Some old horizontal 4 strokes and a little 2 stroke - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
tgore3
Decesaed (R.I.P.)

MTF Member # 15871
Default Some old horizontal 4 strokes and a little 2 stroke

I picked these up with a bunch of Lawn-Boy stuff. Thought they might come in handy some day, you know how that is, lol. I got the 4hp Kohler running and took a video. Some of these look pretty old and heavy duty cast iron. One is a little Tecumseh 2 stroke, it's like new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellMx...e=channel_page

tgore3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
jake wells
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 10475
Default Re: Some old horizontal 4 strokes and a little 2 stroke

the first engine is a briggs and stratton model 5S rated at 1.8hp

John Deere X700
Stihl FS 36
Murray GT 18/46
MTD LT 16/42
MTD push mower 4hp 22' SP
1946 briggs model AP
81 ford F100
68 chevy C10 lwb
jake wells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I sold one of those 5s Brigg's and a model ZZ,and a Model "A" Briggs with a hand crank starter for 75 bucks each a few years ago,when bills needed paying..wish I hadn't sold the ZZ and "A" now..you still see the small ones like the 5s around at swap meets and on old reel mowers fairly often..those things never die!..cast iron block,piston,and bronze bushings on th crank,and a forged connecting rod!..

Those Kohler 4 HP motors were the industry standard here on most cranberry bog pickers and other machines..many were used 30+ years before needing an overhaul,many are still in use here today,but newer OHV Honda's and small Diesel's are gaining popularity as the Kohlers slowly die one by one..

I would have taken those home too,if I had the chance!...I say you did OK,especially on the Kohler and Briggs..the 5 HP Briggs will be useful on something for sure too..

I have a like new horizontal Tecumseh 2 stroke too,off one of those MTD "paddle" type snowblowers,I think its a 4 HP A600 model..been trying to think of some good use to put it too,before it sits too long and turns to crap..anyone ever use one on a mini-bike or go-cart?...

My last experience in using a 2 stroke on a go cart was dissapointing,a "Power-Products" one,about 3 HP I guess--I had to PUSH the darn thing after flooring it to get it moving!--would go 45 mph once you got it wound up,but it had NO balls at all--soon as you hit a slight incline or grass,it would just about stop--putting a bigger sprocket on the wheel to gear it down did not help much either..I'd rather not waste my time putting that 2 stroke on something ,if thats what the results will be..it'd be a neat "big block" for a radio controlled airplane I bet!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
tgore3
Decesaed (R.I.P.)

MTF Member # 15871

Wow, I thought the first one was a Kohler by the looks of the shroud. Stout looking little engine.

Far as i can tell the little TC200 Tecumseh 2 stroke is for a light weight tiller made by Troy-Bilt.

That old 4hp Kohler seems like it would just sit ther and chug along all day as long as you kept fuel in it. I think it has a Weber carb on it.

What era might the old cast irons be from? Very old?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

Those 4hp Kohlers bring the big bucks on ebay. Couldn't get one at a reasonable price for my old wheel horse so I sent it down the road.

The early Bolens ride a matics used them too.
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
tgore3
Decesaed (R.I.P.)

MTF Member # 15871

Got the briggs and stratton 5S running today. Thanks for the ID on that, While I was cleaning it up I did find B&S logo on that shroud under paint. Of course I made a video of it running, lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6nM-...e=channel_page
Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
tgore3
Decesaed (R.I.P.)

MTF Member # 15871

That old Briggs has the absolute strongest spark of any internal combustion engine I've ever seen. Just barely rotating the engine by hand with the plug out will shock the crud out of you. The arc at the plug is crazy, most amazing spark I've ever seen. I might have to make a video of it, it's that impressive, lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

If I remenber right,that 5s had the coil inside the flywheel ,and different style of points than the Aluminum Briggs engines had..I remember robbing a set from my 5s to get the "A" going,they were the same!..I think the "ZZ" engine used the same ones too,had a "Pincor" ? magneto..

I'm guessing that 5s is from the 40's or 50's,but I've seen a briggs catalog we had in the attic of an old parts store I worked at,dated 1935,that showed one,and it looked about the same as mine,which was a '52 model off a reel mower..I cringe now when I think of how many of those I had I didn't keep,thinking they were useless,since they only had a 1/2 crank PTO and wouldn't propel a go cart or mini bike that well,unless you geared it down enough to only go 10-15 mph!..I bet I had 20 of them given to me over the years similar to the 5s,like 6n's..

One amusement park where I used to live that went under not long ago sold off all the "midget racer" cars hey had,with old Clinton's and Briggs engines like the 5s,and I heard many sold for 1-2K!..and guys looking for engines or parts for them would pay whatever you wanted for one!..I think that is why mine sold for 75,I bet the "collector" I sold those engines too re-sold them for double that easily,if not more..

One cranberry bog my friend works at as a maintenence engineer said they had over 200 of those K91 4 hp Kohlers at one time,now they have about 75 still in use,and many of the "dead" ones stashed away for parts--but he says soon they will likely just scrap them,since the newer engines like Hondas and their clones seem to be holding up well--most of the pumps are now diesels,they used to use 250 chevy sixes,but those are getting scarce here lately too..they have tons of one and two cylinder wisconsins too,but they wont part with any of them or the parts due to rarity too,unfortunately..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Byron R
Branded for LIFE !!!

MTF Member # 505

A member here at MTF..Mike Murphy has about all the info you would ever need on his site.. http://www.oldengine.org/members/mur...nformation.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.