Melroe Bobcat M500 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Construction Equipment A Forum for the Big Boys Toys of All Sizes (Excavators, TLB's, Dump-Trucks, Dozers, Backhoes, etc.)

Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 PM   post #1 of 13
shenninger
Recycler

MTF Member # 21651
Default Melroe Bobcat M500

Not really sure where to put this, but does anyone know anything about the M500 Bobcat? I may have the opportunity to buy one of these relatively cheap, but it would need a complete overhaul. From what I can tell it's about a late '60s or early '70s model. It has a 20hp Kohler engine that would need rebuilt. It looks like the steel and hydraulics are in good shape. It's been sitting for several years, and the tires are dry rotted. They are car tires anyway so I'd replace them with skidsteer tires.

Hopefully someone has some insight as to what I'd be getting into.

Here's a picture of the model, but not the actual one I'm looking at. The one I'm looking at has a cage.

Ingersoll 4016
mower deck
rototiller
snow blade
snow caster
Homemade: Log splitter, Front end loader,
3 Point Hitch
Dump trailer,
Redneck BBQ
MTF Thread during build of Artic-IngerCase
4WD Artic-IngerCase Loader Tractor

shenninger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 06:22 AM   post #2 of 13
Paul J
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19817
Default Re: Melroe Bobcat M500

We had a job once where we had to replace some conveyors and in doing so, we had to clean out a lot of build up under the old ones. We needed something very small and narrow to get in there, so we rented the smallest Bobcat we could find. I remember it had a small air cooled engine, I have no idea what make the engine was, but I do remember it ran like a champ and did a fantastic job for it's size. I was surprised as to how fast it was. If it doesn't have a cage on it, make sure it has a roll bar, as the small narrow ones will flip over fairly easy on uneven ground, especially with the bucket up. Hope this helps. PJ

REMEMBER & NEVER FORGET
We all live in the land of the free
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
Paul J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 AM   post #3 of 13
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
We had a job once where we had to replace some conveyors and in doing so, we had to clean out a lot of build up under the old ones. We needed something very small and narrow to get in there, so we rented the smallest Bobcat we could find. I remember it had a small air cooled engine, I have no idea what make the engine was, but I do remember it ran like a champ and did a fantastic job for it's size. I was surprised as to how fast it was. If it doesn't have a cage on it, make sure it has a roll bar, as the small narrow ones will flip over fairly easy on uneven ground, especially with the bucket up. Hope this helps. PJ
Absolutely get the cage! I had a business back in the late 70s where OSHA came in and mandated the cage upgrade. A week later after the install, an employee dumped a 700 # part on the cage. A corner protruded through the steel, but he was unhurt. A week earlier, and I have no doubt he would have died. It's so easy to nudge the controls more than you intend with these machines and get a reaction you are not prepared for. Also, as pointed out, they get bouncy very easy and many end up tipping over.

JDFANATIC
JD2210, loaded tires, 62C MMM, 210 Loader, 47" Snowblower, York Rake, PTO Spreader, Heated Cab, JD Plug Aerator, FIMCO Sprayer, Wheel Spacers, FEMCO Folding ROPS, JD Cart, Stihl MS170 and HT101, Wallenstein BX32 PTO Chipper
JDFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   post #4 of 13
operator
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22757

That one is belt driven with centrifical clutch, which isn't a problem unless it's bad , belt is around $100.00 clutch is worse. Check that area out real good. They are good little machines for "around the house" type work.
Get a good roll cage don't make one, wouldn't be legal. You can find Bobcat junk yards all over.

Randy
Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 PM   post #5 of 13
Caseyka
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 27672

The M500 pictured looks just like mine did when I got it 20 years ago (except I have the cage). The belt drive shown doesn't actually have a clutch on it. The clutches are the forward and rearward drive clutches. It is a simple variable speed belt. Unfortunately the version shown gave me lots of trouble until I updated it to a newer version. It was fairly expensive to convert. Hopefully Bobcat still carries the conversion parts.

In case you didn't buy this machine, I'd be interested just for parts for mine. Also if anyone knows where I can get a dipstick for the Kohler K662 engine or would provide measurements off of one, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Caseyka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM   post #6 of 13
tonyb
MTF Member

MTF Member # 27338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyka View Post
The M500 pictured looks just like mine did when I got it 20 years ago (except I have the cage). The belt drive shown doesn't actually have a clutch on it. The clutches are the forward and rearward drive clutches. It is a simple variable speed belt. Unfortunately the version shown gave me lots of trouble until I updated it to a newer version. It was fairly expensive to convert. Hopefully Bobcat still carries the conversion parts.

In case you didn't buy this machine, I'd be interested just for parts for mine. Also if anyone knows where I can get a dipstick for the Kohler K662 engine or would provide measurements off of one, I'd greatly appreciate it.
http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/
tonyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM   post #7 of 13
Tigerhaze
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 28993

Quote:

Can you talk a little more about what problems you had with the variable speed drive?

Also, I own a M500 with the K662 so I can measure the dipstick if you would like. It is getting harder and harder to find parts for the engine all the time.

BTW, if anyone can tell me where I can get a replacement carb or NOS parts for that carb I would appreciate it. I have already tried Kohler authorized dealers- apparently EPA made them phase out replacement parts for that engine since they considered it to not meet emission standards.
Tigerhaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM   post #8 of 13
ILL John
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20990

I have a M500, I've replaced the varible drive with the newer upgrade, that's a $600 operation, replaced the charging system, that's a $500 operation. It's good for what I use it for, moving wagons in tight places, loading manure, general work. I wouldn't use it to do heavy digging, it'll not hold up as well as a hyd machine. All in all, it's been a good machine.
ILL John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 05:20 PM   post #9 of 13
Tigerhaze
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 28993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL John View Post
I have a M500, I've replaced the varible drive with the newer upgrade, that's a $600 operation,
Hi john, can you tell me what problems the variable speed drive had that you needed the upgrade? Thanks.
Tigerhaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM   post #10 of 13
roland drew
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37694

I am new to this site so if I make a mistake ignore it . I have a Melroe 500 Skidsteer and have read some of your replys . I did not know about an upgrade to the drive belt system . What is involved in doing this upgeade? I installed a new drive belt and it still does not work the way it should .
roland drew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM   post #11 of 13
jechrist2
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3408

Quote:
We just replaced a k662 in a 500 bobcat with Wisconsin V twin. If the dipstick you need is part of the oil fill cap I have one.

If you still need a dipstick, send me a PM with your mailing address.

Jerry Christiansen
jechrist2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM   post #12 of 13
ILL John
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20990

Jerry, Could you tell me some more about the conversion, mine just dropped a magnet segment in the flywheel again and flywheels are hard to find. grandfieldfarm@att.net Thanks, John
ILL John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM   post #13 of 13
dave_dj1
MTF Member

MTF Member # 57127

does anyone have any input on one of these? I have a chance to pick one up for a song.
thanks
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.