Homemade trailer registration in PA - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Trailers We have to pull our machines once in a while...

Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM   post #1 of 17
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909
Help Homemade trailer registration in PA

Hey, I just bought a small trailer for hauling my tractor around. It is a homemade modified boat trailer. Does anyone know how to get a plate for it in Pennsylvania. I called an advanced inspection station and the guy said it was near inmpossible to do. Something about needing all the receipts. Any help would be great, thanks.
MADD Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM   post #2 of 17
Chuck_050382
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19593
Default Re: Homemade trailer registration in PA

here in IL, i just had to fill out a form listing capacities, length, color, and number of axles.

Good luck
Chuck_050382 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM   post #3 of 17
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14BolensNEPA View Post
Hey, I just bought a small trailer for hauling my tractor around. It is a homemade modified boat trailer. Does anyone know how to get a plate for it in Pennsylvania. I called an advanced inspection station and the guy said it was near inmpossible to do. Something about needing all the receipts. Any help would be great, thanks.
Well if you give your first born and wait a few years you might get it done in pa.

I tried and after a year, pa kept my money, and I went to NY and had it done asap. See the pa inspection station guy did the paper work but pa said, not good enough.

If you have the boat trailer title your ok, if not the red tape is endless.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM   post #4 of 17
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Googled your question and found this for ya. Look under "homemade trailers".
http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/o...f-vehicles.php

And the procedure for a title.
http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...ed_Vehicle.pdf

Last edited by Jim_WV; 01-08-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added info
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 PM   post #5 of 17
deereboy55
close enuff works for me

MTF Member # 19601

I built a trailer in michigan it was so easy to get a plate it was laughable. I called and was told to get the trailer weighed , and bring receipts to show I paid sales tax on the material . NO inspection ,no title, was issued a registration paper and plate 75.00 and out the door. No one ever checked to see if I actually had built a trailer or if it had lights, fenders, or any other safety equipment. My trailer has all the required safety equipment because thats the way I build things. I Expected to have to go to the local police station and have them give the trailer a quick look over but , didn't have to do that either. As regulated as thing seem to be getting this seemed unreal. Register one home built trailer in 2004 the other in 2007
deereboy55 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM   post #6 of 17
lx176mainer
tiny tractor big interest

MTF Member # 5571

I built myself a trailer a few years ago, when I went to register it here in Maine I got two questions. First What is the Make of the trailer? My response home made, and second, What is the axle rated for? I said 3500#s and left a few moments later plates in hand.

Adam
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM   post #7 of 17
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and the laughs. Small Fry, I think I will look into an out of state plate. I live close to Jeresy and know that all the ATV guys around here have Jersey plates. I think it is the whole red tape thing. I love PA, but the goverment really does things backwards here.
MADD Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM   post #8 of 17
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

Once you have a nj plate, next year when it runs out you might be able to transfer it to pa. But... it will be cheaper to leave it in nj most likly.

Pa is a good place to live but it has some old laws that need to be up dated. Not just MV either.

You might have to make a number tag for your trailer and have the weight for NJ. Any truck stop or scarp yard will weight it and give you a slip to take to the MV.

good luck
Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM   post #9 of 17
PA PLOW DAY
Plow Day Man!

MTF Member # 21366

There is a shop local to me that certifies truck bodies, and i bet they can certify trailers for the state. But then again it would be easier to do anywhere but PA. I bought a 20 ft skid steer trailer in September and just got the registration today, pretty pathetic.....
PA PLOW DAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM   post #10 of 17
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

My thinking is you might have an easier time going to a notary public? Been a very long time since I had to register a trailer in PA, but I don't remember problems. Trailer was factory built and originally bought in NJ, but I didn't have any receipts by the time I moved to PA.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM   post #11 of 17
PA PLOW DAY
Plow Day Man!

MTF Member # 21366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
My thinking is you might have an easier time going to a notary public? Been a very long time since I had to register a trailer in PA, but I don't remember problems. Trailer was factory built and originally bought in NJ, but I didn't have any receipts by the time I moved to PA.

i think his main problem is that it is homemade. i have registered 5 or 6 trailers over the last 6-7 years without an issue, but all were made by fabrication companies with serial numbers and all that official stuff.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM   post #12 of 17
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA PLOW DAY View Post
i think his main problem is that it is homemade. i have registered 5 or 6 trailers over the last 6-7 years without an issue, but all were made by fabrication companies with serial numbers and all that official stuff.
That is the problem. Home made and no numbers in the system anywhere on the planet. Pa don't like that...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 PM   post #13 of 17
Dad0850
7000 posts and climbing!!

MTF Member # 4482

We had a co-worker who was going to make a trailer and he was told that he would have to have receipts for all the materials before they would even start to register it.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 PM   post #14 of 17
Jim Hayes
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19089

You say home made modified ?
If original boat trailer and it was titled before and if that title could be recovered. just license it as a boat trailer for a year then say you modified it and want a reconstructed title If you can keep the gross wt under 3000 lbs you don't need brakes and no inspection, and the other thing you can get plates for this class $6.00 year or a 5 yr plate for $30.00

To get a title ??
I'll agree our system sucks! You may be ask where you got the parts if you don't have receipts for all materials you put into the build.

You will take two pictures of it a of the front and a of the rear to show the taillights and side markers.tongue construction with the safety chains.

Pa. want's money so you will have to show a value for a homemade one so a lot of things would have to be carefully thought out, right down to the last bolt. Now you can come up with a cost to build including materials.

Now here is the fun part ! Now since you have a cost of say $1100.00 when you go for the title you will pay $66.00 for sales tax alone, before title,Notary, new plate charges, and what ever the new laws are.

I can't see that the different counties would be different in laws , but then again this is Armstrong.

If all goes well ? then they will send a plate with VIN for the trailer to be mounted on same, a title, and a license plate. By the way these may not come in this order or even close to one another.

Another thing to mention Don't call DMV after dinner you will be on hold til quitting time listening to a lousy recording. [I think it is because they mess up so bad and still trying to straighten out the day before business.

Don't get me wrong I love Pa and I have a lot of money invested in taxes here.

Last edited by Jim Hayes; 01-10-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: add on
Jim Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   post #15 of 17
PA PLOW DAY
Plow Day Man!

MTF Member # 21366

so jim you are saying they want lots of $$$$ and his first born right?? haha

Bryan Seward, Co-Founder of the PA Plow Day and Garden Tractor Show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.