Engine Swap ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM   post #1 of 207
James_98
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9346
Default Engine Swap ?

Hi
I've got a question for you guys. I purchased a diesel engine because it was such a bargain(10 hp). I was thinking would it be possible to put it on my gravely 10a ??? The shaft is 1 inch in diameter and 2 3/4 inches long. is it possible to put this on my 10a ???
Thank you

-James
James_98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM   post #2 of 207
jrd
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 13434
Default Re: Engine Swap ?

Others know much more about repowering these things than I do, but I'd guess it would be hard, unless that engine is designed for this sort of application. At minimum, you'd have to find a way to mount it, which would involve some kind of adapter plane, and then work out how to get a gear of the correct size at the correct depth to run the drive. Might be a fun project, but I bet it's not just a bolt-up.
jrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM   post #3 of 207
js5020d
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 3908

There was a fellow who put a 23hp Briggs Vanguard on a 10A and it was all bolt on you just need the correct crank length, all the pics, part numbers and specs were on the web, but unfortunately the sites they were on have closed. He used all off the shelf parts from Gravely to make the swap. The later engines used by Gravely had a straight 1" crank so the gears are available. Big issue is the crank length, I dont recall the length you need,, Im thinking it was a bit over 3" though.
js5020d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   post #4 of 207
Kbeitz
Collector of many tractors

MTF Member # 86

Anythings possible.... If you cant do it a machine shop could...

Kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM   post #5 of 207
G. Collins
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22192

Most all engines on a Gravely have a adapter plate between the engine and transmisson. I think the 10a has a two step crankshaft for two gears. It could be that the bolt pattern on the adapter plate would match the diesel. I would worry about the weight of the diesel engine, could be hard to balance the unit.
G.
G. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 AM   post #6 of 207
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

SOme one made a adapter to bolt a Honda onto them. Cant remember where I saw it though.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM   post #7 of 207
Com12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21010

I just put a 13hp Honda on my 8hp Professional tractor. There is a guy that makes an aluminum adapter and gear spacer to make it work. You will also need the Gravely gear for a 1" diameter shaft. Went pretty well, some oil leaks but that was my fault. I considered a 10hp diesel and he said it would probably work. If you are interested I can give you his contact info.
Com12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 AM   post #8 of 207
krislu
Gravely Fan

MTF Member # 170

post pics! Let's see it! - Kris
krislu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 AM   post #9 of 207
BlownL67
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 15892

Quote:
Originally Posted by krislu View Post
post pics! Let's see it! - Kris
Ditto! I don't believe it til I see it!

If I decide to keep my C12, I have been thinking about a repower also. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a K341 (16 horse) and transplanting it. If I am not mistaken, the K series of engines seem fairly simple and I it would be a fairly easy swap. Anyone have experience with a swap similar to this ?
BlownL67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 AM   post #10 of 207
Com12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21010

Ok, here ya go.
The one phase where I forgot to take pictures was the adapter plate and gears on the new engine, guess I got to excited. Anyway, I started with a 8hp Professional (paid $800) with 16" tires and no steering brake. Found a guy selling most of the steering parts and brand new 18x9.5-8 tires wheels and hubs for ($250). Engine is a Honda clone ($330) bought local and the adapter plate and gears ($300). Exhaust manifold ($50). I may have spent too much but I wanted to give it a try and I figure going forward the older Kohlers will be hard too find.

The adapter is made by Bruce Guthrie at Guthrie Repower (423-716-4611), great guy and helped me out with the details. Engine went pretty easy but a few problems. Because of the cylinder angle compared to a Kohler, the exhaust does not clear the pto hi low lever. I tried to cheat and use permatex instead of gaskets. But once I used the gaskets and moved the muffler I was up and running. The engine is all self contained with gas tank, electric start etc. Location of the gas tank requires using a funnel to fill. You can see the adapter plate in the picture, just a big aluminum washer. The gears are from Gravely with a spacer made by Bruce (sorry no pictures).
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM   post #11 of 207
Com12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21010

Once I had the engine on I thought putting the new hubs and steering brake would be easy. After spraying, pounding, pulling and heating for over a week and a half I gave up and cut the hubs off. Even after cutting in half and pounding I had to cut again to get the hubs off. Then there were the steel spacers. By the end I was not sure if it was worth it. But I got the whole done just before our last snow storm, so I was able to do a side by side test with my older Commercial 12. My conclusion so far. The Honda makes for a better balanced tractor than the Kohler cast iron 12hp, power seems about the same but the Honda seems to maintain rpms underload better than the Kohler.
On the other hand the Honda seems fragile compared to the Kohler and the weight
of the Kohler helps with traction and momentum when plowing snow. The new wider tires on the pro tractor are turf tires so until I get chains or super lugs the jury is still out on traction. I think the steering brakes are great, makes turning with the blower on the side of a hill easy.

I seriously considered a diesel over gas, thats why I bought the Honda clone in case I change my mind. James, hope you give the conversion a try, I would loved to know who it works out. The upright design of the diesel seems like it would be a better fit and then there is the diesel torque. On the other hand the Honda is quiet and smooth. If I stay with this motor I plan to add a remote tank and airfilter setup and paint the cowling Gravely red, connect the remote throttle, choke and starter.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 AM   post #12 of 207
Com12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21010

Few more pictures and details on the adapter. I think the only issue putting any motor on these tractors is shaft length. The later tractors with the BS 16hp are straight 1" shafts the gears are no problem, if you look at one the adapter plate is much thicker than the Kohler tractors. Most engines conform to the bolt pattern so Bruce's parts are just spacers th allow the engine and the gears to line up correctly. The adapter plate positions the engine and gear spacer is just a sleeve that slides over the shaft to position the gears. I wonder what the horse power limits of this tractor are. There was someone who put a 23hp BS Vanguard on a commercial tractor, think it held up?
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM   post #13 of 207
BlownL67
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 15892

Tractor looks sweet! I really need to find a Professional like that! I'm working on getting my hands on a Professional 12 from a local municipality as we speak anyways, so I hope it works out! I will say I really like the engine on my Honda HS1132 snowblower. It's only an 11 horse, but its their "commercial grade" engine. The motor is very quiet at WOT and never seems to bog in any sort of accumulation! Sometime this summer when things slow down a bit, I think I will try to track down a K341 and try the Kohler swap on my C12. Depending on how that doing works, I will end up doing the same to my 5665. Can't be too hard, can it ? Great job and awesome progress!
BlownL67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 03:02 PM   post #14 of 207
James_98
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 9346

Nice Tractor !
Well I am going to do the swap. I have already taken the Kohler K241 off. just need to buy the plate,gears ect.
I was surprised when I started up the diesel it was very quiet. it has a fairly large muffler. I hope i don't have to take it off when I put it on the Gravely. The diesel weighs 110 pounds dry. How much does the Honda weigh ?
I have e-mailed Bruce Guthrie a couple of times. I will probably get the parts from him.
I will let you guys know how everything goes. I will take pictures

-James
James_98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 05:04 PM   post #15 of 207
Com12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21010

Honda is around 69 lbs, seemed lighter than the Kohler 8hp magnum.
That diesel seems like it would be close to a Kohler 12hp, which I think is around 128 lbs. The K241 is a 10hp correct? Where did you get the deisel, is it a Dek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.