WD Hydraulic fluid - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM   post #1 of 9
Inwywind
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20948
Default WD Hydraulic fluid

My manual shows using SAE 20 Hydraulic fluid. I went to the store which had a selection of three different types of Hydraulic fluid but none said SAE 20. My guess is that in the last 50+ years there have been some improvements and this is no longer made. What fluid should I use?
Inwywind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM   post #2 of 9
Inwywind
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20948
Default Re: WD Hydraulic fluid

Has anyone used UTF universal tractor fluid? it sounds like it could be used in the Transmission, Hydraulics, Rear end, everything...
Inwywind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM   post #3 of 9
paul52446m
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5089

I have a WH D160, it is a 1980. after i bought the Hydraulic fluid, i read my manual it said i could use 10w30 motor oil. i don't if you can mix them or not?? Motor oil is less money. Later Paul
paul52446m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM   post #4 of 9
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwywind View Post
My manual shows using SAE 20 Hydraulic fluid. I went to the store which had a selection of three different types of Hydraulic fluid but none said SAE 20. My guess is that in the last 50+ years there have been some improvements and this is no longer made. What fluid should I use?
In that era it was common to use 20 or even 30 wt non detergent engine oil in hydraulic systems. Non detergent may have been recommended because of it being a little cheaper then but there was a lot of regular engine oil used too.

I'd look in my WD-45 manual to see if it says but I don't know where it is.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM   post #5 of 9
Jeff B
Jeff B

MTF Member # 4268

Maybar is right just use 10 or 20 wt engine oil. I have an old wd45 with a loader that has a little leak on the pump it get's what I have at the time engine oil, dextron and I have used 15w40 in a pinch. keep in mind that hyd. were new to ag tractors in the 40's and 50's they are very basic systems.
Jeff
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM   post #6 of 9
jeff64
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21371

Inwywind, you should use the Universal Hy-Tran (hydraulic-transmission) oil. In some old machines, the transmission, hydraulics, and differential all used the same oil out of a common reservoir. I think your WD-45 is like that. I know the B/C/CA is. Ford and Ferguson used this system with 90wt. oil, but they used a big piston. Allis used small hydraulic pumps in a high pressure system, and specified the thinner, 20wt. oil. Nondetergent was used because it did not foam and the detergents were unproven in that era. Nowadays, the UTF is the accepted substitute and it has additives that 20wt did not. It is available from Tractor Supply, or Case-IH dealers (Hy-Trans). Other dealers probably have it under some other name.

Don't use regular hydraulic fluid. It works in the hydraulics, but doesn't have the viscosity you need for the differential. The final drives still use 90wt. I've heard of people using 15-40wt in Farmall Cubs, but I don't know if they have heavy drawbar loads or just mowing. I don't know how it would hold up in a larger tractor, but I would think any modern oil would be better than 20wt of the 1940s.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM   post #7 of 9
Jeff B
Jeff B

MTF Member # 4268

WD and WD45 are not like the B and C The hyd reservoir for the wd is just hyd. the hand clutch and pto are in one and then the rear end and tranny are in there own
Jeff
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM   post #8 of 9
jeff64
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21371

Thanks, Jeff B. I didn't realize the WD/WD-45 had a separate hydraulic reservoir. I checked the Yesterday's Tractors forum, and some of those WD owners are using the Universal Hy-Trans oil in their hydraulic systems.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   post #9 of 9
Johnlaw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21699

I use UTF at work, its made for machines in which the rear end is also the hydraulic tank, it lubricates gears and runs hydraulic system. It has special additives that makes it cost more than just straight hydro fluid. Newer machines are set up this, older ones used a seperate tank for hydro system. I would not use ATF in rearends unless specified. Hope this helps
Johnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.