Cub Cadet VS. Husqvarna - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
mdelliott
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 24923
Yikes Cub Cadet VS. Husqvarna

Hello all,

I'm new here & new to tractors in general. Just bought our first house here in Northern Rhode Island & along with it we have an acre of land that needs attention. About 3/4 of the land is relatively flat, the other 1/4 or so is a hilly slope down to the street that we live on. Right now the hilly areas are full of light brush, pine & oak trees. However I plan on clearing all the brush & making it a little more neat in there. Trees will stay, but I'll need a mower that can handle that area as when I am done clearing the brush it will be a mow-able area of the lawn

I would be doing some light hauling (firewood, stone, rocks for retaining wall, etc.) with the tractor & plan on possibly tilling the ENTIRE acre at the start of next spring. I want to get a tractor that might be able to handle this stuff as well as snow removal in the winter.

Price range is under $3,000.00, in fact I'd really like to get a tractor with a few light attachments for that price... de-thatcher, cart, bagger that type of stuff, you know.

Here are the Husqvarna models that I'm looking at:

Husqvarna 2346XLS
Boasts locking rear differential. Supposedly it is last years model, but this website says otherwise. I've found one at a local place for $2,549.00
Husqvarna LGT2554, 2348LS, 2246LS
Been looking at these too although not as excited about these models. Please let me know what you would pick for my situation on the Husky's.

As for Cub Cadet these are the models that I'm looking at:

Cub Cadet SLTX1050 & SLTX1054
Cub Cadet GT1554 & GT1554VT

I like that the cub Cadet sltx series offers the 12" turning radius, but I suppose that it's not the most important thing out of everything to consider. Oddly the frame on the sltx's is 9 gauge & on the GT's is 12 gauge. There's a few weird things that I've found like that.

Anyway, I really would appreciate your help & advice. I want to find out what people think is the better brand & also what models to consider for each brand. All in all, I really want to get something that's going to last me a really long time if I take care of it.
mdelliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: Cub Cadet VS. Husqvarna

The 2346 has not only the diff lock, but the Vanguard engine as well. I do not see this model on the Husqvarna website as a 2009 model - there is a 2146XLS with a vanguard and auto locking differential. I don't see that this model is rated for ground engaging attachments, but it will pull a cart, a tow behind self powered tiller, run a snow blade or blower, and you can put a scoop on the front.

I think Husqvarna's GLS and LGT series are the ones with ground engaging capable trannys.

The 2346XLS would seem like a good choice of the models you listed, as it has the differential lock. Of course, as you approach $3000 for a riding mower/lawn tractor, there are other brands to consider. JD, Simplicity, Kubota.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
FrankMA
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 10550

You should seriously consider a well maintained used Garden Tractor. A GT is going to hold up to the work you have planned. Scour Craigs List (it's as local as you want) or E-Bay and be diligent about it. You'll find what you're looking for eventually.

Any older used GT is 10X better than what's available today (new) in the under $ 3,000.00 category for the plans you have. Hills, heavy loads, etc... are light duty tranny killers and most tranny's in this price range are not serviceable.

Read a bunch of the older posts on this site and you'll learn what to look for and what to avoid. &

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Honda HS621AS Snowthrower
Honda HS520A Snowthrower
Honda HS624WA Snowblower (Sold 8/23/2010)
Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
McCulloch MS1635 Chainsaw
Weedeater SST25 Line Trimmer

"It is what it is!"
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
cadetpwr
Diesel Mechanic

MTF Member # 6084

Look into the ihregistry.com website, That site is dedicated to the older cub cadets and a great place to find a good used one that will give you years of service and is built like a tank compared to whats out now. I work for a CC dealer, both models you have listed are popular ones. As long as all you want to do is mow and pull a lawn cart. If you want to do more, you are much better off to look at an older IH built model that has been refurbished. Mike
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

If you're not interested in used I think you have some good choices there for tractors. It seems like you are not planning any ground engaging activites, except the tilling. Since the tilling is a one time thing I would plan on renting one next spring and take it out of the equation.

For snow removal I would see if any of the dealers you talked to handle Berco snowblowers. The Berco Compact should suit you just fine in RI and will be priced comparably to the Agrifab made unit they will try and sell you, but IMHO it's a much better blower, and can be ordered to fit any of those tractors.

If you do want to go used, $3000 will buy you an awful lot of tractor. You should be able to easily slide onto a clean JD 318 with mower and powerflow bagger, snowblower, and maybe a plow blade for less than that.
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

Hey I just went over the specs of that Husqvarna 2346XLS tractor. Nice unit with a renowned Vanguard engine, but what I really like is the "Aluminum racing foot pedal". How have I lived this long without one of those on my tractor?
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
mdelliott
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 24923

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsteve View Post
Hey I just went over the specs of that Husqvarna 2346XLS tractor. Nice unit with a renowned Vanguard engine, but what I really like is the "Aluminum racing foot pedal". How have I lived this long without one of those on my tractor?
seriously. that's what got me.

And as a note to everyone recommending used. I'm reluctant because if I'm going to spend that much on a tractor I'd rather it be new... I see your point though. I can get better quality in an older tractor if I can handle that it's been used for x amount of work hours. I'll have to think about it.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
commrad
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13856

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but some of your choices are not going to work for you like the husq with the locking diff, it has a K46 good for flat ground you'll burn it up on steep hills and pretty much everything you have listed has the K46 including the LGT which is NOT repeat NOT rated for ground engaging which is retarded to call something a GT of any sort if it's not at least medium duty the LGT is a lawn tractor with 22" tires and I believe the Hydro gear 0510 (don't quote me). I would wait a couple of weeks and save an extra $200 and get at least the husq 2748GLS it has the heavy frame and K66 tans.

my $.02 stay away from cub, they are not built by IH any more but by the same company that make the yardman walmart sells

husq, craftsman and poulan pro are the same thing, you can generally catch a craftsman gt5000 on sale for less than 3k
HERE is a craftsman 2448 rated for ground engaging for $2200
FarmPro 2420 (project)
commrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
mdelliott
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 24923

thanks commrad.

what do you guys think about the Toro GT2000 series tractors?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
commrad
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13856

the 2200 looks ok at a glance but the 2100 has a constant velocity trans, this is what golf carts and low-mid range "automatic" 4 wheelers use, I'd be leary of it on a tractor.

another thing that is kinda makes me question it is that it looks like a white outdoor setup on the pedals. I'm leaving work right now when I get home I'll try to dig into it a little and see what's under there and post some links or the info.
FarmPro 2420 (project)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
RED-85-Z51
Certified Technician

MTF Member # 2950

Pretty sure all TORO riders (non-Z's) are also made by MTD now, the same people that make Cub Cadet...

1962 WH702

1995 K3500 Silverado
TBI 454

1995 K2500 Silverado
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel

1994 GMC Sierra Z71
350 TBI

RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
commrad
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13856

I did some digging and it appears the Toro is made by the same company that makes Cub and White Outdoor.

I'm not going to tell you it's a bad tractor but I personally would not buy one. I'm sure there are tons of people who have them and love them, my neighbor hates his 08 Cub GT, he's had a ton of trouble out of it from just mowing.

I still think this is a pretty sweet deal at $2200, if I were buying a new one this year it would be the one. DGS6500
FarmPro 2420 (project)
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Mr Fixit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3525

I would buy a used garden tractor before I would buy a new $3000 anything.

I actually did what you are doing. 2 years ago I got hung up on wanting a "new" mower. So I went and bought a new John Deere L120 with a 48" deck. Biggest mistake ever and a total waste of money. Last week I finally sold that new John Deere and bought a 23 year old John Deere 318 garden tractor. That was the best money I have ever spent and it's a heck of a lot nicer machine.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Wid LT1000
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 15471

I'll agree with commrad.

My CC SLT 1554 is VERY comfortable, well built by my standards, and a mowing monster, but that's about it from my experiences so far. I'm not impressed with the towing power, that hydro is weak.

For a few hundred bucks less, that DGS is a heck of a deal.
2008 CC SLT1554 27HP Kohler Courage
Wid LT1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
commrad
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
I would buy a used garden tractor before I would buy a new $3000 anything.

I actually did what you are doing. 2 years ago I got hung up on wanting a "new" mower. So I went and bought a new John Deere L120 with a 48" deck. Biggest mistake ever and a total waste of money. Last week I finally sold that new John Deere and bought a 23 year old John Deere 318 garden tractor. That was the best money I have ever spent and it's a heck of a lot nicer machine.
I totally agree, the new stuff regardless of what brand can not hold a candle to the older machines namely old deere and IH Cubs (just my opinion gota love cast iron). Before I bought my Husq last summer my intent was to by an OLD Cub and repower it but could not find anyone remotely close to here that would part with one for less than the cost of a cheap walmart rider. Instead I bought the new Husq which I am VERY happy with for cutting grass but nothing else.

just remember things are not over built anymore the way they use to be, it's better to get something heavier than you need if it's new other wise your gona break it.
FarmPro 2420 (project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.