sod cutter help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM   post #1 of 11
kycoot
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 16322
Default sod cutter help

hi i'm new to this site so i may be asking a question that has already been posted [but i couldn't find it] i'm looking for a plan to make a 3 point sod cutter? or a place to buy 1 [cheap of course] thanks, kycoot
kycoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM   post #2 of 11
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage
Default Re: sod cutter help

kycoot..

Thats a good question...I might be interested in one myself to pull behind the 2N..

Enjoy all of the many Forums on MTF..
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM   post #3 of 11
TOMMY

MTF Member # 11701

Kycoot,enjoy the forum!!

~TOMMY~
74 Sears ST-12
73 Sears ST-12
TOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 PM   post #4 of 11
mdmre
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20697

I made one a couple of years ago. I mounted it to the 3 ph on a 20 hp garden tractor. I designed it so the cutting bar would be about 3 to 4 inches below ground. This would slice the grass just below the roots and it worked very well. I made it as wide as the 3ph arms would spread. I also put the top link attach point higher than usual, this made the attachment swing in an arc when raised or lowered. This helps to get the thing started in the ground.
I have a picture or two if you are interested.
mdmre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   post #5 of 11
david doyle
Banned

MTF Member # 8803

please post tthose pics if you can. what did you use for the cutting bar.
david doyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM   post #6 of 11
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmre View Post
I made one a couple of years ago. I mounted it to the 3 ph on a 20 hp garden tractor. I designed it so the cutting bar would be about 3 to 4 inches below ground. This would slice the grass just below the roots and it worked very well. I made it as wide as the 3ph arms would spread. I also put the top link attach point higher than usual, this made the attachment swing in an arc when raised or lowered. This helps to get the thing started in the ground.
I have a picture or two if you are interested.
mdmre....

Yes by all means lets see the picture..
Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 PM   post #7 of 11
Dude11
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 8852

The only sod cutter i've seen and used had the blades virberating from side to side so as to cut the sod & dirt,plus a gauge so you didn't dig too deep.Looks like if you just pull a blade you would ball-up the sod.Unless you could build it with the blade at a small angle.What ever you figure out
Old 12-19-2008, 04:51 PM   post #8 of 11
mdmre
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20697

I cound only find one picture of the sod cutter. It will have to wait until spring to get a picture of the sod cutter in action. I used 2" x 2" angle for most of the frame and 1.5" flat bar for the rest. I used a grinder to sharpen the leading edge of the flat bar. The flat bar is the actual cutting edge for the grass and soil. To determine how big to make it, I put my 3ph in the lowest point, measured to the floor and added 3 to 4 inches and this is the length from the bottom to the pin. I figured that about 6 inches of heighth for the flat bar, the part that might be in the dirt would be sufficient. I shortened my top link to it's shortest setting. I then put the back of the tractor on a 4" block of wood, and measured from the floor to where the top link would possibly attach and give me a perfectly vertical alignment. This is where I mounted the attach point for the top link. This arrangement leads to the cutter swinging out and up in an arc when raised and exactly the opposite when lowered, almost the same type of action you get when you would dig with a shovel. This seems to get the cutter started in the ground easily. All the times I have used this, it cuts a nice path through the grass. There is no bunching of the grass. After a pass, I just roll up a section of grass and throw it in a wagon and haul it away. I have found one thing that I intend to change. That is to reinforce the 2x2 angle. Sometimes when cutting, the angle iron wants to flex a little where the two side pins are. This flexing is barely noticable. It has not bent or twisted the metal at all, I just noticed it once and figured I should fix it before it becomes a real problem. I plan to take a length of 1x1 angle and weld to the front side of the 2x2 angle to stop the flexing. I think it works pretty well and I have no complaints about how good it works. It has certainly saved me from lots of blisters and sore backs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sod Cutter.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	57167  
Old 12-19-2008, 04:59 PM   post #9 of 11
mdmre
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20697

There is always another alternative that is tried and true and never fails. It even rolls the grass over for you.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 PM   post #10 of 11
david doyle
Banned

MTF Member # 8803

Thanks alot for the pic and explaination. That will save me a lot of trial and error. really appreciate it.
david doyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 07:40 PM   post #11 of 11
mdmre
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20697

Hope it helps everyone that is interested. One thing I would check before making things permanent. When I raise the 3ph all the way up, the top comes very close to my seat. I checked to make sure that everything would swing and move without hitting anything before I made the welds permanent.
For the cutting edge, I took an angle grinder and sharpened the forward edges of the flat bar to a 45 degree angle. So far, the edge has not dulled much that I can tell and it still seems to cut through the grass pretty good.

I suppose if you want more control over the depth you could add a depth wheel to each side. For my purposes, I thought that the 3 to 4 inch depth when fully lowered would do for me.

For those of you interested, I am just wondering if you are looking to cut the grass and save the grass for future use or are you looking to cut the grass off and throw it away. I have used this to remove the grass and prepare the area for a flower bed or garden and was never concerned with saving the grass. It is a lot easier to prepare a garden this way, trying to start a garden from scratch through the grass with a tiller can really shake you to death as well as the tractor and tiller plus it leaves a lot of grass that wants to regrow later.

Good luck everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.