propane conversion - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Q'man
MTF Member

MTF Member # 548
Default propane conversion

Has anyone tried a propane conversion on a garden tractor?
Q'man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867
Default Re: propane conversion

I have not,but I saw the plans to convert a Walbro carb to propane useage is listed on the www.theepicenter.com website ..they used it on generator engines,but a Tecumseh or Kohler with a Walbro on a tractor would likely be the same..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
js5020d
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 3908

It is doable and the proper equipment is out there for a conversion but Im not seeing an advantage in the running of propane. Propane has less BTUs per gallon than gas and would take more fuel to do the same amount of work. Unless you need to run it inside or have a real cheap source of fuel I dont see the advanage myself. But it can be done.
js5020d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

the way fuel prices have been, i don't even see a cost savings. LP cost almost as much as gas, so unless you are using a lot you won't save enough to even pay for the conversion.

several farmers here run LP in their trucks. they had them converted when LP was around 1.00 a gallon here and gas was around 1.50. currently LP is within 10-15 cents of gas per gallon and they say it ain't worth it to them if they had to buy now. most of them have a huge bulk tanks at their shops though, and purchase several thousand gallons when the price is low so that it will carry them thru the year. then they fill teh 50-75 gallon tanks on teh trucks.

davidg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Q'man
MTF Member

MTF Member # 548

Gas is cheaper right now, so this wouldn't be an advantage at the present...
I'm looking more for the advantages of cleaner burning etc. Just wondering for future use and would the engine last longer on propane is the big question. I know the amount of oil changes are less when burning propane. You don't have to worry about ethanol gum up when sitting for a period of time and not being used (like gas engines).
Any other advantages? Or is earth day just going to my head?

Last edited by Q'man; 04-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Q'man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
js5020d
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 3908

I was in the industrial lift truck biz for many years,, to my knowledge none of the engine manfacturers recomended a different maintenence schedule for a propane powered engine compared to a gasoline powered one, and there was no noted advantage to propane when it came to wear on internal components. Leave a propane powered engine sit around for any length of time and you will need maintenence on the fuel system due to the additives put in the propane also. Sorry still no advantages using propane.
js5020d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
Marty
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21065

the biggest advantage to lp is that it is very clean burning. I've heard of engines with ten years old being torn down to rebuild that were as clean as new. They seen to not be prone to the carbon build up as with a gas engine. Thus less wear.

Bob
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
draddogs

MTF Member # 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by js5020d View Post
I was in the industrial lift truck biz and there was no noted advantage to propane when it came to wear on internal components. Leave a propane powered engine sit around for any length of time and you will need maintenence on the fuel system due to the additives put in the propane also. Sorry still no advantages using propane.
I will have to disagree to your staemnt that there was no advantage to wear of LPG to Gasoline. I was an industral mechanic for years for Clark Equipment and the LPG powered engines ran longer and less mechanical engine repair due to wear compaired to those run strictly on gasoline. Tjhe biggest benefits are less wear and cleaner air..

If you can't eat it or play with it,

Pee on it and walk away.
draddogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
mrnu
MTF Member

MTF Member # 24365

Hey I think it is worth considering the SW, esp as we Know GAS will go up ! and The Cleaner engine from what I have read on it.. My Area it is 30 cents Cheaper a Gal difference today..In 1 Year I can see It being paid for ,Plus The Benies..NU
mrnu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

One advantage with LP is you can let the tractor sit for a few years and it will start right up...

Kbeitz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

I'll bet it doesn't leak into the oil contaminating it and causing thrown rods either.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.