Troy Bilt electric PTO problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM   post #1 of 4
eggburt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 15873
Help Troy Bilt electric PTO problem

I have been experiencing intermittent trouble with the electric PTO on my Troy Bilt lawn tractor. When shifting form forward to reverse and then back to Forward, I am unable to get the electric PTO to re-engage. It is happening more frequently, now. I know there is a safety switch involved with this process but and not certain where is is located. Can anyone suggest a course of action?
eggburt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM   post #2 of 4
Wood Chip
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 13576
Default Re: Troy Bilt electric PTO problem

I have an older Troy Bilt that sounds like it does something similar. After mowing for 30 minutes or so if I switch off the PTO it will not start back up again when I hit the switch.

I have to wait 10 or 15 minutes then it is fine. I figure that heat is the problem. I don't know if there is any fix other than replacing the electriacal coil that engauges the PTO. I would also like to know if there is a fix for this problem.

Randy
Wood Chip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM   post #3 of 4
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

I would look for a bad connection or a wire that is broken with the ends making part time contact.

You could run jumper wires directly from the battery to the terminal of the electric clutch to see if the trouble is in the wiring ahead of that connector.

Also, check the wire leads where they go into the clutch.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM   post #4 of 4
Gasket
MTF Member

MTF Member # 18302

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggburt View Post
I have been experiencing intermittent trouble with the electric PTO on my Troy Bilt lawn tractor. When shifting form forward to reverse and then back to Forward, I am unable to get the electric PTO to re-engage. It is happening more frequently, now. I know there is a safety switch involved with this process but and not certain where is is located. Can anyone suggest a course of action?
Hello, another good place to look is the switch,sometimes they give trouble. It may also be an electrical ground problem. I also like the suggestion of the wire making partial conection. This may be another good place to look especially if there is a possible contact with the belt. Sometimes it's good to have so many good thinkers on a problem. Good luck John.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.