How to make your own wheel weights? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM   post #1 of 29
GR8racingfool
JD Green all the way~!

MTF Member # 22107
Help How to make your own wheel weights?

I have seen some, and read about them before on here how many have made their own wheel weights rather than spend a small fortune for a set from the store. I'm one of them interested in making my own, cause the price of them used...is just nuts. There was never a thread/subjected dedicated to making your own, so figured we should have one with lots of info and pictures to help everyone out.

So, went back to my high school auto shop teacher a few weeks ago, and told him what I was doing, and he helped me out, and donated to me a set of large drum brakes to use for my project. Turns out, they are brand new, in the box too, and liked the idea, cause hes a tractor guy himself.

I know you fill them with concrete for the weight part, and there is some welding and drilling involved, but what I am still wondering about is how to attach them to the wheel or the wheel studs once everything is set up.

Hoping that some of you D.I.Y.'ers can help me out, and maybe post up some pictures of what you have made so I can get a good clear picture of what I need to do to make these work.

I'll be setting some new fence posts in the next few weeks, so while all the concrete is mixing, figured I should go ahead and get these ready to get filled now.

Thanks in advance!

~F~
GR8racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM   post #2 of 29
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage
Default Re: How to make your own wheel weights?

Those 4 square holes are for your mounting bolts. Get some half inch all-thread, and some half inch ID pipe, lock nuts on the rear, pipe spacers between the drum and wheel, pipe spacers inside the drum, a flat plate on the top, lock nut again with a fender washer. line everything up. tack weld the spacers to the drums. Then weld them properly once the drum is unbolted from the wheel. Fill with concrete, and then weld the cover plate onto the drum when concrete is dry.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 PM   post #3 of 29
freebird
Camaniac

MTF Member # 63

Maybe drill holes in the drums to match your 4 square holes. Put bolts through drum, fill with concrete. looks like you have clearance in the rear of the tractor to install lockwasher and nut one at a time from the inside. I'm sure others will be along to add input. Good luck.
JD RX73
Sears 16/6

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem!
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   post #4 of 29
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage

any of the above sounds like they will work, but (I know they were free) use them ideas only get brake drums from a smaller wheel that would fit inside your JB rims a little further. Keep us posted

SonnyT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   post #5 of 29
green814
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4102

I agree. Take all the ideas and make a set out of smaller brake drums that will fit inside the wheels, AND the set of brake drums you already have for outside! Never can have to much weight!
The idea about the pipe welded inside the drum before sementing allows you to have the threaded rod mounted to the wheel, then slide the "weight" on. A little easier than if the threaded rod was "IN" the cement, and you have to reach around the back of the wheel to thread the nut on.

What about loading the tires also?

Chris
green814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   post #6 of 29
cleatusj
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 400

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=57853 Here's what I did.

I'm the guy purist/restorers don't like.
Keith .
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM   post #7 of 29
GR8racingfool
JD Green all the way~!

MTF Member # 22107

Great advice...keep it comming.

I too had the concern about the size of these brake drums, but they do clear the valve stem, but as far away as they are from any main mounting point, I could see problems with them working loose perhaps. Double stacking a smaller inner + this larger outer is not a bad idea at all.

Only be using these this next winder for use with the snow blade.

I too agree, and like the idea of installing long studs to the tractor, and then sliding the weight on over them, then bolting them down tight. I can see that being 100 times easier.

~F~
GR8racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 PM   post #8 of 29
Magnum RT
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 4746

The brake disk on the outside is a nice finishing touch!

Another option s to try to pick up old tire weights from tire shops and pour them of lead. Much heavier than concrete! Of course a little more expensive, too, unless you can make a deal.
Green Bay Packers Fan
A lazy mind finds easier solutions!

Magnum RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM   post #9 of 29
Carlos
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11321

You might want to rough sand that coating off the drums before filling with concrete. Might stick better.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM   post #10 of 29
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Another method I've use with disc rotors in similar fashion,is too use some angle iron "L" bracket peices ,about an inch wide,and 1/4" thick at least,bolted to those square holes on the rim with short carriage head bolts,and I welded on four 1/2" threaded rods to the angle iron,that'll bring the rods "in" more,and allow them to line them up with the existing lug stud holes in the drums to bolt them on...that way no drilling is needed..
(call me lazy!)..

To do the cement fill,I'd bolt on the threaded rods with the pipe spacers on the inside to the drum,then fill it with cement and let it dry a day or two..no need to weld the pipe spacers on the drums,which might prove difficult to do,since you'll be using lock nuts on the outside of the drum to hold them on,and they will "clamp" everything together to the rim and angle iron brackets anyway,and it's unlikely they would ever come loose..having nuts on the outside is much easier than trying to tighten or loosen them on the back side of the rim!..
it'll also be much easier to put nuts on from the outside after sliding the drum on the long threaded rod "studs" too..if your worried about the cement cracking,you could tack weld some wire mesh reinforcement stuff across the inside of the drum halfway in,,but I've not had any troubles with that happening..

You'll probably have to flip the rims around, so the valve stems will be on the inside,it'll make them a lot easier to get at when its time to add air!..that might widen the wheel track some too,or narrow it,depending on the offset of the rims..

I've made some wheel weights out of disc rotors stacked up and bolted together,one set I made with 3 one ton truck rotors bolted together was so heavy I could barely lift the darn thing and get it lined up onto the studs!..(80+lbs!)..made a huge difference in traction..
Tractor-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM   post #11 of 29
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

I too would want a smaller diameter drum. Thos are going to stick out very far. I'd want them to be flush with the wheel/tire.
My neighbor made a set from lead wheel weights melted down. Used an old metal bucket as a form with pipe for center and bolt locations.
MU
munderhill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 PM   post #12 of 29
green814
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4102

For those that mentioned melting wheel weights down, are tire dealers willing to give/sell them cheap? That is a great idea!

Chris
green814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM   post #13 of 29
Magnum RT
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 4746

Quote:
Originally Posted by green814 View Post
For those that mentioned melting wheel weights down, are tire dealers willing to give/sell them cheap? That is a great idea!

Chris
You have to check and see what is available in your area. Wheel weights seem to cost about $1.00 a pound. What can you buy lead for at a tire dealer or even a scrap yard?
Green Bay Packers Fan
A lazy mind finds easier solutions!

Magnum RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 PM   post #14 of 29
dirtybug
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20744

The square holes (atleast on my WH) are perfect for cariage bolts, assuming you have the room behind the wheel to slide them through, then you dont have to have a wrench behind the wheel.
dirtybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM   post #15 of 29
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Lead pipe is easier to find at scrapyards than free used wheel balancing weights are ,at least around here anyway,everyone at garages seems to cash in any scrap they create themselves rather than give it away,especially when prices are up and now that the economy is down!..most tire shops re-use them a lot too,instead of tossing them,only if the clips bust off, do they toss them..not sure if a scrap yard would sell a walk in customer any lead,due to it being toxic..

We had to cut off the lead terminals on battery cables at the junkyard to prevent soil contamination--we had 55 gallon drums full of them often,we'd save them up until the price of scrap lead was worth hauling them in..Batteries have a lot of lead in them too,but I wouldn't suggest trying to reclaim it from any yourself!..

Just remember, melting lead requires a large hot fire or forge to melt that quantity of lead,and any spatter when your go to pour it can really be hazardous!--and the fumes can be very toxic too..my friends uncle used to cast his own lead fishing sinkers by melting old lead pipe using a large propane burner...he got sick many times after doing it ..never used a respirator,he figured just doing it outdoors was good enough..

I've seen ingots of lead being made at a local scrapyard that has their own smelter...too bad they are requtangular and not round!..cast iron is probably the second best heaviest alternative ,them cement..iron wont crumble eventually!..but I've had cement weights 20+ years old that were still intact when they got sold with the tractor they were on..
Tractor-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.