My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere Cozy Cab Adaptation/Restoration

41K views 150 replies 35 participants last post by  FlintMich 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After retiring the truck-mounted snow removal equipment, the John Deere machines(s) have had to step up to the task of snow removal and snow blowing for our various homes and properties. That said, having a face full of snow when the wind shifts direction has proven to be quite unpleasant. Therefore, I decided that the only reasonable solution was to find a cab.:fing32:

I've been watching the local craigslist, and internet, then happened to come across this from a fellow WFM member. He brought it down to the Blunier Plow Day this past weekend.

As you can see, this doesn't appear to be the later model 300 series cab, but does have a recess at the rear for the fuel filler neck, so perhaps it is a JD14X with modifications for an early 300? The model sticker is missing, so I'm not quite sure. I'm also not sure it matters to me given having a welder and being able to make changes....

It also has these neat internal hinges with integrated door travel limiting feature!

My plan is to fabricate the required moutning and get it situated on the tractor for this year (given the late start I'm getting this fall). Eventually, I will remove all glass/plexi and blast, repair and repaint. I'm also going to insulate and sound-dampen the heck out of this thing to try to make it manageable and at least a bit quiet inside...

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: John Deere 317 Cozy Cab Adaptation/Restoration

John -- subscribed!:thThumbsU

Congrats! I'm looking forward to following along on this, as I am simultaneously refurbing my "new" Cozy Cab. Hoping to hear and see more about the insulation/soundproofing ideas you have. One idea that recently occured to me, was whether that spray/paint-on rubberized bedliner would possibly be a good solution?

As for which model you have -- I'm certain yours is not a 14 JDX. In addition to the other differences I mentioned over in my cab thread (*repeated below), yours looks larger dimensionally. Can you get me some measurements on the width and height?

I have some good photos of what your mounting brackets and insert panels should look like -- will post them here as soon as I dig them up.

[*Note different front window sizes, and full gasket around upper widow. Internal door hinges. Also, lower rear area of cabin appears to be fabric instead of metal as on 14 JDX. As well, forward lower filler panels are removable/detachable, whereas on 14 JDX they are fixed.]

#3 ·

The mounting brackets should easy to fab,the cab on the 420 mounted on top of the fender just to the left/right of the seat,just some 90 deg angle,the front uses a 1 inch " L" to attach to the footrest.
Does the blue Kozzy cab sticker have any numbers on it

#4 ·

The mounting brackets should easy to fab,the cab on the 420 mounted on top of the fender just to the left/right of the seat,just some 90 deg angle,the front uses a 1 inch " L" to attach to the footrest.
These early Cozy Cabs are little different in that they attach to the underside/frame rather than to the fenderpan. They sort of "float" just above the fenderpan, with a gasket material closing the gap between the bottom frame of the cab and the fenderpan.

So, no holes get drilled in the fenderpans for these. There are fork-like extensions at the back of the cab that reach down and under to the frame, and a cross-member (almost like a loader sub-frame) that spans under the tractor and supports the cab at the front end.

Once I throw up those photos it will be easier to see what I mean.

#5 ·

Thats good,I really hated drilling holes in the body work.

#9 ·

Some photos of brackets and insert panels from the same model cab that John_U has….
Any idea what model this cab is? That's the exact front mounting bracket that I need (to replicate). I'll have to design my own rear since those will likely interfere with my 3-point.

#12 ·

The rear panel appears to be bolted onto the frame, but I have not looked to see how much more comes apart from these few bolts. If it's not raining tonight, I'll try to get a few more pictures.

#14 ·

The rear panel appears to be bolted onto the frame, but I have not looked to see how much more comes apart from these few bolts. If it's not raining tonight, I'll try to get a few more pictures.
I was studying that photo of the hinges and didn't' see the same bolt-together frame components that I have on the 14 JDX. I'll be interested to hear what you find.

MXZRXP, thanks for that photo!

#13 ·

whatever it takes, the cab will be worth the effort!!

I know this is not the same cab or tractor but I needed a custom mount, maybe this will provide an idea...

#15 ·

Good score on the cab. I wish I could find on in my area.

UT: The front cab crossmember, do you need to drill holes for it, or does it clamp around the bottom frame flange? I've been wondering about that design aspect in case I wind up building a cab.

#16 ·

Good score on the cab. I wish I could find on in my area.

UT: The front cab crossmember, do you need to drill holes for it, or does it clamp around the bottom frame flange? I've been wondering about that design aspect in case I wind up building a cab.
Bill,

Sorry to say, but I don't know. :dunno:

My cab is missing front and rear brackets, so all I have to go on is these photos. I have pretty much decided on an alternative method for mounting my cab, but I will show more on that over in my Cozy Cab thread.

But I do have some additional photos that were kindly provided to me by a gentleman with a 14 JDX 1st Edition. The 1st Edition is a bit different at the front mount, in that the mount tab is oriented vertically. So the cross member has a corresponding vertical tab on each end, and the bolt goes through it horizontally (on the 2nd edition, and John's cab here, that tab is horizontal and the bolt is vertical).

John, sorry to clutter your thread, but I hope these photos will help everybody. How the crossmember actually attaches to the underside of the tractor has baffled me. I'm hoping some of you clever fellas will explain. :dunno:

Attachments

#17 ·

Looks to be a clamp on system.

I might draw something in MS paint to show you what I think is up. :sidelaugh

#19 ·

My theory on the front cab mount. {rummages through closet for Nomex suit}

#20 ·

Looking at what shows in the photos UrbanTractor posted, I would say Alberta 7.3 is close in his diagram. However I would suggest the bolts and large washers probably go through an existing hole in the bottom of the tractor flange, that would draw the bracket tight to the frame.

#22 · (Edited)

I found some additional discussion on the cab like mine of which UT posted pictures. That thread stated that it was a model 22-22-37.

I didn't get outside last night to take any more pictures,had a couple late meetings and kids' bedtime. I'll plan on messing with it a bit tonight.

On Edit, I agree with the clamp-on style of the forward mounting bracket, though I will not be replicating that aspect. I'm going to use through bolts into the frame for (likely) a more secure fit and to prevent unintended motion due to vibration, etc. I have some 2" x 1/2" bar stock that I will use to replicate the OEM mount. I might add some additional gusseting, though I'm sure that's more than sufficient as-is.

#23 ·
#26 ·
#24 ·

A little late for subscribing but I am in.

John for the through frame bolts are you going to go through the side of the frame or the flange on the bottom?

#25 ·

A little late for subscribing but I am in.

John for the through frame bolts are you going to go through the side of the frame or the flange on the bottom?
I'll probably put the bolts in tension instead of shear, so up from the bottom. I need to see how close this bracket is going to be with the rear of the steering cylinder. I might have to get a bit more creative if they need to occupy relatively similar space...

#28 ·

I have had almost no time to work on this besides research. As it turns out, this cab is intended for a 300 series, so the "adaptation" portion of this thread will be less than I originally thought.

I pulled the roof today, it's quite rusty, so I'll finish cleaning it up and prime, paint and insulate some time this week.

My front and rear panels also bolt onto the frame, so that will really help when I get around to the restoration. The frame is open likely intended for running wiring harness, so I'll be able to maintain a clean look on the interior. You can also see that the rear window track is pretty rotten. I'll need to find a replacement for that....

#29 · (Edited)

My front and rear panels also bolt onto the frame, so that will really help when I get around to the restoration. The frame is open likely intended for running wiring harness, so I'll be able to maintain a clean look on the interior. You can also see that the rear window track is pretty rotten. I'll need to find a replacement for that....[/IMG]
The rear window track doesn't look too bad, worst case it's probably a matter of replacing the dense felt liner in the gasket track. Shouldn't be too difficult.

The open frame is definitely handy for wiring -- the loom can be fed up through it to the top of windshield where most of the business takes place. But I am planning to fill as much of the frame as possible with expanding foam, as part of an "acoustic dampening" program. :fing32:

#32 ·

The cab is sitting on the tractor!

While it's not actually attached to anything, it fits with minimal issue. I do have a bit of interference with the dual brake pedals (which is not unheard of). I'm going to trim the pedal/pad to give myself an extra 1/2" or so.

Overall, I'm pleased with the fit, and can now start working on the front and rear mounting brackets. The larger rear brackets are bulky and won't fit well around my three point hitch, so I'm going to have to modify them, likely either trim them up a few inches to also improve the clearance to the fender pan, or remove them entirely in favor of a different mounting method behind the seat using the fender pan bolts/supports.

#33 ·

Looking good. :thThumbsU I can't wait to do a test fit on mine, too.

On the brake pedal clearance -- it looks like there's been some rubbing there in the past, so like you said not unusual. Before you trim the pedal, you might consider re-orienting it. I have seen where the pedal was turned down 90* so it is mounted vertically instead of horizontally. That would get you better than an inch and could be put back when the cab is off.

Did you test clearance for opening the hood with the window folded up?

How were you supporting the cab without the brackets in place? I am going to have to do the same on the test fit....

#34 ·

The seals are just resting on the fenderpan, and it is holding itself in place. The rear supports are rubbing up against the rear of the fender as well, which is less than desirable and scratching the paint.... Hence the other thought to rework; though I'd really like to build a rear support that would allow the cab to tilt backwards onto a cart or for easier removal.

I haven't checked the hood clearance, but did put the roof back on - these were not intended to be used with the taller HD seat suspension, I'll have to put the old "U" seat springs back on for winter use.

Another couple pictures of the front mounts. Wow this thing needs a bath. It's obviously a working tractor....

#35 ·

... but did put the roof back on - these were not intended to be used with the taller HD seat suspension, I'll have to put the old "U" seat springs back on for winter use....
I have the "U" springs and I'm still worried about headroom. It's hard to get an exact read without the cab being mounted, but I have measured several times and I keep coming up with headroom clearance that is going to be very iffy. And I am not tall.

I am hoping to eek out an extra 1/2-1" inch or so when I mount it. And I'm thinking about using the 1/4" noise abatement sheets that Fehr Cab sells, in the overhead.

I like those rubber mounts, btw.

#37 ·

Those cabs are cool! You guys are making me jealous!

#39 ·

Looking at the pictures (of the top off) on page 2, It appears to me that some one inch square tube could be added before the top is reattached or maybe 2 or 3 tubes for you tall guys?
That's a good suggestion, but it might be a little trickier than that.

The roof piece looks like a square with sides that are turned down 90*. But the forward edge that turns down to the window is only angled about 60* or so, to allow it to fair into the angled front facade of the cab. So if you raise the cap up a few inches, something other than square tubes will need to be done differently at the front section.

We're open to suggestions!

#40 ·

Replaced the seat suspension for the old "u" springs, MUCH more headroom and my view is more centered through the front windshield.

I also ordered a new wiper motor kit from TMC.
http://tmcin.com/modeltmc-0091101-1...th2-13shaftandcomplete14wiperarmandblade.aspx

I need to pick up some steel tube tomorrow for the front mount, planning to spend a few hours on it Saturday, hopefully get it secured to the tractor by the end of the weekend.

#41 ·

Dyna mat is a great product for sound insulation. Has a foil cover on it also. Not cheap however. Most of it is self adhesive to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.