New MTD deck belt wont' disengage. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM   post #1 of 13
Jlynch
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20189
Default New MTD deck belt wont' disengage.

Finished refurbishing my '91 Lowe's MTD 12.5/42" lawn tractor. Last (I hope) bug left is that the blades won't disengage when the deck is parked. Deck belt is flapping about pretty loose when deck is parked, but still turning the blades at a reduced rpm. Brake discs on top of deck pulleys are heating up. Blades work fine when engaged. I have take up nearly all, but not all, of the room in the adjustment rod. Belt is OEM, same legnth. Is there a seasoning process for the belts? I'll take up the rest of the adjustment, but I don't think that's going to do it;its pretty hard to lock the deck lever as it is, and this has never been a problem before. Any thoughts? I had the deck off and entirely disassembled for paint, repair etc. What did I screw up?
Jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 04:07 PM   post #2 of 13
walter g
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9285
Default Re: New MTD deck belt wont' disengage.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you.Mine takes between 8 and 10 seconds for the blade to stop.The belt is a little loose when not engaged.I have to run an errand when I get back I will check were mine is adjusted to.

Walter
walter g is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 AM   post #3 of 13
walter g

MTF Member # 9285

John, I didn't get back till after dark.I will post the measurements tommorow.

Walter
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM   post #4 of 13
Troybilt Fanatic
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21926

I checked on this model 131-669G062
754-0371A belt. The lift links should be oiled so they move easily. And the brake pads should be replaced under the foot rest.
Troybilt Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM   post #5 of 13
Troybilt Fanatic
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21926

Blade stopping time should be under 3 secs too.
Troybilt Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM   post #6 of 13
jeepersmitty
Retired Aug.31 2007

MTF Member # 6130

Make sure your belt is routed correctly.

I always know...
God won't give me more than I can handle
There are times I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much.
jeepersmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM   post #7 of 13
TxAllisMan
Tractor junky

MTF Member # 6390

I have a 42 inch mtd also look under your floorboards and you will find two breaks that come into contact with the deck belt pully and make sure their touching.

If the pads are worn out you can buy replacements and there not high. Im going to take mine off and replace the pads with thick rubber that I have and not spemd the money.
C Allis Chalmers #552
www.paristexasradio.com
TxAllisMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM   post #8 of 13
Jlynch
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20189

Thanks guys. Deck lift mechanism is fully lubed. Brake pads are worn for sure, but worked w/ old belt. I've left the pulley covers off the top of the deck while I'm troubleshooting. With engine at idle, and deck belt flapping away, blades are rotating at about 200 rpm. I can put the sole of my shoe on the disc on top of the pulley, push pretty hard and it won't stop the blade, even though the belt isn't taut, its loose and flapping. I'll recheck routing, although it seems like it would be hard to route it wrong. I'll try new pads and take up the rest of the adjustment I guess. Or go back to the old belt, which wasn't in too bad of shape.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM   post #9 of 13
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

If making final adjustments doesn't solve the problem you might try a liberal amount of talc on the belt until it gets worn in and fits the seasoned pulleys better.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM   post #10 of 13
walter g

MTF Member # 9285

John, When you pull back on the pto lever to the stop position the whole deck should move foward. Is it doing that?
Walter
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM   post #11 of 13
Jlynch
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20189

Hi Walt, yes the whole deck is moving forward, and I've shortened the adjustment rod as far as it'll go. The belt when disengaged is so loose that I can remove it from the spindles easily by hand. Today I checked the brake pads and they are glazed and pretty thin. They also aren't really clamping the disc very hard. I bent them a little to produce some more braking force, and the end effect was that the blades were stopped when I started the mower, but slowly started up. I think the problem is the old brake pads vs the new belt. As little friction as the belt has against the deck pulleys, its enough to overcome the brakes and slowly start the blades spinning. Once I throttle up, the blades get moving pretty good, even though the belt is flapping around. I think I have to get new brake pads that will really clamp down on the discs, enough to overcome either the deck pulley/belt friction, or the PTO pulley/ friction, or both.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 PM   post #12 of 13
Jlynch
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20189

For anyone interested, here's what finally worked, didn't work:

Adjust deck lift arm all the way: didn't work
New brakes, "turn" rotors: didn't work, blades still eventually started up when parked
WD40 shot on all three pulleys: Nope
Bend brake arms for more clamping force: Almost
Shot of graphite on PTO pulley: Yes!

Maybe all of the above, maybe putting pulley covers back on helps steady the slack belt and prevent it from catching, but the graphite finally nixed it. First time I've intentionally tried to get a drive belt to slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 PM   post #13 of 13
cledford3
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 26591

Interesting - I have this same issue with my Yard Machine (a tractor given to me in bad repair) 608 with a 42" deck. It started when I removed the deck to put a mulching kit on. I took the pully covers off and didn't put them back on and now, when ever the PTO is off and the tractor has been running for a while the blades will start to turn and the PTO level will start to move back into on position on its own. The belt is also new. It alos flops around and it baffles me how given its looseness it could spin the blades. If you let it go they will eventually start to turn fast enough to make a burning odor - not sure if it is belt or brakes. Anyhow, sorry to revieve an old thread - but the common issue seems to be the pully covers - which sucks for 3 reasons. Hard to pull the deck with them on, PIA to take them off (say to hose off the deck after each mow) and I tossed mine out already

-Calvin
cledford3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.