Transporting Riding Mowers - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM   post #1 of 23
TechGromit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23092
Default Transporting Riding Mowers

There's a Slim chance I can get a riding mower from a Relative. Basically my father-in-law gave his almost new mower to his son and picked himself up a new zero-radius turn riding SCAG. Anyway his son has a lawn service, this mowers been sitting in his shed for the last 3 or 4 years untouched. I read on another posting that with ramps setup, you could drive the mower right up onto the back of a pick-up truck, taking care to secure the ramp so it doesn't slip off. I was thinking about getting some 2x10 boards, perhaps 10 feet long with some kind of metal L bracket on the end to hook on to the pickup's bumper, perhaps with a 2x4 block to make the top end line up better with the bed of the truck. My problem is a lawn mower sitting for 3 years isn't going to just start right up, The old gas alone makes it unstartable. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some maintenance work to make the thing usable. So the question is, how difficult is it going to be to push a 400 to 500 pound non-running mower up a ramp onto a pickup truck. Is this something that's going to require 2 or 3 people to handle?
TechGromit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 PM   post #2 of 23
jeepersmitty
Retired Aug.31 2007

MTF Member # 6130
Default Re: Transporting Riding Mowers

Two men should be able to get it in with no problem. I have done it by myself but it can get a little tricky.

I always know...
God won't give me more than I can handle
There are times I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much.
jeepersmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM   post #3 of 23
tweidman
I bleed M-F red

MTF Member # 19703

You can purchase the ramp ends, it will make ramp builbing simple.

I have loaded heavy, non-running tractors into my truck, alone, by using a come-along.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...it-194324.aspx
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   post #4 of 23
APinNY
I didn't do it!

MTF Member # 22011

Lowes has Ramp Tops which are the brackets you are looking for. They are made to fit either 2x8 or 2x10's. They are only $23/pair.

Kubota BX1860, 48" fine cut mulching MMM, FEL, snow thrower, cab
TroyBilt LTX 15.5, snow thrower, cab (sold)
TroyBilt LTX 13, (given away)
Craftsman DYT 4000 Special Edition, 21 HP Briggs Twin (sold)
DR Lawn Vacuum. Review here
1978 Craftsman 7 1/2 HP snow blower (backup machine-never use it)

"You will find out what that extra part is for as soon as you throw it away"
APinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM   post #5 of 23
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I'd say 2 guys are good,three even better!--.even if the third guy just watches,he can always call 9-1-1 if something does wrong!..this CAN be very hazardous,BE CAREFUL..not trying to scare you,but even a riding mower weighing 300 lbs can cause some life threatening injury in a heartbeat if it gets away from you!..

If you can back up to a hill or wall,its a lot easier!--the less angle on the ramps,the better...

In my younger days I have gotten quite a few riding mowers loaded into my pickup bed alone,but only ones without a deck,and if they had no engine, that was even better --less weight!..and I'm not a big guy really,I'm 6'5" tall,but only weighed about 150 lbs then!..I used my legs mostly,they are a lot stronger than your back or arms are!..but I knew better than to attempt loading a "Garden Tractor" alone,and if it had wheel weights,forget it,even two guys would have a struggle loading one with them on it,and you'll need BEEFY ramps too..

To load one alone,I'd lift the front end up and put the front wheels on the tailgate,block the rear wheel with a chock so it wont roll backwards,then get behind it and hoist the rear end up,while shoving it in at the same time!..it was often a painful experience though,and my back would ache for a week or more after doing that..but it was often a "take it now or it will be gone" deal,so if I wanted them, I had to get them loaded alone,or lose out!..

I had too many tractors spit the ramps out if I atttempted to drive it up onto the truck,I got hurt twice doing that,and cracked a differential in two also when one fell,so I never try that method any more--plus,your weight AND the tractor could crack a wooden ramp in two halfway up as well..

I prefered a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood stiffened with 2x4s on edge as the ramp.rather than just two planks,it reduces the chance of injury a lot--but is a real pain to lift and store in the truck bed after the tractor is in it!..

I have put a few in low gear and let it "idle" up the ramps as I guided it with the steering wheel,but most tractors with safety switches wont let it run without you sitting on it,and it's probably not the safest method there is either..and wont work if it wont run!..

I'd highly reccomend getting a small winch,either a hand cranked "boat trailer" or electric one,or at least a "Come-A-Long"..even with two guys,I've had a few tractors get halfway up the ramps ,than go off course and one tire slips off the ramps,or the ramp itself slides out from under it altogether!..then you either drop the tractor,or have to struggle to get it lined up on the ramps or the ramp back under it again,even with two guys it can be difficult..

I lost count how many times my "helper" would pinch a finger or something,and LET GO when we had it halfway up the ramps,and I'd have to push it in the rest of the way alone!---and I have been chased by "runaway" tractors as they rolled backwards when I attempted loading them alone using ramps,I often could only get them halfway up!..with a winch or Come-A-Long,you have complete control,and can stand away from it,while IT does all the work,the only thing to watch out for is the tires dont turn on you and fall off the ramp halfway up..you can put a bungy cord on the steering wheel to help keep the wheels straight ahead..

I used a Dodge Caravan to move 3 tractors recently,and I will say this,I like the much lower height a lot better !!--a trailer is good too,but loading a tractor with 8' ramps into a pickup bed 36" or higher off the ground (as is my 4x4 GMC),it can be quite a challenge..especially when the deck bottoms out as it gets halfway in!..that's when the winch or Come-A-Long is nice,it'll hold it there, while you lift up on it and "unsnag" it..curved ramps prevent that better than flat planks too...

I might make a tilting "table" that will go in my reciever hitch to carry tractors on,that way I can drive them right up on it and pin it in place,and go--and still have my truck bed free to haul other items..as I get older,lifting and pushing become harder to do without injury--work smarter,not harder,right?..
Tractor-Holic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM   post #6 of 23
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

If things are nice and dry, weather-wise and there is a ditch nearby, you can back the rear wheels of the truck into the ditch, thus dropping the height of the truck bed. The tractor can be loaded using ramps but the angle of the ramps will be very shallow, thus making it easy for one person to push the tractor on.

Another "single man" method is to buy an inexpensive "comealong" hand winch. A hefty rope through both front stake pockets on the truck fenders will give you a centered pulling point for one end of the winch. The winch cable can go around the front axle. Just crank it up the ramps, stopping whenever you need to correct the steering and you'll have it on board in no time.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   post #7 of 23
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
There's a Slim chance I can get a riding mower from a Relative. Basically my father-in-law gave his almost new mower to his son and picked himself up a new zero-radius turn riding SCAG. Anyway his son has a lawn service, this mowers been sitting in his shed for the last 3 or 4 years untouched. I read on another posting that with ramps setup, you could drive the mower right up onto the back of a pick-up truck, taking care to secure the ramp so it doesn't slip off. I was thinking about getting some 2x10 boards, perhaps 10 feet long with some kind of metal L bracket on the end to hook on to the pickup's bumper, perhaps with a 2x4 block to make the top end line up better with the bed of the truck. My problem is a lawn mower sitting for 3 years isn't going to just start right up, The old gas alone makes it unstartable. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some maintenance work to make the thing usable. So the question is, how difficult is it going to be to push a 400 to 500 pound non-running mower up a ramp onto a pickup truck. Is this something that's going to require 2 or 3 people to handle?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
At approximately 10-15 I feel comfortable driving on but any greater angle than that I would suggest pushing on or using a snatch block pulley system or come along type of equipment. Although I've pushed them up ramps around 20 by myself I recommend two people. Just be certain your pickup is relatively level side to side. To decrease the angle considerably, car ramps can be used to elevate the front wheels of the vehicle.

Something to consider, as you will see, most lawn tractor's front and rear wheels aren't spaced equal on center and that will have to be adjusted for when placing the ramps. This is where I feel better with ramps that are 12 inches wide.

The ramps pictured are some I built forming the L bracket from 10GA floor plate but purchased brackets usually work well. I attached the brackets with carriage bolts to doubled 5/8" exterior sheathing plywood cut from a 4x8 sheet. Two 2x2s were added just inside each edge for a little xtra strength. They work real well being nearly 12" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower loading .jpg
Views:	224
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	62603  
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 PM   post #8 of 23
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseguytoo View Post
If things are nice and dry, weather-wise and there is a ditch nearby, you can back the rear wheels of the truck into the ditch, thus dropping the height of the truck bed. The tractor can be loaded using ramps but the angle of the ramps will be very shallow, thus making it easy for one person to push the tractor on.
Big Ditto there! Use this method on my Harley as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM   post #9 of 23
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703

Done it quite a few times B-4 I got a trailer--a second/third person is always better, though--just as another set of eyes...

You can get hurt so quick out here in the real world.

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM   post #10 of 23
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

you talk about orange mower SCAG?

those weight lot than 600 pounds. like 1,500 pounds.

Please join this
Milwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM   post #11 of 23
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

no, he meant the mower he is getting was replaced by a SCAG. he is getting a regular rider.

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM   post #12 of 23
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
no, he meant the mower he is getting was replaced by a SCAG. he is getting a regular rider.
oh I thought he mean scag

ok

If I was you I would have someone with me to lift tractor on bed.

or find ditch then put truck near ditch then tractor drive on truck's bed

Please join this
Milwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 AM   post #13 of 23
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

I really should mount my 12v winch into the front of the bed of my truck. I'm 6'0" and 155. I have by myself pushed my Toro 266H and 52" deck up my 10' ramps all by myself. And that was inch by inch, reaching around to push on the brake pedal to catch my breath. It is at least 700 pounds with deck on it. I would not try that same feat with one of my Case 448s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling on Ebay. Google: "ebay Mustangboyd" all one word, no spaces. As of July 15: Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, WH B115 hood, Toro 265-6 rear wheels, 1979 Case 446/448 manual. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck. Parting out late 80s Toro 117 Groundsmaster w/52" deck.
Boyd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 AM   post #14 of 23
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

On my truck I put a 4" channel across the bed by the back window and mounted a hand winch in the center and extended the crank handle all the way to the side of the truck... I can load anything all by my self...

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 AM   post #15 of 23
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

i hauled my L130 in teh bed of the truck the first month or so i had it. then i got smart and bought a trailer! if you are gonna haul tractors, they are a must!

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.