Steering problems on troybilt bronco - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
polarisatp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25040
Unhappy Steering problems on troybilt bronco

I need some advice quickly.I used my father-in-laws rider the other day and by time I finished the back everytime I went to turn the wheel would click, I could hardly get it in garage. I looked at the steering wheel and tightened the bolt, that did not work. I checked the steering gear and the steering gear plate. It seems like it will turn one way fine , but when you turn the other way the steering plate seems to not catch and skips. Teeth do not seem to be broken but why would it turn fine one way and not the other.I have to fix this by friday to stay in the in-laws good graces. of course the steering plate is 48.00 any help or advice would be appreciated.
polarisatp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Byron R
Branded for LIFE !!!

MTF Member # 505
Default Re: Steering problems on troybilt bronco

polarisatp.. ...Maybe take the weight off the front end by jacking it up off the ground..then turning the steering wheel back and forth and check for movement of any of the brackets pertaining to the steering..maybe you will get lucky by tightning some thing up..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
s2dve
Superdave!

MTF Member # 23562

I don't know anything about your particular mower but any chance that the gear is plastic? I have had success with a few mowers moving the gear either up or down so it mates with the steering plate in a different place.
You may have to put a spacer under it to hold it there.

Hope this helps.
s2dve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
polarisatp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25040

I put a spacer in so it would hit in a different spot and that seemed to work, so this morning when I went to mow it started doing it again. When I turn wheel to the left it turns fine, when I turn to the right it starts skipping not engaging the teeth. I jacked it up and it turns fine both ways.Now I am really confused.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

My daughter's rider had a similar problem.

CLICK HERE

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
s2dve
Superdave!

MTF Member # 23562

Now that I see that picture of that bearing, I remember a mower I had years ago having something similar. If I remember correctly I removed it and used a ball peen hammer on it, just enough to take some of the slack of the steering shaft. I just did that so I could mow that day.

Hey it worked for me.
s2dve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
polarisatp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25040

I called thw local mower shop and talked to one of the mechanics. He knew exactly what I was talking about. I ended up ordering the new steering gear and I guess you would call it the hex flange plate like you have pictured above. So hopefully once the parts get here I can try it out . Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisatp View Post
I called thw local mower shop and talked to one of the mechanics. He knew exactly what I was talking about. I ended up ordering the new steering gear and I guess you would call it the hex flange plate like you have pictured above. So hopefully once the parts get here I can try it out . Thanks for all your help.
The hex flange goes for $1.75..

I hope he did not talk you into the whole assembly..
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
lance_kidd
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 25414

I figured I'd add something that happened to me last week. I had the same problem the other day with my Troy Bilt. I've had it three years and then the steering started clicking and wheels not turning.

I got out the parts diagram and looked under the thing and seen that the steering shaft was wobbling around and not allowing the little gear to make contact. I went and bought the hex flange in the picture above, wondering how in the world it was going to work.

I got home and found that the machine that was suppose to cut the hexagon shaped hole in the bottom plate, did not cut it all the way through. There is a stamp that I can see where the machine at the factory I guess, tried to press through or cut the hex shaped hole, but the only thing I have to work with is just a hole that has been worn almost oblong. If this little flange nut was ever on there to begin with, it fell off before I took a look at it, and even if it was, it couldn't have been doing it's job because it had no way to hold the shaft steady.

Anyways, Troybilt finally found the plate and is shipping me one for free.

I don't work on anything mechanical. This took me about 5 hours to figure out, but I'm rather proud of myself I have no idea how it worked in this rough yard of mine for three years, lol.

lance_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage
Default Re: Loose Steering Wheel troy bilt

Did a repair on my daughter's Super Bronco steering bushing..

Easy fix..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06-28-2009 006.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	70616   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-28-2009 007.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	70617   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-28-2009 010.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	70618   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-28-2009 011.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	70619  

Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
davebu
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 74884

The steering problem of the Bronco not making a right turn is normally the results of the Hex Bearing Flange wearing out. The replacement part with shipping is around $10.00. To fix this problem is not really difficult, but it is a knuckle buster due to lack of clearance when removing and replacing some of the parts. Remove the two metal hood sides of the hood assembly and then drain and remove the gas tank.

Now, get on the ground, on your back and remove the lock nut from the bottom of the steering shaft. A flashlight or shop light helps. Above the lock nut you will see a metal gear and above that is a metal washer. It may be necessary to drop the mower deck to get to this nut. If you can remove it without removing the mower deck, do so. Removing and reinstalling the deck is frustrating and time consuming. After you have removed the lock nut and the metal gear, lift the steering shaft about an inch and then remove the metal washer that was above the metal gear.

Now stand up and lift the steering shaft to a point above the round hole in the frame and move the bottom of the steering shaft to the side a few inches so it is out of your way. Using a flashlight, look into the round hold and you should see the worn out Hex Bearing Flange. Reach into the hole and pull out the old Hex Bearing Flange. It is possible that the old flange totally disintegrated and is no longer there. Place a heavy coating on grease on the new part and place it into the hold. Note that the HEX section of the bearing flange goes down into hex shaped hole in the lower frame. Coat the bottom section of the steering column with grease and reinstall. Now on your back again and replace the washer, gear and lock nut. You may have to slightly lift the steering shaft to get the washer in first. Apply a heavy application of grease on the gear. Make sure the steering now works properly, replace the gas tank and replace the hood side panels.
davebu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.