Service Manual for Craftsman Tractor 18HP 44" Deck - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM   post #1 of 6
st946tbf
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 22173
Default Service Manual for Craftsman Tractor 18HP 44" Deck

Anyone know where I can find some service information on:
Craftsman Tractor 18HP 44" Deck
Model: 917.255914

I searched their site. They have part list and some other diagram. However, the engine part missing. I couldn't find the engine's make and model on the engine itself.
The diagram is shown in a very low quality image, and electric wiring doesn't have color code, or any pin out for any of the components.
I also need tune up spec (such as gap/length information for engine, battery charge rate, et).
Search the site above, and it say not found.

If free is not an option, then where can I buy a manual for that model? If not available, how about a model that is close to that one?

I need a manual because of a problem with this tractor.
1) It does run, so I tested the spark, and there is spark. Then I tested the fuel, and found out that if I put some gas in the air filter then engine would run. So it's gas problem.
2) The above action happens a couple hours after I pressure wash the tractor (it didn't work before that, just to say, that it does start to run after the wash).
3) I let it sit for a day, came back, and took out the fuel pump and the carb and clean them up. Put back and turn the key. Nothing. Not a noise.
So, I think because of washing it, and let it sits, something screw up the electrical.
I short the Battery + to the small connection of the starter solenoid, and the engine crank up. I measure connectivity between that terminal of the solenoid and the starter electric + cable, and there is no resistance. This is confusing. I thought this terminal is excited, and makes a path between battery + to the starter cable. Here, if this terminal is connected directly to the starter + terminal, then what's the point of the solenoid. I thought the solenoid is like a relay.
From my test of shorting battery + to the solenoid small terminal, and the starter crank, would that mean the solenoid is good?
if so, then there could be problem with some of the safety switch.
When troubleshooting electrical and tracing through wires, do you cut off most of the ties? If it's bundle, it's so hard to trace. (ties == the wire or electrical tape that ties the wires together)

I took out the starter switch, and measure the resistance between different pins.

There are 5:

1) G
2) S
3) L
4) B
5) (something I forgot).

When off, there are two pins connected (I forget which is which. I can update this when I got home).

When on, nothing is connected to each other.

When start, nothing is connected to each other.
This is where I suspect the starter switch causes problem.
I read somewhere that when on (running) certain starter switch acts that way. However, it can't be the same as start. Because if that is the case, then how does it know what is what.
Without taken it apart, or replacing it, is there away to test this?
I know for sure that if I know the pin out, I can just use wires to connect them and test it out.
The problem is I can't find document for this.
The battery doesn't lose charge, so it's not shorted when not turning on.

Last edited by st946tbf; 03-23-2009 at 02:47 PM.
st946tbf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 05:38 PM   post #2 of 6
jdoff
MTF Member

MTF Member # 23096
Default Re: Service Manual for Craftsman Tractor 18HP 44" Deck

These are just owner's manuals, not service manuals, but since I looked them up anyway:
Yours should be similar to one of these (I couldn't find your model exactly). You can also find these by going to http://www.managemyhome.com/ and searching for your model number without its right-most digit.
jdoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM   post #3 of 6
st946tbf
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 22173

thank you very much. This is just want I need. I didn't know the site allows partial model number search.
I wonder where I can find the engine information for this in case I need to service it.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM   post #4 of 6
jdoff
MTF Member

MTF Member # 23096

The engine should be a Briggs & Stratton 422437 (according to the Sears manuals). I don't believe service manuals are (legitimately) available for this, but you might be able to find a owner's manual on the Briggs & Stratton website. I know that at least the parts list is available.
jdoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM   post #5 of 6
st946tbf
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 22173

Thank you very much. Your information was very helpful.
Somehow after washing the tractor and let it dry, the armature magnetron stops working (unless there is a kill wire that interferes with this, which I don't see).
Strange that on page 26 of
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0805150.pdf
there is a line between the ignition's M pin to the armature magneto. Where is that wire on the picture of the magneto?
There must be a way so that the tractor is turned off from running.
Would someone please give me some clarification on this?
Is it possible to fix this? It looks sealed in plastic.
Is it just a simple coil, or does it have electronic components controlling it?
Here are some of the pictures of it: (the original is 394988)
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/31-8051.html
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto.../dp/B00128DZFQ
http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Briggs-...-Ignition-Coil

Last edited by st946tbf; 03-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM   post #6 of 6
st946tbf
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 22173

Is there a way to test this armature magneto using a digital ohm meter? I measure continuity between the ground wire and the spark plug wire, and there is none.
Maybe there is a better way. For example, I imagine there is a diode in between to make the current DC, which may interfere with the digital meter. Also, the kill wire may turn on/off this path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.