip it upside down, take off the lower part of the engine, and seal it up really good. I think its just a metal to metal connection right now and allowing oil to seep out when running.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
2manytoyz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18583

I have a owners manual for one of these somewhere that should give the Swisher belt number.

I had several of these over the years, both the single speed and two-speed. I'll take a look at my pile of literature and see if I can find it later.
And many more!!
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
I have a owners manual for one of these somewhere that should give the Swisher belt number.

I had several of these over the years, both the single speed and two-speed. I'll take a look at my pile of literature and see if I can find it later.
That would be awesome. Thanks much!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
2manytoyz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18583

My assumption (that I kept to myself) on the deck belt was correct. The belt is a BA50. That should be a 1/2" by 50" belt if my memory serves me correctly. I was lucky to get a replacement Swisher belt for mine before all the stores discontinued carrying them.

The drive belt for that single speed should be a T36. From what I can tell, that belt is unique to the single speed mowers. It should be a 1/2" by 36" belt if I remember correctly again.

I have a full parts breakdown for the single-speed and early two speed that I will try to scan into the computer in case someone needs it. I even have a manual for the A32B models with the 8hp Briggs on them.

If you look up the Swisher site that has information on history of the company, I think the first Big Mows were Blue and White. So Jayhawk Blue could work without causing any ruffled feathers with restoration purest. Honestly, it is your mower, paint it what ever color makes you happy.

I Almost forgot. Is the front tire solid or tubed, and how about the rears as well? The earlier single speed mowers had solid tires all the way around. I have no idea of timelines for when the changes were made. I think the switch to two-speed was in the early 60's but I can not be sure. 1992 is around the time for a engine change to the 8hp Briggs, again if my memory is correct (and it often messes with me!!).

Good luck with this machine. I still think that there were the best built and easiest mowers to service made for many years. Add the zero-turn and it was very hard to beat then -- especially for their price!
And many more!!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
slag
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5661

My big mow has 3 hard wheels and is rusty around the edges.. Its also been painted countless times and has a steel tractor seat in place of the regular one.

Where can I get a replacement wheel for the front? The tread is all worn down and it spins in slightly damp grass.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
MR FIX IT
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 13014

OMG someone else has one??? Thank god! I bought one and it runs, Ill get you some pics of the linkage. It hasnt started this year but it did in the fall. Mine is OLDER THAN DIRT and the front tire is a aired tire but its ripped into a million pieces and the drive belt on the top is worn and wont turn and the steering wheel is broke off and the steering is stuck. Its a big pile of poo right now. I havent been able to locate another OLD one like mine anywhere! Mines also got a steel seat and is red and white with a IDK HP lauson (tecumseh) engine.
7268 (F) 3050 (C)
8241 (F)
1816 (C)x2 Snowboy 8220 (C)
1820 (C) x2 Snowboy
10550 (DF)
C21ZMR R7070 Promo
8070 X2 Promo
10324 (DF) 10323 (DF)
JD 14sb (Gpas new, Kawi)
MR FIX IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
MR FIX IT
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 13014

OH and btw mine has a crank windup starter which is a PAIN to start and it gives me blisters! Does yours have a recoil on it? I would love to find a recoil to put on mine.
7268 (F) 3050 (C)
8241 (F)
1816 (C)x2 Snowboy 8220 (C)
1820 (C) x2 Snowboy
10550 (DF)
C21ZMR R7070 Promo
8070 X2 Promo
10324 (DF) 10323 (DF)
JD 14sb (Gpas new, Kawi)
MR FIX IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
2manytoyz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18583

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR FIX IT View Post
OH and btw mine has a crank windup starter which is a PAIN to start and it gives me blisters! Does yours have a recoil on it? I would love to find a recoil to put on mine.

I just sold my last parts mower with a good pull-start. I think have a couple good crank-starts sitting in my shed, but I might have a pull-start. At one time, they could be bought BUT they were very painful, not sure if any NOS could be found or not. Used ones might be found in area where Big Mows were popular.

Slag, that rim should be a split rim and worst case, you could switch out the solid tire for a tube and tire in a pinch. The rim should be the same as the rear rims on the newer mowers if I am thinking correctly -- it has been several years since I last swapped new and old parts around on these.

If I knew that they were not cut for scrap iron, I had a pair of parts mowers offered to me a couple years ago. One had a good solid front tire on it -- not sure about rim condition and I think the other had a good recoil on it as well. They were different models so I could not get enough good parts to get one good one so I left them sitting in the weeds. Good chance they might still be there.

I'd love to see the pictures of both your machines. Who knows, I might have some parts sitting around that could help you guys out unless I get the wild hair to restore one for myself again. It's been close to twenty years since I last restored one of these -- parted out several over the years to keep others running though. Here I was thinking that the Big Mows were forgotten, this thread is making me want to start looking for another to restore.
And many more!!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage

"The tread is all worn down and it spins in slightly damp grass."

I pretty sure rockin' back and forth is the preferred method to gettin' going. I think my dad said it was in the manual. I always got ours hung up somewhere, I'd just hop off with the wheel turned to the side and kick it. Cripes, now I'm thinking of finding one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
Cat385B

MTF Member # 22567
Garage

Found a pic of one, but its one the newer fancy ones.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.