A couple questions on my LT 1000 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 AM   post #1 of 8
jabush
MTF Member

MTF Member # 25012
Default A couple questions on my LT 1000

Hi All. First post here.
I own a 2002 LT1000 (#917-271653) w/ B&S (#310707). The tractor sat (in my garage) for the last two seasons, so I wasn't surprised that I couldn't get her started. Finally got her fired up this weekend. Engine now starts and runs fine at idle, but when I give it full throttle to mow, it is racing (surging). I did add some Sea Foam to the gas tank and I dumped a couple ounces directly into the carb while the engine was running. Didn't seem to help. I'm not too jazzed about pulling the carb, but I'll do it if that's what it needs. Just looking for some other suggestions before I pull the carb.
Also, my battery was dead when I tried to start the engine. I am able to jump start the engine with my inverter, but the battery does not seem to be holding a charge. Are there any aftermarket batteries for these tractors or do you all stick with the replacement from Sears?

Thanks in advance for any insight on my issues. Looking forward to hanging out here and learning more about my tractor.

joel
jabush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM   post #2 of 8
hivolt07
Mr. Haney

MTF Member # 18533
Default Re: A couple questions on my LT 1000

Your local auto parts store TSC or even walmart has lawn and garden batteries. I for one like Autocraft from Advance Auto, they hold a good charge and have outperformed all the Diehards I've ever used.

That surging problem sounds like your mixture is a little too lean. You may need to adjust the carb to put a little more fuel in the mix. Someone else should be along soon to give a little more detail.
'65 Sears Craftsman 7hp
'98 Murray Select 16 hp
'61-'62 Economy Jim Dandy
"68 IH Cub Cadet 105
hivolt07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 PM   post #3 of 8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

it really does not matter where you get the battery, as long as it is rated AT LEAST for teh same CCA and fits in teh slot.

as to the surging, pull your choke out some and see if it runs better. if it does either the carb is stopped up or you have a leak and it is sucking air thus throwing the mix off. with it running and surging, to see if it is air getting sucked in, spray carb cleaner around teh intake but NOT in the carb. if it smoothes out, your gasket is leaking and allowing air to be sucked in. a new gasket or some permatex will solve this part.

but most likely you need to pull teh carb and thoroughly clean it. after 2 years of sitting, it imagine it is really gummed up.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM   post #4 of 8
jabush
MTF Member

MTF Member # 25012

Thanks Guys!
Yea, I guess as long as the new battery will fit in the slot I should be good. I wasn't sure if I could stray from the OEM part.

Also, the surging sounds like it is starving for gas. And it only happens at high RPMs. When I pulled the fuel shut off solenoid, the gas that poured out was dirty and it stunk. I was hoping that the Sea Foam would loosen the crud up and straighten things out, but that may be just wishful thinking at this point. I'll check the vacuum with some carb cleaner and if need be, I'll "suck it up" and remove/clean the carb.

joel
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM   post #5 of 8
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Just remove the fuel solenoid, and drop the bowl.

Clean the crap out of the bowl, run some wire through the jet, and put it all back together, usually this is all that is needed.

unless you have a NIKKI carb, to which extent...have fun pulling it.

1962 WH702

1997 K3500 Dually Sierra
Crew Cab, Long bed, Vortec 454

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM   post #6 of 8
jabush
MTF Member

MTF Member # 25012

From the diagram in my manual the carb looks like the NIKKI. Two screws holding the float bowl on and the fuel solenoid is longer instead of shorter.
Is that bad from a "do it myself" standpoint?

Also, when I ran it today the engine wasn't surging quite as bad as it was yesterday. It mellows out if I choke it slightly, but it still doesn't seem to be humming like it used to. I did get most of my yard cut, so I have 4-5 days before I'll need to cut again.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   post #7 of 8
jabush
MTF Member

MTF Member # 25012
Whew Re: A couple questions on my LT 1000

Thanks for the solid advice Red! Got the 17 hp B&S running just like the day I bought the tractor!!
I took off the fuel solenoid and dropped the bowl. Screws were kind of a Pain to break loose. The solenoid was gummed up and was not freely retracting. Sprayed with carb cleaner and worked it up & down until it moved easily. Cleaned some crud out of the bowl and cleaned all the passages in the float housing with a piece of wire. Also cleaned the brass stem coming down from the upper part of the carb as it had (green?) corrosion on it. Re-sparayed liberally with carb cleaner and made sure all was clean. Put back together and she fired right up. Moved the throttle to full and she just increased rpm and hummed along...perfect!
Battery seems to be holding a charge as well.

Thanks again,

joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 View Post
Just remove the fuel solenoid, and drop the bowl.

Clean the crap out of the bowl, run some wire through the jet, and put it all back together, usually this is all that is needed.

unless you have a NIKKI carb, to which extent...have fun pulling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 05:05 PM   post #8 of 8
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Nikki carbs are easier to clean, and resist corrosion as all the parts are aluminum, or plastic except the emulsion tube in the center and the jet itself in the pladtic tube.

A Nikki carb is more likely to clean up with a simple cleaning like you did.

But getting those 2 screws loose sometimes gives people fits.

The best tool Ive found is a small set of pliers sold at NAPA, they are 3 position channelled pliers, very small, about 4" in total length, with hardened gripping teeth on the small ends.

THey will grab the heads of the screws on the carb bowl and break them loose long after the phillips and flathead parts have stripped away...

Glad you got it going!

1962 WH702

1997 K3500 Dually Sierra
Crew Cab, Long bed, Vortec 454

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.