Craftsman II HD Garden Tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 PM   post #1 of 10
HiPocket
Landscaping Nut

MTF Member # 5863
Default Craftsman II HD Garden Tractor

I've ran across this tractor for sale. Grey boxy look hood, step over type mount. Has manual six speed with Hi/Lo range. Engine is Kohler Magnum 18 hp engine. Looks like mid 80's to early 90's.

Anyone know much about this motor and the transmission. I assume thats probably a pretty stout tranny, but skeptical about motor. Going to look at it tommorrow. Asking 550 new front tires and battery. model # 917251481 is close to this one.

Thanks Eric

PS Looked at a 60's era suburban today but it was real shabby but had bunch of attachment. Had to pass on that too much work to shape it up.

Last edited by HiPocket; 09-07-2008 at 11:31 PM.
HiPocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 11:23 PM   post #2 of 10
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575
Default Re: Craftsman II HD Garden Tractor

Looked at a 60's era suburban today but it was real shabby but had bunch of attachment. Had to pass on that too much work to shape it up.

Lots of those attachments would fit on a later model SS which aren't rare at all and pretty reasonably priced.
attorney_barnabas_collins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM   post #3 of 10
HiPocket
Landscaping Nut

MTF Member # 5863

Quote:
Originally Posted by attorney_barnabas_collins View Post
Looked at a 60's era suburban today but it was real shabby but had bunch of attachment. Had to pass on that too much work to shape it up.

Lots of those attachments would fit on a later model SS which aren't rare at all and pretty reasonably priced.
Yea I thought about that but they all needed to be sanded and painted. THe whole collection had been outdoors for years. Sad looking stuff.

If I was retired and the whole collection was free or 100 maybe so. The deck had a big hole in it. I need something thats ready to at least cut grass and pull a cart. Thats why I'm looking at this CIIHDGT.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 PM   post #4 of 10
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

Omyback: Does it look like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/...405c187f24.jpg
Or this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...c84f67f4e4.jpg

Both are horizontal twin cylenders- the dark grey is a 20HP onan- the silver one is a 18HP briggs- both have the manual 6 speed- 3 hi/ 3 low gears and 44" decks.

Both of those are my recent additions to my collection, and both need some work- the silver 86 craftsman II is getting a full repaint- chassis/sheetmetal due to some serious rust. The deck also needs to be fully rebuilt/repainted as well as rebuilding the mandrels- due to seizing.

I havent actually had the 86 or the 90s GT6000 out of the shed yet, as im still working on the 86 and the GT is still where i pushed it in the corner, waiting its turn.

I couldnt tell y much about the kohler motor- as ive never owned one before- im sure the trans tho is a pretty stout unit, its belt driven- side input.

Since theyre both in rough shape ( and got two others lawntractors in the deal) i paid alot less for them.

Ive looked at replacement part prices for my craftsmans and i have to say- they arent cheep.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM   post #5 of 10
HiPocket
Landscaping Nut

MTF Member # 5863

Looks more like the first one.

The deck mandrel covers are plastic though. Looks a little taller but could be my perspective. I've got to go look at it when I'm over that way tommorrow.

May be too pricey. Deck is rusty but may just need sanding and a little paint. I see where sears still sales the deck itself on the similar model number i found through google by using the model decription.

THanks Eric
Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 AM   post #6 of 10
Dangeroustoys56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13834

Make sure the deck works- like i mentioned the mandrel assemblies were seized- i looked into new ones from sears- $85 each outer ( secondary) and $87 for the center( primary) one- comes as a complete unit with pulley/mandrel housing.

I found a way around that- the bottom blade holder is welded on as well- if you cut the weld off the holder - it comes off and you can disassemble the unit and buy new berings alot cheeper. I plan on drilling a hole for a grease fitting before reassembling them.

The other BIG expenses are the deck engagement clutch- new from sears its....$430 to replace it.

My GT6000 also has a electric linear actuator to lift/lower the deck- that brand new ( from sears ) is a staggering $450 to replace.

If you could find em on ebay cheeper- might be a better deal- even my lawntractor parts dealer couldnt beat sears pricing - he said the mandrels were a Gilson replacement item.

Just some info ive run into while rebuilding these beasts....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 AM   post #7 of 10
HiPocket
Landscaping Nut

MTF Member # 5863

[QUOTE=Just some info ive run into while rebuilding these beasts....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good feedback. I'll keep it in mind. I guess if the deck is slow to raise with a good battery then the lift motor might be a likely early $$ repair.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:49 PM   post #8 of 10
KC14
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 18438

some times you can get some linear actuator off ebay. I just got a used one for my gt 16
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM   post #9 of 10
Grateful11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 5025

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiPocket View Post
I've ran across this tractor for sale. Grey boxy look hood, step over type mount. Has manual six speed with Hi/Lo range. Engine is Kohler Magnum 18 hp engine. Looks like mid 80's to early 90's.

Anyone know much about this motor and the transmission. I assume thats probably a pretty stout tranny, but skeptical about motor. Going to look at it tommorrow. Asking 550 new front tires and battery. model # 917251481 is close to this one.

Thanks Eric

PS Looked at a 60's era suburban today but it was real shabby but had bunch of attachment. Had to pass on that too much work to shape it up.
They're built plenty tough I've had one since '89 with a Briggs twin 18hp. They are correct about there not being as many attachments for the 80's models as there are for the 60's and early 70's but that depends on what you plan on doing with it. I've put mine through heck and back and it just comes back for more. It's had a think 4 batteries and each belt has been replaced twice but nothing more, it does need a new brake band. I keep the front blade on pretty much year round, we use it to clean the cow lots, about 10,000 sq.ft. of concrete, better known as black gold(manure). See my avatar thingy on the right.
'91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
'78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy
Grateful11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM   post #10 of 10
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

A friend has a early 90's Yard Pro (same as Craftsman) tractor with a Kohler Magnum 18 hp engine. It is a cast iron, tuff as they come engine. That trans is a good one also. Same as the old Sears Suburban's.
Corse it all depends on if the took care of the tractor.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.