Wheelhorse 520-H: Your Opinion - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM   post #1 of 6
FrankMA
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 10550
Default Wheelhorse 520-H: Your Opinion

I have a chance to pick-up a 520-H (not sure of the year) with 550 hours on it. The guy is asking $ 1,950.00. It comes with a Craftsman Plow Blade (custom weld job on the old plow frame) a decent 60" (I believe) 3 blade mower deck, good rubber, wheel weights and chains. I could probably get it for about $ 1,200.00 as the guy is a little desparate for $ right now and I think this would be a fair price.

My question is this: It has a lever mounted hydro control on the right side of the steering column. I am really looking for a foot pedal controlled hydro as they are definately (IMO) more comfortable and easier to use. Can this be retrofitted and made into a foot pedal type without a major fabrication job? Is the asking price high, low or about right? I think it's on the high side and feel $ 1,200.00 would be a fair price if it can be retrofitted fairly easy.

I'm starting to look now as I would like to have a 520-H w/foot type hydro for the upcoming season. I now have a 264-6 with a shot mower deck that I use for grunt work and a Craftsman YS4500 for lawn mowing. I plan on selling both if/when I find a decent 520-H.

I'm thinking of waiting for the "right one" to come along as Spring is still a long way off around these parts. Are any 520-H model years considered better than another?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM   post #2 of 6
steddy
Living the Dream Again!

MTF Member # 19882
Default Re: Wheelhorse 520-H: Your Opinion

Give him the $1,200 before he can change his mind!!!!! This is, of course, assuming fair condition.

How'd you get your screen name?
steddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM   post #3 of 6
rwilson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20302

I have seen foot control conversion kits on ebay for a 520-H. I dont know if you can still get them from WH or not. I would jump on that deal though.
Venture over to redsquare wheel horse forum and ask them guys. They can tell you alot more than I can. Good Luck

1975 WH C-120 special
46" deck
48" craftsman blade, homemade bracket to fit.
clevis style hitch
no attachments yet
1972 WH 800 Comando
1974 WH B-80 4 speed
WH 520-H
48" deck
rwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 06:48 PM   post #4 of 6
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Well, I think $1,200 is a fair price assuming it's in good shape with no major issues needing repair and if it had normal maintenance (oil and filter changes, plugs, etc). $1,950 would be hight to me with those hours. The only WH attachment you're getting is the mower deck. A lot of these WH 520s come with at least a WH plow or blower in northern climates. When I bought my Kubota BX, the dealer offered me $1,000 trade on the WH with the attachments in my signature. I think they could have sold it for $1,500 or more. It has just under 600 hours on it.

I don't know what would be involved in a conversion to a foot operated hydro lever but I do recall someone asking the same question a while ago on this forum so you might try a search and see what comes up. I don't know if he ever posted what he ended up doing. I will say that your right hand will mostly be occupied with moving that lever back and forth depending on what you're doing (e.g., plowing or tilling). The linkage can be tightened up so that it will stay where you put it but I find it a bit stiff to move when the linkage is that tight. I usually run the motion lever with my right hand and use a wheel spinner to steer with my left. I will say that these are heavy duty well made garden tractors that can take just about anything you can throw at it.

Just a follow up on the lever conversion. I believe the current linkage uses a vertical shaft next to the steering wheel that turns a cam connected to a horizontal shaft that runs under the center hump in front of the seat, so, it might not be too bad to modify the linkage to extend the horizontal shaft further forward and then out under the right side foot rest. The older gear model WH's have a brake pedal (or clutch - not sure which) right side pedal that you could use as a motion pedal. You would need to extend the linkage as stated and then rig up some type of spring or tensioner to bring the pedal back to neutral when you let off the pedal. Also, the drive belt routes to the back in that area, so you'd need to make sure none of this interferes with that.

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
1993 Wheel Horse 520-H, 48" deck & vac bagger.
1967 Wheel Horse 1077 with 36" RD deck (in resto).
Cyclone Rake, and other toys, I mean tools
CHDinCT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM   post #5 of 6
Buzz
from South Jersey

MTF Member # 1323

Foot controls are NLA but a member of Red Square was going to makes some. I don't know if he did. Here's the link to that topic. You might contact him directly to find out.
http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/inde...l=foot+control

1954 Bantam 3000 (good original condition)
1958 RJ-58 (a work in progress)
1960 Suburban 400 (a future project)
1964 854 (restored) with SMS-425 Sickle Bar Mower (restored)
1966 856 (my worker...it keeps on going and going and going)
1968 Lawn Ranger 1-2631 (restored) I've owned it since 1972
1973 16 Automatic
1975 C-160 (A freebie!)

1989 John Deere 130
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 AM   post #6 of 6
FrankMA

MTF Member # 10550

Thank you for your feedback.

Are there any model years for the 520-H that are considered better than other model years? Does anybody know how many and what years this particular model was made?

Thanks again!
FrankMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.