Replacement Drive Belt - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM   post #1 of 8
Munkey
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 24992
Default Replacement Drive Belt

I need to replace the drive belt on my Craftsman lawn tractor. The manual shows it to be part #140218 which cost $29 at Sears. The dimensions on the belt at the Sears website show it to be 84.5 x .490.

Does anyone know if a 84" x .50" or a 85" x .50" belt will work? I can get one of these substantially cheaper than what Sears has the replacement for.

Or, would anyone recommend anything other than the OEM belt?
Munkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM   post #2 of 8
Everlandfarm
everlandfarm

MTF Member # 13530
Default Re: Replacement Drive Belt

Buy both sizes at TSC or NAPA or wherever, take back the one that doesn't fit. You should have a lot of "take up" available through tensioning springs, etc.

Good Luck,

Ev
Everlandfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM   post #3 of 8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

i never buy OEM belts from Sears, they want way too much for any parts they deem exclusive to them.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM   post #4 of 8
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

The Lowes near me has many belts in stock for their line of Huskvarna tractors,and many of the belts fit Craftsman too,since they make them for Sears..I've seen the same belts Sears sells there for about 10 bucks less,but they have the Huskvarna part #on the package,but if you look close you'll see the Sears number there too,in much smaller print..

One clerk at the Lowes I go too actually had the good sense to mark the INCH sizes on the shelves too,but some moron that "updated" the belts stock removed most of his penciled in size markings on the shelf tags..I bought most of the belts by sizes,not by what they fit!.(since I own and work on OLD stuff mostly)..

You'll pay about 30-35 bucks for a OEM quality Kevlar belt..one of comparable quality like a Gates "Green Stripe" or Dayco "GPL" Lawn and Garden belt will run you between 20 and 30 bucks at most auto parts stores..in my opinion the MTD,Murray,and other brands OEM belts are better than the auto parts ones are,and worth paying 5-10 bucks more for..

You can use cheaper "utility" 4L (1/2") or 5L (5/8") belts,that often are half the price,but they might not hold up well with an idler type drive,especially a clutch if its the drive belt for a tranny or deck--mower deck blade drives aren't so fussy,since the belt is usually always "tight" and not being tightened and loosened a lot and forced to slip,and dont have much load compared to pulling the tractor around....

Automotive belts aren't a true 1/2" or 5/8",and the taper of the "V" is a bit different than lawn and garden belts are,that can make them have a short life if used on a mower or tractor,but will get you by in a pinch for awhile..but you wont want to use a "cogged" belt that has grooves on the back side on an idler type drive,it'll vibrate ,and could harm things,not to mention drive you nuts!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 PM   post #5 of 8
Everlandfarm
everlandfarm

MTF Member # 13530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
The Lowes near me has many belts in stock for their line of Huskvarna tractors,and many of the belts fit Craftsman too,since they make them for Sears..I've seen the same belts Sears sells there for about 10 bucks less,but they have the Huskvarna part #on the package,but if you look close you'll see the Sears number there too,in much smaller print..

One clerk at the Lowes I go too actually had the good sense to mark the INCH sizes on the shelves too,but some moron that "updated" the belts stock removed most of his penciled in size markings on the shelf tags..I bought most of the belts by sizes,not by what they fit!.(since I own and work on OLD stuff mostly)..

You'll pay about 30-35 bucks for a OEM quality Kevlar belt..one of comparable quality like a Gates "Green Stripe" or Dayco "GPL" Lawn and Garden belt will run you between 20 and 30 bucks at most auto parts stores..in my opinion the MTD,Murray,and other brands OEM belts are better than the auto parts ones are,and worth paying 5-10 bucks more for..

You can use cheaper "utility" 4L (1/2") or 5L (5/8") belts,that often are half the price,but they might not hold up well with an idler type drive,especially a clutch if its the drive belt for a tranny or deck--mower deck blade drives aren't so fussy,since the belt is usually always "tight" and not being tightened and loosened a lot and forced to slip,and dont have much load compared to pulling the tractor around....

Automotive belts aren't a true 1/2" or 5/8",and the taper of the "V" is a bit different than lawn and garden belts are,that can make them have a short life if used on a mower or tractor,but will get you by in a pinch for awhile..but you wont want to use a "cogged" belt that has grooves on the back side on an idler type drive,it'll vibrate ,and could harm things,not to mention drive you nuts!..
Really excellent discussion on drive belts!!! I notice that you didn't include "Sears" in your OEM recomendation. Any thoughts on them? I've found that I get better service with a TSC "green" than the Sears replacement. To be honest, the one "early" failure that I had with a replacement Sears belt "could" have been infant mortality or something, but I haven't gone back. OK, we all know that Sears doesn't make anything, just buy and relabel. I'm curious what you think as you've obviously looked into this. Thanks again for the discussion!!

Ev
Everlandfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM   post #6 of 8
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I haven't bought a belt from Sears in years,and its been at least one,since I even looked at their selection..the price scared me away!..though I noticed the other night that Lowes prices are climbing too now,some belts top 40 bucks now..(but many belts are 80-100" long too,and are costly anywhere when you get to that length)--another thing I dont like is the fact they (and many other retailers) are only stocking belts and other items only for their tractors they sell,within say,5 years old or less,and are sending back the "old" belts that fit older machines..leaving guys like me out of luck when I need a belt ,etc..mower shops are far apart and scarce here,and dont stock much on hand..

I suspect Sears buys the belts from whoever makes them for Huskvarna,if its not them..they mark things up too much,IMO--thats why they are suffering ,they dont keep prices competitive with other sources,and now I read they are dropping the parts department at many stores too..that is only going to help nail their coffin..

I dont have a TSC nearby,I wish we did..but if they sell "Green" belts,I bet thy are Gates green stripe belts in their packaging..Gates used to be THE best belt,and still have a good reputaion,same can be said for Dayco,who make the blue "GPL" lawn and garden belts--but like many manufacturers,they now have factories in China and Mexico,all over the world producing their stuff now,and quality isn't always top notch ..you pay more for the name and supposedly good reputation,but dont always GET that!..

I recently bought a "lawn and garden" belt at Auto-Zone--a 79" x 1/2" ,for 7.99!...other stores wanted double that easily..they are "Kelly-Springfield"brand,made by Goodyear supposedly or a subsidary of Goodyear,according to the labeling..

"Hencho En Mexico" is printed on the belt..they appear to be typical black
v-belts like automotive ones,but do have a different fabric cover..I haven't had to use it yet,but when I do I'll b keeping a close eye on it to see how it holds up..since my tractors arent new and have issues with old pulleys ,idlers,and a deck with sloppy mounts,they tend to eat belts fairly rapidly,no matter what I use..I'd rather blow 8 bucks than 20 every time one fails,if I can get about the same amount of use from it!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 PM   post #7 of 8
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Welcome Munkey,

I bought my replacement belts for my Craftsman from Sears. Price aside, they were good quality belts that held up well.

Don't know if a generic AYP belt from Lowes would have done any better of worse.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 PM   post #8 of 8
flyrv9
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24910

I have never replaced the drive belt on my 11+ yr old riding mower. However, I have replaced the belt that drives the deck. I had to rebuild the desk a couple years back when the welds broke that held the pulley assy to the deck. I used bolts and spacers - and when all was back together I found the original belt was too loose.

After much searching I found one at TSC that has worked great. I have noticed it has stretched some now. I haven't yet checked to see if I can adjust the slack out. If not, I plan to make an idler pulley and spring load it so it self adjusts.

BTW the TSC belt and the Craftsman belt were different in how far in the pulley groove they went. This changes the size you need. It seems the craftsman belt sits too low in the pulleys - which I never really noticed before. Anyway, the folks at TSC were great about letting me try and exchange belts until I found the right one.

I have spent part of the last two days mowing with no major problems.
flyrv9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.