Foton Tractors - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817
Thumbs up Foton Tractors

Any of you guys have a Foton? I bought this 60 hp in April of 08. Has a Perkins diesel and lots of power with 16 speeds fwd. 4 in reverse. AC and heated cab.

Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: Foton Tractors

Never heard of them. What is the country of origin?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Decent looking machine, never heard of those either
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

The tractor is made in China. The 60 horse power and up use Perkins diesel engines. Their made by Chinas largest agricultural equipment manufacture. I understand there are quite a lot of these in Europe and Australia. Overseas their painted blue, here their red, due to some sort of suit about the color by New Holland in the US. The Foton in blue looks a lot like a New Holland. There slowly gaining popularity in the US because of the quality of the machine. If you took all the sheet metal off, you would think your looking at a Massey Harris undercarriage. This tractor weighs over 7500 lbs dry. With the loader and back hoe, (Both American made), it weighs over 9500 lbs. In plain English, it's one **** of a machine that appears to be built very tough for half the price of a JD. The sheet metal is thick, the paint job is quality and the cab is as comfortable as you can get. It has extra hydraulic connections, individually lever controlled besides the three point hydraulics. It has a class II three point hitch and a 750 or 1000 rpm speed PTO. Comes with all weights including nose weights, extra filters for the first service and tools. Sold by Northern Tool as a Nortrac or other dealers as a Foton. All the same tractor. Comes in 60, 85 or 125 horse power models and smaller models with a different engine.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Added thoughts about the Foton tractor is; since back in the 70s, Massey and Perkins have had a partnership in mating up their engines and tractors as one unit. Maybe that's why there's a such strong influence of Massey on the Foton brand, along with the Perkins engine. Just a guess, don't know anything for sure though. The Japanese and Chinese are noted copiers though. Just a thought.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
kevanos
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 19830

No linkage between Foton and Massey. And the Perkins reference isn't completely accurate. Perkins HAD a joint venture in China called Tianjin Perkins, which it dissolved because of problems. The company has continued and used the Perkins name, even though they are not licensed to, and have no relationship with Perkins, (now part of Caterpillar). If you look closely, the engines don't just say Perkins, but "Perkins (Tianjin)" or something similar. The company has recently renamed itself "Lovol Engines", and is part of Lovol, which makes the Foton/Europard tractors. These tractors are sold under MANY brand names in the United States and abroad.
kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevanos View Post
No linkage between Foton and Massey. And the Perkins reference isn't completely accurate. Perkins HAD a joint venture in China called Tianjin Perkins, which it dissolved because of problems. The company has continued and used the Perkins name, even though they are not licensed to, and have no relationship with Perkins, (now part of Caterpillar). If you look closely, the engines don't just say Perkins, but "Perkins (Tianjin)" or something similar. The company has recently renamed itself "Lovol Engines", and is part of Lovol, which makes the Foton/Europard tractors. These tractors are sold under MANY brand names in the United States and abroad.
Your right, after looking harder, mine has a Perkins/Lovol engine. It runs fantastic, has power to spare and has given us no problems.
Regardless of what name their sold under, Foton makes a good tractor in the 60hp and up category. I have 5 American made tractors and this Foton will keep up with all of them. My problem is, as a lot of other folks, the cost of a new JD or any other American made,( and I use the term "American made" loosely) is almost twice what I paid for this Foton. I have a JD diesel in the barn and wouldn't mind having another, but I'll be hanged if I'm going to give JD an extra 20 to 30 Gs just to own one. I can put that money to better use! I don't know much about the smaller foreign tractors, I don't own any. PJ

Last edited by Paul J; 04-22-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
stuffum
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 24632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
The tractor is made in China. The 60 horse power and up use Perkins diesel engines. Their made by Chinas largest agricultural equipment manufacture. I understand there are quite a lot of these in Europe and Australia. Overseas their painted blue, here their red, due to some sort of suit about the color by New Holland in the US. The Foton in blue looks a lot like a New Holland. There slowly gaining popularity in the US because of the quality of the machine. If you took all the sheet metal off, you would think your looking at a Massey Harris undercarriage. This tractor weighs over 7500 lbs dry. With the loader and back hoe, (Both American made), it weighs over 9500 lbs. In plain English, it's one **** of a machine that appears to be built very tough for half the price of a JD. The sheet metal is thick, the paint job is quality and the cab is as comfortable as you can get. It has extra hydraulic connections, individually lever controlled besides the three point hydraulics. It has a class II three point hitch and a 750 or 1000 rpm speed PTO. Comes with all weights including nose weights, extra filters for the first service and tools. Sold by Northern Tool as a Nortrac or other dealers as a Foton. All the same tractor. Comes in 60, 85 or 125 horse power models and smaller models with a different engine.

Well soon another one will be out of a job is al i can say.
stuffum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffum View Post
Well soon another one will be out of a job is al i can say.
Well, you really can't blame the consumer for trying to save some money in these hard times. Hard times created by our government and big business. I needed a new tractor but I, as many others, could not afford to give JD or other manufactures of the so called, (and notice I said So Called), American made tractors an extra 20 to 30 thousand dollars for their product. I wish I could, but I can't! If you bought a Caterpillar, (a US company), piece of construction equipment, chances of it being made here are slim. Do you shop Wallmart or buy from Harbor Freight etc?

How about-- Caterpillar Opens New Plant In China!

OR--[B]Welcoming Caterpillar in Akashi Japan!

OK--How about John Deere Signs agreement to buy large tractor manufacture in China!
Will be known as the John Deere Nibgbo Agricultural Machinery Co. Ltd. What do you think their doing this for??

And these are not all, there are many more!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Sailingamerican
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5015

All the companies are in business for one thing and one thing only and that is not to give anyone a job. They are in business to make money for thier share holders. Bottom line. Never worrry about a lost job. Go out and creat your own. I have done it in many ways and done very well. Some ventures have not gone as I planned but I have never lost money. I quit working by the hour 31 years ago and ever looked back. The American spirit does not die when things are built over seas. A nation can not gain welth unless it trades with another. China tractors are good. At half the price Americans are saving money and bottom line if no one saved there would be no growth. Now if we could get the government to stop meddeling in our affairs everyone would be going back to work. After WII we improted things from Japan and everyone hated it. Most of it was junk. Even their fine china was looked down at. Much of it is better than anything produced here. Now japan makes fantastic merchandice. Same is true with China. The lack of ethics causes some problems but for the most part we live much better because we can buy things cheaper. England, France, Spain and Portagul tried to take the world to increase their welth. We can increase our welth buy free trade. It works everytime its tried.
Sailingamerican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingamerican View Post
All the companies are in business for one thing and one thing only and that is not to give anyone a job. They are in business to make money for thier share holders. Bottom line. Never worrry about a lost job. Go out and creat your own. I have done it in many ways and done very well. Some ventures have not gone as I planned but I have never lost money. I quit working by the hour 31 years ago and ever looked back. The American spirit does not die when things are built over seas. A nation can not gain welth unless it trades with another. China tractors are good. At half the price Americans are saving money and bottom line if no one saved there would be no growth. Now if we could get the government to stop meddeling in our affairs everyone would be going back to work. After WII we improted things from Japan and everyone hated it. Most of it was junk. Even their fine china was looked down at. Much of it is better than anything produced here. Now japan makes fantastic merchandice. Same is true with China. The lack of ethics causes some problems but for the most part we live much better because we can buy things cheaper. England, France, Spain and Portagul tried to take the world to increase their welth. We can increase our welth buy free trade. It works everytime its tried.

Just an update on the Foton. We've been working it pretty hard doing a lot of loader work re shaping one of the ponds, digging drainage with the backhoe, cutting about 18 acres of hay. It runs like a dream. No mechanical issues whatever. I paid 33,000 for it and it has so far been the best investment I've made in a long time. JD wanted 46,000 for a left over model tractor with basically the same equipment. I can do other things with the 13,000 saved. At least it's in my pocket not JDs. The Perkins in it is the most economical diesel I've ever seen and I've been working with diesels for over 40 years. Foton, good tractor! PJ

REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET
We all live in the land of the free
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.