Toro/Wheelhorse 265-6 - Any Good? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM   post #1 of 15
BigDaddyCMU
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 882
Default Toro/Wheelhorse 265-6 - Any Good?

I'm looking at a 265-6 that's for sale near me. Original owner, around a 2000 model, 339 hrs, 15 hp. Kohler, 42" deck. Are these tractors built well? I just use it to trim around the house, trees, buildings, etc. Have a bigger mower for the rest. What would be a fair price to pay? Thanks.
BigDaddyCMU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM   post #2 of 15
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284
Default Re: Toro/Wheelhorse 265-6 - Any Good?

Can anyone answer this question ??
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM   post #3 of 15
oldandred
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 1316

Ken not trying to be a s-- most all here dont have any ver shaft but theres a guy in Indy Terry called the ver,shaft guy he may be able to help I think his im is ver,shaftguy not sure Im going to see if I still have his email mailing address he had a bunch of them
Sorry for not helping I found it its TGblanken@yahoo.com
drop him a email he will be glad to help
oldandred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM   post #4 of 15
FrankMA

MTF Member # 10550

I had a 264-6 and it was a real workhorse. A very solid tractor and the 14HP Kohler had alot of torque. Mine was a 1996 and the mower deck was gonzo. I just sold it with 570 hours on it for $ 400.00. The 1st guy that saw it bought it - kind of made me think I should have priced it a bit higher.

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Honda HS621AS Snowthrower
Honda HS520A Snowthrower
Honda HS624WA Snowblower (Sold 8/23/2010)
Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
McCulloch MS1635 Chainsaw
Weedeater SST25 Line Trimmer

"It is what it is!"
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM   post #5 of 15
rustyoldjunk
rustygold hunter

MTF Member # 7844

Big,i would imagine they are a pretty good yard tractor-strong built then a lawn tractor-not quite a garden tractor.i just hauled in a 246H,it has the standard wheel horse heavy duty angle iron frame and regular wheel horse cast iron front axle.it also has a briggs v-twin vanguard engine,the weak point looks like it might be the transaxle.it has regular wheel horse garden tractor from and rear wheels.i would assume it is plenty well built for mowing and towing a cart and will probably last a long time used this way.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM   post #6 of 15
Harold
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20224

I have the 266-H, same 260 series, except mine has a twin 16hp Kohler and a hydrostatic tranny. My tractor has been very good to me. Bought it new in 1994. Was very expensive back then, but less than one of the Wheelhorse Classics. I use mine for mowing, but also for rototilling and with the blade for leveling the driveway and snowplowing. It also hauls pretty heavy loads with the cart in tow. It's been holding up well. I don't know how the hydrostatic compares to the manual 6 speed. It should be a good tractor, if it's been maintained and stored under cover.
Just wondering, the 246H tractors were quite different, earlier models(?) than the 260 series. In my understanding, the 246H weren't compatible with the tiller and blade implements.
Harold
266-H, mower, tiller, blade
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   post #7 of 15
BigDaddyCMU
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 882

Well it's home now. Seems to be in good shape. Starts right up, everything works. Only thing I've noticed is the reverse is a little picky. On the gear drives of that model, you have to push the shifter in and shift into reverse. It doesn't engage sometimes, so you have to push the shifter in after you let out the clutch to get it into reverse. Still trying to get used to it. I like the fact that it has a separate clutch and brake, unlike the cheapy Craftsman I have. I only paid $450 for it, so I think I did good.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM   post #8 of 15
Teddy da Bear
Oldbie

MTF Member # 5659

You might want to adjust the linkage to the clutch for smoother shifts.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM   post #9 of 15
BigDaddyCMU
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 882

Been a while since I first posted. Turns out it was a shift linkage problem with the reverse thing. Just ended up filing the dash out a little bit for it to move far enough down. BTW, anyone know what model tiller fits this one?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 AM   post #10 of 15
gwest_ca

MTF Member # 20903

You can get to an attachment list here
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
Enter your tractor's long model number 72045, 72047 or 72049 and the next page has a link to the list. The serial number determines the year.

36" tiller model 79271 was used 1994-2003 and you can download some manuals from
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter the 79271 model number and use 4912345, 5912345, 6912345, 7912345, 8912345 and 210123456 to get all the manuals that can be downloaded.

There is also a service bulletin regarding the tiller and dozer blade rear hitch being too wide to fit inside the tractor frame.
Good luck in your search.

Garry
gwest_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM   post #11 of 15
Deerefarmer41
Deerefarmer41

MTF Member # 43354

I have a 264-6 and a 265H. Both have been fine machines. The 264-6 is or can be a headache to shift at times. Have replaced the shift leve a number of times, as there is a weak spot in it. Use both to operate a 36" tiller, a single bottom plow (Craftsman) and have built a cultivator that I use all the time. My garden soil is quite easy to work, after building it up over the years, so can plow six to eight inches deep without a problem. Also have a disk and have built a lawn thatcher. Have built a sleeve hitch, using the same attachment points the tiller uses. One of these days will add power to the lift for the sleeve hitch.
These machines do a fine job for me, working a acre & half market garden. I am sure that if you did not treat these machines with care, you could tear them up. Tho not as expensive as my big farm equipment, I still treat them properly.
Deerefarmer41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM   post #12 of 15
AMCJavelin74
Old Iron 1%er

MTF Member # 43316

good yard tractor... not quite up to traditional Wheel Horse GT standards, but sure is better than anything Lowes and Home Depot pushes out these days.
AMCJavelin74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 AM   post #13 of 15
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

About the sharpest turning LT you will find. When it gets slop in the steering you can adjust something below the battery. Its a pain to get to. But its a nice tractor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling on Ebay. Google: "ebay Mustangboyd". As of July 25: Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Toro 265-6 rear wheels. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck. Parting out late 80s Toro 117 Groundsmaster.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 AM   post #14 of 15
kbowley
Garden Tractor OCD guy

MTF Member # 35578

I had a 264-H and it was a great tractor. However, the hydro is soft as I burned my K61 up in one winter of plowing a very large yard. I replaced it with a K65 purchased direct from Tuff-Torq as a replacement for the Toro and that held up fine.

Right around the model year 2000, Toro reqicnized the problem and began using a Hydro-Gear 315 with is a bit beefier than the K61.

Check the model of the transmission, if its a K61 test drive it doing abrupt forward/reverse motions. if it is loud when doing that, avoid the tractor. It can be replaced but it will cost dearly, about a grand.
kbowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM   post #15 of 15
lindsayspop
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 50179

I have one that I purchased in 2002. I bought it to mow the half acre around the house and haul blocks to rebuild a tiered retaining wall. It hauled I don't know how many tons of block without a hitch. Like others, I have had a problem with reverse in this manual transmission but I still assume that tranny is stronger than a hydromatic. I have about 200 hours on it which is still modest for such a strong engine. Recently, I have had a problem with it cutting out. I spent over $200 with a authorized service center last fall for the same problem. After I let it sit for a few minutes it starts up. Is that a fuel problem or a cut off switch that is malfunctioning? In spite of those minor complaints, it is a good tractor for yard work.
lindsayspop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.