ford hydro - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 PM   post #1 of 13
hoss6br
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21839
Default ford hydro

i have a GT 145 ford hydro rearend and i need to know the gpm output of the pump. ive already plumed in to system to run a dump wagon and it works great! i havent had anything in wagon that the hydro cant lift. so i wana plumb in another hydroulic motor to power a snowblower but i need the gpm out put 1st. can anybody help?
hoss6br is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM   post #2 of 13
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958
Default Re: ford hydro

The Eaton model 11 seems to be good for over 800 psi.

I'm not positive I calculated it correctly but the Eaton spec calls for 1.15 cu inches per revolution. At 3600 rpm this would be almost 18 gpm. This seems high to me but there it is.
Subaru Forester 2014 (Wife's car)
Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre 2000 (being restored)
donimbimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   post #3 of 13
hoss6br
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21839

thank you very much.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:53 AM   post #4 of 13
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

hoss,
If you had shared this info in the other thread, I'd have told you the following.

I don't believe that you can do what you wish to do and here's why.

A hydrostatic pump is a variable output pump and it is bi-directional as well. This pump is dedicated to providing oil flow to the hydraulic motor that propels the trans-axle in one direction or the other. It is a closed loop system and you cannot tap into any part of that flow.

Because it is a closed system, the hydrostatic pump also includes a small gear pump, called a "charge pump" that puts out a small gpm at a low rpm to provide "make up oil" for the hydrostatic closed loop system and to also circulate a small amount of oil through the hydro pump while the hydro pump is sitting in neutral. Thjs is done to keep the oil that is inside the hydro pump from overheating.

Assuming donimbimbo calculated the displacement correctly, then that displacement refers to the max amount of oil that the variable output hydro pump can produce at wide open throttle. To me, it sounds exceptionally high but that is neither here nor there for the purposes of this discussion. The question that you want answered is "How much oil is available for me to use elsewhere?"

The only time that the hydrostatic pump is actually pumping oil is when the tractor is moving forward or backward. If the tractor is sitting still, then the hydro pump moves zero oil. So, all you are left with is whatever amount of oil the charge pump moves on a continuous basis. My guess is that you might have 3 gpm at the 800 psi mentioned by donimbimbo and while that is adequate for a hydraulic cylinder, it certainly won't be enough to power up a motor strong enough to drive a snowblower.

No, I am not an expert on Ford GT's but I do have considerable experience with Case GT's and they are totally hydraulic drive and some models use hydraulically driven decks and snocasters. To be absolutely certain that you are getting the best info, I suggest that you go to Eaton's website and see if you can find the spec's for the pump mentioned by donimbimbo. If in doubt as to what you are looking at, then call their customer service and have them put you through to the tech department so that you are talking to someone who knows these pumps well.

In my opinion, you will need an oil flow in the region of six gallons per minute minimum from a pump capable of generating 2000 PSI, not 800 PSI. Flow is what spins the motor at a certain speed but it is pressure that does the actual work.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 AM   post #5 of 13
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958

Just to close the loop on this discussion, I'm no expert on the Ford LGT's either. Mine is recently purchased. The 800psi spec is from my owners / troubleshooting manual on the Ford LGT where it has the owner pressure testing the Eaton unit in the lines leading to the hydraulic lift.

The other spec I got from the Eaton site for the Model 11. but I overlooked the fact that the Volume of oil pumped per revolution might be for the transmission drive and not the charge pump.

I also thought the 18 gpm was high.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 AM   post #6 of 13
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

While it certainly isn't apples to apples, Case tractors use hydraulic drive, not hydrostatic drive. They are fitted with a positive displacement gear pump ranging from 8.5 gpm to 10 gpm and capable of producing 2100 PSI.

This constant flow allows the tractor to have a hydraulic PTO mounted on the rear that consists of a directional valve fitted with quick couplers. This PTO can power a three point finishing mower, a 4 ft Bush Hog, a double -acting log splitter, a HydraVac bagging system and a rototiller. Those are but a few attachments that were developed by Case and offered to the public.

And as I stated earlier, there was an "all hydraulic" tractor that used hydraulically driven decks and snocasters. All of this was made possible by the flow and pressure capabilities of the pump selected. Engine hp's ranged from 10 to 16 in the early years with 18 being added in the 80's. But no matter what motor was up front, the max hp out of the hydraulic system remained at about 14.

In order to produce 18 gpm, your Ford would need hp in the 25 to 30 range and I'm pretty sure you don't have that. And 18 gpm to propel that tractor wouldn't be cost efficient from a manufacturing standpoint either.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   post #7 of 13
hoss6br
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21839

sorry i put my quistion in wrong spot. im new to this site and to pc for that matter. thanks for the info on case tractors. guess i call eaton
Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM   post #8 of 13
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss6br View Post
sorry i put my quistion in wrong spot. im new to this site and to pc for that matter. thanks for the info on case tractors. guess i call eaton
You didn't put your question in the wrong spot. Rather, you didn't put your question in the BEST spot to get the info you were looking for. MTF has individual forums for many makes of lawn and garden tractors. Memberrs who are focused on a single brand mostly hang out in the forum for that brand. Some of them are collectors who have a vast knowledge of the product. That's why I suggested posting your question here at the Ford forum. Welcome to MTF.

You may want to stick around here to get further help with your newly-acquired GT.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM   post #9 of 13
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958

I finally found some info that may be helpful. The Eaton product catalog for the model 11 shows that the max pressure coming from the charge pump is 500psi (800 psi optional ???) at 1.5 gpm at 3600 rpm. Now this number makes sense. The is the pump that drives the lift cylinder.

The Eaton 11 INTERNAL pump is rated at 16 - 18 gpm. It drives the hydraulic motor that drives the transmission.

Hope this clears up the confusion.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 AM   post #10 of 13
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

Interesting that the hydro drive pump runs that high in GPM. The charge pump figures certainly make sense. Perfectly ok for a lift cylinder but out of the question for a motor to drive a snowblower.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 AM   post #11 of 13
sixbales
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24198

Does anyone know the GPM and pressure rating of the hydraulic pump on a Ford 3600 tractor? I'm thinking of adding a front end loader and wondering if the internal hydraulics can operate the loader at a reasonable pace.
sixbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   post #12 of 13
donimbimbo
1981 Ford 1100 4WD

MTF Member # 18958

You should probably post this over in the "Big Ford / New Holland" forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 AM   post #13 of 13
mrfixit82852
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21528

As per the specs in the Eaton11 manual.

At 3600 rpm the auxiliary pump puts out 1.5 GPM at 500 psi. The optional pump puts out 800 psi

Now is also says the filter has to handle up to 4.5GPM. But not really clear on the flow in that circuit

you can download the manual for it at the Eaton website

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss6br View Post
i have a GT 145 ford hydro rearend and i need to know the gpm output of the pump. ive already plumed in to system to run a dump wagon and it works great! i havent had anything in wagon that the hydro cant lift. so i wana plumb in another hydroulic motor to power a snowblower but i need the gpm out put 1st. can anybody help?
mrfixit82852 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.