Jd 5425 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM   post #1 of 7
bravo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20064
Default Jd 5425

I have a JD 5425 that won`t start for the first time. Turn switch on, all dash lights come on and stay on until switch is turned off. This is not normal. Starter does nothing. What are the dash lights telling me? I mean all dash lights come on. This must be some kind of indicator. Thanks
bravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM   post #2 of 7
skcsbrh
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18268
Default Re: Jd 5425

Sounds like it could be the ignition switch.
USS TULLIBEE (SSN-597), USS FULTON (AS-11), USS PAIUTE (ATF-159), USS BAINBRIDGE (CGN-25), USS ASHLAND (LSD-48), USS GRAPPLE (ARS-53) Naval Station Guam, US Forces Carribean Key West FL, EOD Group Two VA, Allied Command Atlantic (NATO), VA.
skcsbrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM   post #3 of 7
jd110
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6718

Have you tried to jump-start it? Sometimes low voltage can cause the instrument panel to not complete it's bulb check. I would suspect a bad battery, cable, or dirty connection. Also be sure that neutral switches on transmission and pto are in neutral. Does the starter click at all? Is this a reverser or sync shift? Is it a cab tractor or open station?
jd110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   post #4 of 7
bravo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20064

My JD 5425 is open station, sync shift. I have not tried to jump start it. The battery seems to be OK. I did a slow 12hr. charge on it. I have not had any trouble starting the engine in the past, but the weather has gotten cold. In the thirty`s here, so the battery could be weak. There is no click, chatter, nothing at all that would indicate the starter is trying to kick in. Normal starting is when I turn the switch on, 4 beeps, gauges check, and I start the engine. Now I turn switch on all dash lights come on including signal directional arrows(not blinking) instrument panel illumination, indicator lights, and gauges, no beeps. I turn switch to start and nothing. The dash panel lighting up like this must be telling me something, but I don`t know what. It is possible it is the battery. Tractor has 540hrs. and is a 2005. Thanks for any help you can give me. All switches in neutral (PTO, Trans.), Cleaned battery terminals. ???????
Old 11-25-2008, 06:49 AM   post #5 of 7
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

I would have your battery tested...

Here are your manuals online...

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE260579_19/?tM=

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE260580_19/?tM=
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM   post #6 of 7
bravo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20064

Paul, I had the battery tested today, it tested good. Thanks for the manuals. I did not know there is a fuse link at the battery. I will check this and hook up the battery and see what I can find. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM   post #7 of 7
bravo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 20064

The fuse was good. I put the battery back in the JD, turned switch on, all was normal, hit start and she fired up. I don`t know what was wrong. She cured her self, so I`m a little nervous about that, but glad its running. Is it possible that something reset when I disconnected the battery, I don`t know. Anyway just letting you know what happened. Thanks to all for trying to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.